Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Best All Round Tyre
  • clowner
    Free Member

What are peoples opinions on the best all round tyre?

Something that is fit and forget for all year use?

Northwind

Nevegals for me.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

No such thing IMO, used to run Conti Vert Pro's year round until I realised how much of a difference changing tyres can make.

Jellybaby
    Free Member

Continental Verticals all the way

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Until recently I would have said Maxxis High Roller, but as above….I have had sooooo may recommendations to go for Kenda Nevegal's – these are what I have just ordered!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Such a personal preference thing as well, I rode on a pair of Nevegals after they were recommended by a few people & hated them-thought they were one of the worst tyres ever made.

grtdkad

I love my NobbyNics – worked a treat at Mayhem – from dry and dusty to the plasticine woods, loads of grip…

…AND was using NNs when we had 6 inches of snow during the winter – an amazing tyre!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

goldenwonder – Member

Such a personal preference thing as well, I rode on a pair of Nevegals after they were recommended by a few people & hated them-thought they were one of the worst tyres ever made.

True…but going to have to try something different! The old Heckler did really well on the High Rollers, but the new Heckler just doesn't seem to have the grip the old one did on High Rollers – so figured tyres (cost) would be a good starting point??

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

26"? If I had to choose one tyre .. the Bontrager Mud X .. the best tyre for mud, still rolls fast.

Nobby Nics also very good !

Nev's far too slow and draggy for me!

orangefive
    Free Member

Ignitors – 2.35 Lusts

gonetothehills
    Free Member

orangefive – Member

Ignitors – 2.35 Lusts

How do the ones that On One have for £15 compare? I think they're the 70A ones and obviously not LUST, but worth a punt for an 'all round' tyre…?

cheers_drive

I've tried quite a few and have settles on Maxxis Advantage

ton

geax sagguaro

mboy
    Free Member

Nevegals for me.

Nev's aren't a bad tyre, but they're distinctly average in all conditions compared to so many that are good, or even great. They're also VERY slow…

Continental Verticals all the way

Were distinctly average when they came out about 8 years ago… Tyres have developed quite a lot since!

Something that is fit and forget for all year use?

I have tried and tried and tried over the years to find this tyre, but I have come to the conclusion that for riding in the UK, it is too much of a compromise. So the answer is Bontrager Mud X's for October til March (for they are quite simply unparalleled as a winter XC tyre) and whatever you like for March til October… Personally I generally prefer a faster tyre for summer use, but if you ride mainly rocky/rooty trails then something beefier might suit.

Bing
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X

end of thread!

Mugboo

Specialized Enduro Pro but i don't think they do em anymore 🙄

Northwind

I'm yet to find anything with the grip of a nevegal in most conditions that isn't just as slow tbh, they do come in a range of flavours of course, the 2.35 stick-e is pretty draggy but then it sticks like spunk in the bath, just ran mine down the fort william dh route at the weekend 😉 The 2.1 stick-e or 2.35 DTC are a better allrounder, grip without so much drag. My big bike gets a 2.35 stick-e and the little one gets a DTC, they each complement the bike they're on well.

I have no idea why anyone would want a Mud X for year round riding, though they're fantastic winter tyres. I guess it depends where you ride though.

Simon

Jase, I swapped my Highrollers for 2Bliss Spesh Eskars a couple of months ago and I think they're fantastic, I'm using them tubeless and the best bit is they're only £22.

jonb
    Free Member

whatever is on offer when the last set went bald.

nuke

Bonty Mud X
    end of thread!

Thread didn't stop but I'd agree with that for XC 😀

Great tyres, still running one on the front of my XC bike even now the dry trails have arrived.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

maxis minions dh

james
    Free Member

"I have no idea why anyone would want a Mud X for year round riding"
    If you stick new ones on in October/November, then they'll gradually become lower profile over the course of the next year ..

With a 62a centre profile (55a sides) and part worn tread they're not that bad in summer, they're can be quite good in some of the more iffy 'summer' conditions we've had the past few years

All rounder? Maybe a Bontrager ACX, available in harder compounds or the same 55/62a, oh wait, they just ditched them with no direct* replacement ..

*the XR4 is ~200g heavier for the 2.2" tubeless and not available in 'GumBi' dual compound 55/62a

Sandwich

Yes all tyres are round! Next

ahwiles
    Free Member

i seem to get on with anything big and knobbly, old ones in summer when it's dry, new ones for winter when they're a bit grippier.

owt'll do really. but maxxis advantage are good…(mainly because they're really big)

giantjason
    Free Member

another vote for nobby nics

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Maxxis Crossmark

Spesh Eskars are ok

GaryLake
    Free Member

Getting your pressures right and the compound can have way more effect than the actual tread pattern. As is being taught to ride properly! I thought I was alright but Clive Forth had me riding quicker in the wet on Small Block 8s than I was on normal tyres in the dry…

tinribz
    Free Member

Small Block 8s

thwang-01
    Free Member

uboom hot 2.1 xc

Lionheart
    Free Member

Have too many tyres in the house to mention but two bikes keep the same tyres on all year round for all conditions fron singletrack to DH-ish and one has Bonty ACXs on the other Specialized Enduro Pros (Eskars closest match here). Both work great as alrounders. Also like High Rollers and Nobby Nicks and Mountain Kings and Nergals and Sticky E Blue Groves all as alrounders but on different bikes for slightly different alroundedness -ie Nobby Nicks on Yeti ASR SL fast trail, High Rollers on Heckler more DH ish trails, etc…

gonetothehills
    Free Member

So go on then – what combination (front and rear) of Maxxis Advantage, Crossmark & Ignitor then? All XC, 70A, 2.1" and wire bead and all cheap at CRC – especially with that code… just don't know where to start… 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

For all round I'd just go Advan front and rear mate. I personally don't get on with them even in the much softer compounds but I know plenty of riders who class them as the ultimate allrounder…

alexxx
    Free Member

I've had high rollers on my bike for about 5 years

Mugboo

Simon

I'll give them Eskars a try next time cos these Enduro pros are superb. Are the eskars dual compound?

Simon

Yep, dual compound and 2.3 in size, but a "big" 2.3, wide and tall.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Maxxis Ardent 2.25's

epicsteve
    Free Member

Eskars

AndyF1
    Free Member

Maxxis maxlite 310…

billyboulders
    Free Member

Smoke and Dart

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Best All Round Tyre’ is closed to new replies.