Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)
  • Belt-Drive Full sus update
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

^^^ Nice!!!!!

kimbers

that pinion looks excellent

combine it with a belt drive and itll be like riding the bike of the future, today!

molgrips
    Free Member

Rohloff get 14 gears into a ‘gearbox’, although chain driven at present.

When I said ‘shaft driven’ I meant a car or motorbike style one. Rohloff is an epicyclic gear system and is therefore inefficient in terms of power transfer.

The pinion thing could be either, I dunno.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the pinion box is a motorcycle style one but with 3 shafts not two to allow lots of gears without it getting too wide

Shaft drive is inherently inefficient as the drive has to turn thru 90 degrees twice. In motorcycles you loose about 10% of the power

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Rohloff get 14 gears into a ‘gearbox’, although chain driven at present.

strictly speaking you could fit other types of sprocket to the thread…

Rohloff is an epicyclic gear system and is therefore inefficient in terms of power transfer.

they claim ~96%+ efficiency – certainly the hub never got warm

epicyclo

I think the transmission of the future is chain drive, but totally encased in an oil bath chaincase like Sunbeams in the past or Katz bikes right now. We could run much lighter chains and sprockets.

However as long as we run exposed transmissions, belt is the way to go.

The advantage of a rear hubgear over gearboxes is that the torque is stepped down between the crank and the rear wheel so the gears can be lighter.

Doing a step down between the crank and a centrally mounted gearbox suffers from the lack of room to do it and also introduces another set of drivetrain losses.

If you don’t have a stepdown then you need stronger gear components which is difficult to do without a significant weight penalty – probably close to 100% at a guess.

Any idea of the weight of those centre mounted gears?

andrewh
    Free Member

That Pinion looks great.
    Someone tell me one of those at the fron and a Rohloff at the back wouldn’t work for a 252 speed( minus some overlaps probably, but we still count them in a 27sp system) bike? What would be the effective range there?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Half term again?

epicyclo

andrewh – Member
    That Pinion looks great.
    Someone tell me one of those at the fron and a Rohloff at the back wouldn’t work for a 252 speed( minus some overlaps probably, but we still count them in a 27sp system) bike? What would be the effective range there?

Not as light as combining a Cambio Gear 16 speed front and a Rohloff 14 speed.

I have both and occasionally feel tempted to put them together.

I think the Pinion weighs half a ton though.

andrewh
    Free Member

Not as light as combining a Cambio Gear 16 speed front and a Rohloff 14 speed.

I have both and occasionally feel tempted to put them together

Please do, I would love to see that.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you don’t have a stepdown then you need stronger gear components which is difficult to do without a significant weight penalty – probably close to 100% at a guess.

I’ve been thinking about this, and I don’t think it holds water – if you only have one front and rear sprocket, it’s not much of a weight penalty to have them both quite large, and the torque situation is no different to singlespeeding – apart from the possibility of pedalling up much steeper stuff than normal singlespeeders…

epicyclo

The Rohloff gear hubs have a 2:1 limit.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Pinion: http://www.pinion.eu/en/faq.html
    “In its present form, the P-1, including chainwheel, without cranks weights approx. 2.7 kg.”

That’s about 1kg heavier than the Rohly. But the CoG is in a better place.

epicyclo

Yes, not too bad. Any word about how much backlash there is in it?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The Rohloff gear hubs have a 2:1 limit.

how is this relevant ? They’re not designed for BB mounting anyway

20thebear
    Free Member

I’m just doing a project at work (engineering consultancy) reviewing different gearbox / drive systems for bikes. We have come to the conclusion that there is a reason that chains have been used for so long and will continue to be. They are cheap have good efficiency and allow for a lot of misalignment. Geared systems need comparativly high levels of accuracy in their machining and mounting. Plus you get issues with most of the load being taken by one tooth. This is why planetary gears are used, so the load is shared by more teeth. Yes you could make the gears from stronger material (and case harden it), but then it needs refinishing due to distortion. The cost of gears goes up and up, compared to bits of stamped out steel.

Systems like the Pinion may be very good for a few bespoke manufacturers, but until the big boys (i.e Giant) start making thousands of bikes that use systems like it, the humble BB and chain/deraileur system will continue to be used.

The Alfine system will start to be used more and more I think, and having it linked to a belt drive does make sense to me.

epicyclo

simonfbarnes – Member
    ‘The Rohloff gear hubs have a 2:1 limit.’
    how is this relevant ? They’re not designed for BB mounting anyway

The relevance is that a heavy gear system would have to be even heavier to be used in that situation. I believe someone has prototyped a Rohloff in that position.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That was how the first G-Boxx’s were designed, a frame-mounted Rohloff.

If a frame-mounted Alfine could be sorted out, especially one that could be retro-fitted, it could be a good thing. But would probably by ugly as sin.

Bear – get onto it then!

james-o
    Free Member

we’ve looked into using belts for some time and it’s only just getting commercial now. we did also work on a gearbox hardtail idea that used the mount points for the gearbox as a way to have a Fisher CR-7 style mix of ti and aluminuim in the frame. but all in all, i couldn’t imagine it being a better ride than an equivalently priced hardtail with xtr… it’s good to work on these things to drive the industry forward, but if nicolai can’t make a gearbox system that appeals to the masses i don’t know who can. mechs and hub gears are the options that are here to stay for a long time yet.

actually having written that, i think of the Honda RN-01. it was made somewhere we have good links with. a great bike.. and they considered all kinds of transmissions, and what did they do? move the rear mech and cassette into the centre of the frame and enclose it in a box. it may have been a side-proect or engineer training but it was a brilliant conclusion imo.

simple and the best way forward i think. and, relatively easy to make and bodge into a frame. add a belt to transmit power from the box to the hub maybe, but call me old-fashioned, as much as i like belts i still would go for a simple chain on my own bike. i can’t think of a good reason not to. they just work and are easy to work with.

snaps
    Free Member

I’m surprised that nobody has come up with a good CVT system using a belt yet.

coffeeking
    Free Member

CVTs are horribly difficult to get working correctly with any amount of torque, and torque is something cyclists have by the shed full.

cynic-al
    Free Member

if nicolai can’t make a gearbox system that appeals to the masses i don’t know who can.

Shimano?

james-o
    Free Member

er yes, maybe ) or probably, but although Shimano engineers are famous for giving nothing away, i get the impression that they don’t see it as viable or worthwhile yet. tbh SRAM are more likely to do it first. Nicolai have a willingness to do something different and make it work as well as they can yet it’s been a side-line idea for a long time now.
    what i’m getting at is that nicolai have all the engineering intelligence to make systems like this work, yet their best efforts so far don’t match an SLX drivetrain imo for general use. to make it more popular as a concept needs a lot less wight and more direct feeling, better efficiency etc.

maybe a shimano 2×10 ‘mech-in-a-box’ is the best way then?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ellsworth do a CVT. I forget what its called.
    James, how about an Alfine-base G-Boxx? Let me have a sample (or two) and I’ll sort it out for you 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

gearbox on the RN-01 is specific because it is not a classic gearbox like the Rohloff Speedhub for instance. It is commonly thought that inside the gearbox there is a classic derailleur, a cassette and a chainring. This is actually not the case. This explanation is a coverup for the actual design of gearbox, the design of which is for the most part, unknown. The freewheel is not placed on the rear wheel but in the bottom bracket so the chain is constantly moving when the back wheel is spinning.

Wikkipedia. Must be true.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That doesn’t look heavy at all. Oh no.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just found this too:

epicyclo

james-o – Member
    …i think of the Honda RN-01. it was made somewhere we have good links with. a great bike.. and they considered all kinds of transmissions, and what did they do? move the rear mech and cassette into the centre of the frame and enclose it in a box…

That makes a lot of sense. It’s hard to make a gear system lighter than a derailleur setup, and there’s nothing wrong with chains so long as they are well lubricated. Back in the days of oil bath chaincases it was not unheard of to get 20,000 miles or more out of a chain.

With a carbon fibre monocoque frame designed to contain such a setup, there should be no weight penalty. There would still be the extra drive train, but it could be compact and contained in an oil bath chaincase like the Katz.

Until that happens though, I’m going to continue aiming for belt drive solutions.

R.lepecha

gearbox

Back in the days of oil bath chaincases it was not unheard of to get 20,000 miles or more out of a chain.

but the oil will add to the weight of the product

avdave2

Having run a hub gear with a chain for over 4 years the only real advantage of the belt seems to be saving a bit of weight and a very small amount of maintenance. My last chain lasted 3 years and the current one has done over a year of off road commuting and general use and I’ve never done more than wipe it over with a rag and spray it with GT85. I still like the idea of one though.

epicyclo

R.lepecha – Member
    gearbox

That gearbox weighs 4.52kgs!

avdave2 – Member
    …My last chain lasted 3 years and the current one has done over a year of off road commuting and general use

Hubgear and SS don’t have the chain dangling down next to the road grit and also a straight chainline is much more tolerant of wear, so that’s a fair point. But it’s even better if you have a belt for the same job, lighter, quieter, and cleaner.

avdave2

I agree with you epicyclo I just think that most of the advantage comes from the hub gear itself and the belt only offers a relatively small improvement on top. However once these things are working properly in frames designed rather than adapted for the purpose and the teething problems are ironed out then I’d get the Rohloff converted. The best thing about the belt in my opinion though is that the reduction in weight may encourage more people to try hub gears. And the more people do that then the more time and money the manufacturers will spend in trying to improve them.

epicyclo

I’m not sure the belt offers any efficiency gains but it certainly doesn’t appear to have any negatives there in my experience.

I’m currently using a chain on my Alfine hub and a belt on a single speed and also a 3 speed S-A. I would use a belt for all purposes if it was feasible, but most of all I would prefer a sealed oilbath chaincase – unfortunately with current componentry that is not feasible.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

however once these things are working properly in frames designed rather than adapted for the purpose and the teething problems are ironed out

avdave – that’s what I’m doing. 🙂

epicyclo – I hadn’t seen the Katz before you mentioned it, but I believe Mike Burrows has made a few along those lines. Nice

james-o
    Free Member

alfine gearbox? if yu have the time and the tools.. ! be nice to move the weight off the rear axle but planetery gears always feel a bit ‘soft’ to me for some uses, great for some applications but i expect the reason the honda used a mech-in-a-box was the direct feel and efficiency. i think a home-made mech in a box would be more achievable.

but i’ll not be bothering ) if it’s too filthy for gears, it’s SS time.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’d like to think having the Alfine gubbins mounted on the frame might make it feel a bit more direct. Just think, you could run a fixie rear wheel if the freewheel is on the frame, keep all the moving parts out of the gunk. Its got potential…
    I’d love to get hold of a Pinion though. Combined with a Katz and a belt-drive…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

UPDATE!:

DSC_0405 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

will get the rest of the bike back together over the next few days and report back…

thepodge
    Free Member

looks industrial but good. I want one for my trance but they (belt drives) don’t take well to tensioners

ir_bandito
    Free Member

It’ll not work on a Trance – you can’t change the belt length.
    This is on a Kona A which has a concentric pivot around the BB.

thepodge
    Free Member

I know, hence the comment about the tensioner.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘Belt-Drive Full sus update’ is closed to new replies.