Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bell super dh or giro switchblade?
  • skybluestu
    Free Member

As entering 1st enduro race this year thought I’d invest in a helmet with removable chin guard.

Has anyone tried the bell super dh or the giro? The giro looks a bit strange with ears covered for general riding so was leaning towards to bell but keen to get some user feedback from the forum!

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bell doesn’t fin my head but it felt closer to my face

Giro, covers your ears but nice fit and feels solid, chin bar is a bit of a knack, the look is quite special but does the job really well

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Have you considered a Fox Proframe? No removeable chin but they are super vented and light with MIPS and can be had for £125 at the moment.

I have a LEATT DBX 3.0 and would recommend that, really comfortable and the chin guard is easily removed.

When the chinguard is removed it does not look odd at all like the Giro does (in my opinion)

Also the magnetic buckle system is the best buckle system I have ever used especially while wearing gloves.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I have used both and the Super DH is my go to for enduros at the moment.

The Giro is warmer, a bit heavier but probably easier to fit/remove the shinguard with the helmet on.

Bell is lighter, cooler, more use for me as a ‘regular’ helmet without the chin bar and as I say it’s my ‘go to’ but I do find it is harder to attache and remove the chin bar on it with the helmet on.

shipton47
    Free Member

I have the giro which I got before the bell came out, the wife has the bell if was buying again would get the bell without a thought if it fitted. The giro is warm with and without the chin guard.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Bought the super DH when on offer a CRC a couple of months ago, including a BC voucher I got almost 40% off.

Historically the super (or any bell) has never fitted me but their new sizing is way better.

It’s a brilliant bit of kit and defiantly one of my fav helmets.

The fit is spot on, it’s really comfy, the air flow and ventilation is outstanding for the type of helmet (even with the chin bar on), the magnetic clip on the chin strap (why doesn’t every helmet come with this) and the moisture system really does pull all that sweat to the front of the helmet where it drips in front of your eyes rather than in them.

chipster

I got a Switchblade last year, because that’s the one that fits my head.

orangespyderman

I got a Switchblade last year, because that’s the one that fits my head.

So did I for the same reason.  It’s good, but mostly it fits properly.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the bell super dh or the giro? The giro looks a bit strange with ears covered for general riding so was leaning towards to bell but keen to get some user feedback from the forum!

A mate raced the French EWS this year and saw at least one nasty accident involving a detachable chinguard helmet that wasn’t pretty. I seem to recall it was a Bell, but the chin guard did not work as it should.

That aside I would try on as many as you can and go with the one that fits you. If you decide to race a lot more, or on anything fairly ‘serious’, it’s probably worth investing in a proper full face.

skybluestu
    Free Member

I have a full face for dh stuff and bike parks but can’t see myself lugging it round an Enduro track for 30 miles hence the requirement for detachable.

I think I’m more or less sold in the bell but need to check its fit.

All my helmets are giro currently and fit great

Rubber_Buccaneer

Maybe try a Proframe just in case you like it. Not detachable but with the helmet on you barely know the front is there. I’d worry the switchblade would be a little warm if it has to be worn on transitions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bell super dh or giro switchblade?’ is closed to new replies.