Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bees
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just went into the garden and the compost bin is COVERED in bees. Have a dog, a 3y/o and an 8 week old child so doors and windows shut and they’re not going in the garden. Short of calling in a beekeeper type person to sort it, is there anything I can do now to get rid of them? I’m assuming chucking the hose and sprinkler near by and washing them away isn’t the greatest idea?

cloudnine
    Free Member

I can’t see the dog or children being much help. Phone a local bee keeper or get your flame thrower out

neilwheel
    Free Member

They are ‘swarming’ as in, getting together to move to a new site. In a few hours there should be no sign of them.

If they have decided to stay then you need a beekeeper.

crankboy
    Free Member

Bees as long as left alone are fine. Be sure they are not wasps and don’t send your dog or child out to the compost bin other than that carry on as normal and ignore them . if they are doing something unusual on mass then i assume they are about to swarm and it will be all over soon.
    Last years hive next to my garden did have regular busy times when the bees were first going to or coming from work.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah deffo bees. Not sure I’d get someone from the UK beekeeper’s association to come to Australia. I might be wrong, but not willing to pay the flight 😉

Hopefully they will bugger off, and not fly toward the house in search of a new hive! I’ve never been stung so keeping my distance (but remember watching Jackass guys getting stung – was funny to watch I just dont fancy being on the receiving end!)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Yeah deffo bees. Not sure I’d get someone from the UK beekeeper’s association to come to Australia.

In that case.. go dig up a funnel web spider and throw it at the bees

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well we’ve got Redbacks, Orbs and Huntsmen all over the place but the bees dont seem too fussed. Interestingly, I dont mind spiders but bees give me the heebygee(bees). I knew I shouldnt have had honey on my toast this morning.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just started to rain… Hopefully they’ll scarper now.

footflaps

Bees are lovely creatures, just leave them be (no pun intended)…

If you’re lucky they’ll nest somewhere in your garden.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/d8NgNY]Bees nest I had to move[/url] by brf, on Flickr

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah I know they’re lovely and harmless. However, my 3 year old is having a stick/sword phase and he’d poke them. I also have a young dog who loves to chase butterflies and all other insects, so yes, lovely bees. But not so lovely family. I just cannot risk my son being stung, or my dog needing to go to the vets. If either of them did go for the swarm as it is now, they’d get stung to death.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

definitely kick the bin

Selled
    Free Member

Your lawn has seen better days!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The back 3rd of the garden is sand, native bushes and chooks.

You can just see the compost bin at the back of this pic

Selled
    Free Member

Nice.

Are they still there, is there a hive nearby?

I understand that when they swarm they find a temporary stop not far from the original hive from where they send out Scouts to find a new hive. They are pretty amazing…… And they polenate my chilli’s!

njee20
    Free Member

but remember watching Jackass guys getting stung – was funny to watch I just dont fancy being on the receiving end!)

Beehive tetherball! Happy times!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VJYXhprh-Y[/video]

the-muffin-man

nice flamingos

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Benefit of a warmer climate. They’re surprisingly tame.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Selled – Member
    Nice.

Are they still there, is there a hive nearby?

I understand that when they swarm they find a temporary stop not far from the original hive from where they send out Scouts to find a new hive. They are pretty amazing…… And they polenate my chilli’s!

Yeah they’re still there. It’s dark and much cooler. They’re more on the bottom of the compost bin and on the floor now. Very docile, I guess it’s due to the cooler temp. I’ve just cut back my chili trees but there is a big bottle-brush tree that’s dripping with nectar so perhaps that’s what they were attracted to. There’s no hive nearby they just seem to have seen a gap in the lid of the bin and made it their home. Will see what the craic is in the morning and whether I need to professionally move the gypsy-bees on to another site.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just found the queen near the house, nearly dead. There’s also bees on the floor EVERYWHERE dying out. wtf? The ground is buzzing. They can still sting when they’re dead, non? And I vaguely remember from rural science that if you’re stung there’s some scent that attract other bees to you? Argh?????!!!!! Does that still apply if you’re stung by a dead bee? Do worker bees actually have stingers?

Kahurangi

If you’re stung by a dead bee then prepare for your descent in to a Zombie Bee, slave to the undead queen.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Thanks honey x

bearnecessities

Chessington’s gone downhill.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

lol yeah, my son’s cubby house is probably big enough to live in

Stevet1
    Free Member

my 3 year old is having a stick/sword phase
    Love how you think its a phase.

Saccades
    Free Member

I bet you play on the diddy car too!

theotherjonv

I’d say there’s about 6 dozen there. If you play your cards right you could soon have a some lovely pair of 36 bees to play with.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m waiting for 650bee…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bees’ is closed to new replies.