Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Best Before Date Roulette – Houmous edition
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

“Best before 17 January 2017”.

Houmous isn’t an advanced level round of Best Before Date Roulette, is it? I’ll be fine. 🙂

jimdubleyou

You’ll know if it’s off – it tastes metallic.

IHN

It be reet.

NZCol

I’d eat that

wwaswas

You’ll know if it’s off – it tastes metallic you’ll be letting go at both ends for days.

ftfy.

aP
    Free Member

Simons_Nicolai is the king of “old food” here I think as he’s gradually emptying his mother’s fall out shelter of 1970s saltines and tinned vegetables. Not sure about the relative use of Potassium Iodate tablets though, probably best to keep those safe.

steve-g
    Free Member

Opened and already half eaten I would likely leave it, but if it’s still unopened it should be fine

zilog6128

Tinned stuff is different though, theoretically good forever!

If there’s bacterial growth in the hummus it’ll be swollen, if not it’s probably OK. If it’s already opened I would definitely bin it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This has been very helpful, thank you all.

I shall report further if it turns out I have lost the round. 🙂

Drac

Bin it like all houmous should be.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Use as humus

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Week old hummus? that’s not even amateur level.

Aside from my exploration of my mother’s deep archive we’re normally pretty good with the stuff in our own fridge. A pack of Ocado Cooking Chorizo did get buried and forgotten over Christmas though. It went out of code on 24th December but we’re still planning on eating them.

zilog6128

Cured meat still sealed in modified atmosphere packaging? ooooooooh risky 🙂 try again when you’re ready to join the big boys and eat something with at least a slight risk of botulism

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Cured meat still sealed in modified atmosphere packaging? ooooooooh risky

Educate me 🙂 Cooking Chorizo has a much shorter BB date than ‘ready to eat’ – I’ve alway assumed due to the much higher water content. It’s definitely meant to be cooked before eating – is it ‘part cured’?

(that said, there was a discussion on RadMac the other week about eating raw sausages….)

duffle
    Free Member

A tub of houmous took out me and mi dad for a day or so and that was only 2 days out…..he’s never touched it since! 😐
    I presumed it was an easy win against the chick pea paste but it offered more resistance than our digestive tract.

slowoldman

Is there any fur on top?

hels
    Free Member

I read that as “should I eat Houmous before I go on a date”

To which I would reply – depends how much garlic it contains.

orangespyderman

that said, there was a discussion on RadMac the other week about eating raw sausages..

I eat raw bacon/lardons – and they’re actually quite nice. Probably even worse for me than cooked as none of the fat even gets a chance to melt off and stay in the pan 😐 *shrugs*

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you die after eating the hummus, we know what to blame, regardless of the last things in your vicinity while alive. 😉

zilog6128

Educate me Cooking Chorizo has a much shorter BB date than ‘ready to eat’

it’s still semi-cured otherwise it’s sausage not chorizo. It is meant to be cooked though! You can tell if sausage has gone bad as it goes slimy & pimply (not the same as the safe white mould that forms on drying chorizo). Also if it’s sealed & the package isn’t swollen you’re normally safe!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Old? That’s barely mature. Veggie stuff is generally fine unless it’s got visible mould or smells/tastes bad. Meat I’m a bit more careful with but not usually bothered by being a few days past it’s date. In fact I just had a bit of smoked salmon that was being sold off cheap last week, it was absolutely fine.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Also if it’s sealed & the package isn’t swollen you’re normally safe!

That’s my normal assumption – trust your eyes and nose. If packaging is blown and the meat looks or smells bad then discard. otherwise just make sure it’s cooked thoroughly.

benp1

^^^ this is the approach I take

I’ve eaten some amazingly well-past-sell-by-date food, you’ll generally know if it’s off

Apart from milk. Who smells normal milk to know what it smells like? We generally get through it so quickly that it’s not a problem though

enfht
    Free Member

What happened to the dude who posted a similar question on Christmas Eve with a fresh Turkey past its ‘Use By’ and everyone told him there must be a typo on the packaging, did he die?

Drac

Who smells normal milk to know what it smells like?

Me to make sure it’s not sour.

slowoldman

Drac this morning.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70S8GP5h3oU[/video]

Drac

Not quite I get mine deliverd. 😀

goss
    Free Member

The best before on my Chorizo is 28.09.16. seemed fine in october and november. And honestly forgot it in december being fed up with christmas food. thank you for starting this discussion, I should eat my Chorizo 😕 😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

Update?

Or is the OP in the loo..

funkmasterp

Pfft. That hummus is well within safe to eat parameters. Use by dates are just a guide. Years ago a friend and I, whilst absolutely smashed, ransacked his parents chest freezer. We found an apple and blueberry pie at the bottom of said freezer. The use by date was some point in the mid 1980’s. We defrosted it in the microwave and ate it. This was in 1997.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Out of date Hummous
    Causes Baboon Bummus

drlex
    Free Member

^ Ronnie? Purple Ronnie; is that you?

shermer75
    Free Member

I eat raw bacon/lardons

Whaaaat?!?!?

jimmy

I made a bacon, egg and HP sauce sandwich sorry wrap (thats what needed using) – all items out of date to a combined total of 386 days. Admittedly most was the HP sauce, but it gave me some satisfaction to make, eat and survive.

spectraken
    Free Member

I’ve eaten hummus which was two weeks out of date and i didn’t die. It was an opened tub, stored in the fridge. Tasted okay too. I’ll sure you’ll be fine!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Admittedly most was the HP sauce

Sauces don’t count. Our current bottle of HP is dated 4/2012. The two jars of Piccalilli we brought back from my mums are 2010 and 2011. Can’t work out whether one of them is off or just nasty. I’ve not worked out what to use the Teriyaki sauce on yet. That’s 2002..

bearnecessities

Cheap & tasty snack – Grilled hummus on toast with a roughly chopped garlic clove on top.

orangespyderman

Whaaaat?!?!?

Which bit wasn’t clear? 😕

giantalkali
    Free Member

I recently noticed some complimentary airline peanuts in my mums fridge from a flight we took when I was 17. I’ve left them there to see how long they stay.

I’m 40 next week.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Best Before Date Roulette – Houmous edition’ is closed to new replies.