Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Behold, my Frankenbike lives! Hammerschmidt and Alfine together at last :-)
  • psychle
    Free Member

Just finished building up (finally) what I shall now call 'the beast'. Apologies for the night shot, I'm just chuffed to have it finished, shall take some better pics in the daylight over the weekend.

Haven't taken it for a proper ride yet, just a few laps around the block. First impressions, it's heavy (no idea how much, but at least as weighty as my Enduro SL, probably a little more), the Schwalbe Big Apple tyres won't be helping with the weight of course, they're 900g each! Need to get some decent rubber for it, any suggestions?

Currently have it set up with the 24T up front (so 24T / 38T) and an 18T on the Alfine. Not sure how to figure out what that gives me (I've tried to make sense of MaverickBoy's chart, but I just don't get it 😳 Someone feel free to explain it to me!)

Also, what do ya'll think of the headangle, do you reckon the 150mm fork is too much for the frame? It's only a 15" frame, so realistically it's a little small for me, but it actually feels quite good to ride (from first impressions)…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bodge-tastic!

What forks are on your Enduro now, then?

Also, keep me up to date with the H'Scmidht. Am pondering one for my Enduro, would be interested to know how it works.

Rex
    Free Member

looks like a shitload of fun to me 😀
    though some RS domains would set if off nicely…

psychle
    Free Member

It's a spare E150 I bought a while back for a decent price, just had it serviced by Spesh and upgraded all the internals, it's good as new now 🙂

Am pondering one for my Enduro

Don't you have a newer Enduro? It won't have the necessary ISCG tabs will it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mine has the tabs….Which is nice.

My E150 has been pimped by the Spesh SpannerMonkeys as well. It's as schmoooooooove as an early Fun Lovin' Criminals album! 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gearing – from how I understand it and without going into the spreadsheet again but with an 18 on the alfine you get the equivalent of 11/34 at the back.

So you have ended up with the equivalent of a 2×9 11/34 cassette and whatever your chainrings are – 24 / 38.

So from a standard 27 speed MTB set up you are maybe missing the very top and the very bottom gear.

24 / 18 is getting a bit low for the alfine – hopefully it will be OK but it must be close tot eh bottom gear limit

MrNutt
    Free Member

nice! is that a Strange Singlespeed Subzero??

ojom
    Free Member

my word. what exactly do we call it?

clubber
    Free Member

Fugly 😉

toons
    Free Member

WoW, post some more photos in the day light.

akira

Hammerschmidt is great, you do get a little bit of drag in overdrive but the immediate gear shift is amazing, not for lightweight bikes but for 6" bikes and downhill bikes it's the future.
    Just wondering whether you can get red X0 shifters for it now though.

psychle
    Free Member

is that a Strange Singlespeed Subzero

I think it is a prototype Miii (though a 15" version). It was sold to me as a prototype Sub Zero, but I don't think that was correct.

my word. what exactly do we call it?

It's a niche all of it's own 8) I'm betting there has never, in the whole wide world, been anything like it 😆

Clubber, you don't mean that, do you? I reckon it looks pretty good 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Very nice.

Will a Hammerschmidt fit onto a Schlumph?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I likes that, I loikes it a lot!
    Schwalbe Super Motos are the same tyre but lighter and faster if you can find em

igm

I think you need to visit either On-One or Merlin for the nice cheap 140mm Revs and F32RLs they have respectively.

Other than that – I like it. Pity about the background – I mean London, what's any self respecting mountain bike doing in London… 🙄

Airwolf
    Free Member

Hey where is that by the way?

And no i'm not a bike thief! I 'm just curious as i live in London too & it looks familiar.

tails
    Free Member

i love it. looks like early noughties hardcore hardtail

psychle
    Free Member

Hey where is that by the way?

It's North London way. Glad you chaps like it, I do to 8)

Now to get some decent tyres and take it for a shake-down ride, hopefully this weekend.

mboy
    Free Member

Nice work mate, although junk those horrid spesh forks and fit something like a nice Pike would you! (says the man who owns 3 sets of Maverick forks! 😉 )

Regarding my calculator, I think I should have sent you v8 now right? All you need to do is input your gear sizes and your wheel and tyre sizes into the calculator. Then your crank length, and your optimum cadence if you so desire too. In the yellow boxes (everything else is locked now anyway).

What you will then get is the equivalent gears… With an 18T on the back, as TJ says, you've got as close to dammit an 11-34T range on the back. So you've effectively got a 24/38 ring setup, with 11-34 on the back. In other words, you've got most of a normal 27speed setup, you're just missing a couple of gears off the top (44/11 and 44/12) really, otherwise you've got the lot! Not bad really…

BE CAREFUL running the Hammerschmidt in 1:1 too much of the time though. Alfine hubs were designed around a primary:secondary gear ratio of circa 1.6:1 or more… With your 24:18 yours is only 1.33:1, which is a bit low. I have heard of a couple of hubs being run with low ratios having stripped their clutches, but in fairness they were big lads cranking hard apparently…

How does it all feel when you're running the Hammerschmidt in Overdrive though? Do you notice the extra drag much with 2 gearboxes? Oh, and being cheeky, where are you based mate? Would love to get a go on it to see what the drivetrain is like all together!

Bregante

@ Maverick boy. Have you ridden the E150's? Mine have been fettled like the OPs and I wouldn't swap them for any other 150mm fork on the market 8)

psychle
    Free Member

Bregante speaks the truth IMO… I really do like my E150, though to be fair I haven't ridden much else to compare it too 🙂 It's stiff, light and responsive, can't ask for much more can you?

Bregante

I tried an 09 Enduro that a mate demo'ed at C-y-b and I have to say (and my mate AND the staff at the shop agreed) that my E150 felt way more plush and a million times stiffer than the Fox 32 fitted to the 09 model, which just felt too flexy and didn't track anywhere near as well. I've also tried some revelations on a SC Heckler and again, nowhere near as plush IMO but better than the Fox.

Bregante

plus, does anybody else know of any other fork with a 5 year warranty?

and mine has been 100% reliable so far.

I've said it now haven't I 😐

psychle
    Free Member

million times stiffer than the Fox 32

Well it'd want to be stiffer than that! I'd be more inclined to compare it to a Fox 36 of some sort, more of an even match I'd think?

The 5 year warranty is good, but it does have a couple of stiff caveats (namely that it has to be serviced by Specialized every 150hrs, plus you have to keep and record a regular maintenance schedule in between… not too onerous, but something to be aware of 🙂 )

Bregante

I chose both of those as examples as they are of equal travel.I would have to say, the Fox 36 float does as good but no travel adjust and I haven't tried a 36 talas

sturmey
    Free Member

Maverickboy The alfine hub is designed around the ratio 1.618:1. Yet another example of the mysterious magic ratio. Tv's A4 paper to name a couple.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Behold, my Frankenbike lives! Hammerschmidt and Alfine together at last :-)’ is closed to new replies.