Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Beginner's socket set help
  • headfirst
    Free Member

Recommendations please.

I’m wanting to start doing some very basic mechanic-ing on my lawnmower and my collection of spanners are no good for the job*.

Should I get a set that includes imperial as well as metric? Are Halfords sets decent? I don’t want to spend over £50, and I want to go and buy them and get my hands on them today so online shops are out.

*I’ve managed to round off one of the bolts already using a slightly too big No.10 spanner. My adjustable spanner won’t fit in the space to get to the bolt. aargh.

Ta.

headfirst
    Free Member

Oh and 1/2″ drive vs 1/4″?? Can get more torque with the 1/2″?

This looks good…what do you lot think?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_164167_langId_-1_categoryId_255215#tab3

creamegg
    Free Member

Halfords Pro kit stuff is good and is almost constantly avaialbe 50% off

headfirst
    Free Member

Good shout on pro stuff discount!

I’m off to purchase this after I’ve finished my cup of tea.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_177537_langId_-1_categoryId_255215#tab1

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Teng tools stuff is also very good.

thehustler
    Free Member

This was on offer in Lidl 13th may, might be worth seeing if your local branch has one, was £69.99 a bit over your budget but its alot of tools for the money had one a couple of years and nothing has broken yet

somafunk

1/4″ will be too small for effective use,

One of the following sets will stand you in good stead for years of use (mechanic to trade)

Halfords Advanced 64 piece Socket set as it has 1/4″ drive for fiddly lawnmower stuff and larger 3/8th drive with additional deep sockets for those seized bolts and a very handy ratcheting driver set included.

Good price with a lifetime guarantee

headfirst
    Free Member

Thank god for mobile internet!

I got to Halfords and the set I had my eye on looked distinctly feeble and I was a bit bewildered by the wide range to choose from. I thought the 64 piece one looked good so checked this thread with my phone and was glad to see somafunk’s endorsement!

So I bought it. 😀

Thanks for your help guys.

somafunk

Good stuff headfirst, now get into that garden shed and start to repair and take stuff apart, work methodically and lay the parts out on a clean surface (not in the middle of the lawn) as you remove them, use the camera on your phone to take the odd pic beforehand so you have a reference point to refer to.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’d have gone for this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862463_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

but if you have already bought a socket set, then get a set of Halfords Pro ratchet spanners as well – they make spannering things much easier.

cranberry
    Free Member

oops, double post.

headfirst
    Free Member

Garden shed pffft!! That’s too full of bike stuff. I’ve got the mower on a piece of old oilcloth on the kitchen floor, laptop on the breakfast bar, and my other chrome tab on MowerMan’s youtube channel! Top tip on taking ‘before’ pic. Already used the new set, I can feel my manliness increasing by the minute…(that’s not a euphemism)

somafunk

I’m glad worldclassaccident is not helping you as this thread would soon turn into a remake of the texas chainsaw lawnmower massacre, have a can of stella at hand and wear an old faded wifebeater vest that you can wipe your oily hands on, before you know it you’ll be adjusting the float chamber and rejetting the carburettor whilst taking a dremel to the venturi for more top-end power 😀

Cougar

Pro tip:

Keep the receipt. Stick it in the screwdriver box or something. Halfords are funny buggers IME when it comes to returning stuff, and I know of a couple of people (me included) who’ve had ratchets fail.

PePPeR

I’m glad you didn’t go just 1/4 drive, far too small, I do 99% of my spannering with Halfords Pro Spanners and their 3/8 Drive set, I bought a set of their lovely Advanced stuff recently but still tend to keep using my older kit, which I’ve owned since 1993!

trail_rat
    Free Member

**** lawnmowers.

i spent 15 minutes of my lunch trying to explain to the mrs how to start the lawnmower – shes forgotten.

it was like trying to teach your nan to work the VCR – knowing she doesnt have a VCR but she has a cake*

*name the comedian

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Beginner's socket set help’ is closed to new replies.