Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Been dropping litter recently?
  • scotroutes

Someone at the Scottish Avalanche Information Service wants a word with you.

http://meagaidhblog.sais.gov.uk/2021/02/lost-found/

uggski

I had to laugh at this in the comments

Well thank you very much. That’s my last chance of finding my way back totally buggered. Do you have any idea how hard it was to peel those damned tangerines while being dragged up that path by my woodcutter father? No, of course you don’t. You are only interested in making an example of me and worrying about snow. I tell you, if I ever find my way off this bloody hill (no thanks to you) I’ll be writing to ms MSP about this.

matt_outandabout

It’s bloody ridiculous. And I think we’ve more ahead as people are disconnected from nature and wild places.

Good effort mr_sais

Greybeard
    Free Member

Appealing for the appalling.

paino

Clearly just marking out the pith of least resistance.

PrinceJohn

So is are Hansel & Gretel still out there no lost cold & hungery cos someone removed their trail?

grum
    Free Member

I’ve had arguments with friends who maintain that it’s ok to drop things like orange peel cos it’s ‘natural’. I used to think the same TBH but I’ve updated my thinking.

NewRetroTom

Pretty sure it would count as ‘natural’ if you were strolling through an orange grove. In the northern mountains not so much.

sparksmcguff

When people say “it’s natural” are they really saying “it’s biodegradable”? Lots of people are too ignorant of nature.

duckman

Thing is, it isn’t a casual “picnic with the family type of person” up there at this time of year.I thought there had been a change of attitude after the stories about rubbish on Ben Nevis.

Trimix
    Free Member

How is the peal a problem ? Will it not just degrade in a short time and end up putting nutrients, nitrates or something back in the soil ?

I bung apple cores in the hedge if I’m on a ride – is that the wrong thing to do ?

tjagain

Up on the high mountains it will take years to degrade and also changes the soil type over time if many folk do it

As for apple cares in the hedges – not so bad as some apple trees might grow – all along highland line are apple trees growing but again will take a while to degrade

But the mantra must be. take nothing but photos leave nothing but footprints ( or tyre tracks)

Trimix
    Free Member

Oh, so its an issue at altitude then. I see.

So bunging your peal, apple cores etc in a hedge should not be a problem.

tjagain

Nope – still an issue. You have to think about what would be the outcome if everyone did it. It will still take time to degrade but yes the issue are less acute lower down but do not go away.

Its littering pure and simple

jam-bo

and also changes the soil type over time if many folk do it

now you are just taking the pith.

grum
    Free Member

There’s also places like Cairngorm that have very particular and sensitive ecosystems and it doesn’t take much to throw them off kilter apparently.

When people say “it’s natural” are they really saying “it’s biodegradable”?

I think that’s the thought process yeah.

Mister-P
    Free Member

So bunging your peal

I think it’s time we rang the bell on all forms of littering.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I would never discard citrus peel anywhere, it’s very slow to rot. Apple cores, I think, are quite quick, at low altitude, and are about the only thing I’ve ever chucked; I don’t do it now.

white101

We talk about education and enforcement a lot with regard to littering, supplying bins in appropriate places and encouraging those to take rubbish away with them, unfortunately it seems we increasingly live in an age where ‘you can’t tell me what to do mate’ and ‘freedom loving Brits’ can with impunity and scant regard for the natural world literally do what they want.

We have the same issues at much lower levels (of height and humanity)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK_M1GBADYC/

slowoldman

Why drop any leftovers? If you’ve carried the entire item prior to eating surely you can spare the energy required to carry the bits you didn’t eat?

funkmasterp

Was going to post the same as slowoldman. Unfortunately there are lots of people who don’t realise the damage that can be caused and more that simply don’t care.

Joe

Banana skins take about 2 years to biodegrade and more if they get frozen for a period. I used to chuck mine off of climbing routes into the surrounding hills, thinking they would be gone in a few weeks. Rotten behaviour in hindsight.

ads678

If you take it there full, be it fruit, bottled water, crisp packets, beer cans… theres always less to take home anyway.

Lazy feckers! Makes my shit itch.

Edit: same for those that leave bags of rubbish next to bins when they are full. Just the them home in your car and put them in your bin at home. Maybe even sort the recyclables out…..

breninbeener

@Mister-P Chapeau!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Makes my shit itch.

You should probably see chemist and get something for that. Maybe work on your hand washing regimen as well. Just saying…

slowoldman

Makes my shit itch.

Just remember to bury it and burn the toilet paper.

scotroutes

Ach, while we’re on the general subject, can I also express my anger at the folk who go camping and think its OK to dump their coffee grounds around the place? Take them home with you or find a bin!

tjagain

Shine a light – thats ones me ( when wild camping) No bins up in the hills. Its the only thing I do not carry out apart from shit

joshvegas
    Free Member

Chew them for the extra hit.

jam-bo

Its the only thing I do not carry out apart from shit

why not. pretty sure enough shit will change the soil type..

Aidy
    Free Member

Ach, while we’re on the general subject, can I also express my anger at the folk who go camping and think its OK to dump their coffee grounds around the place? Take them home with you or find a bin!

Not sure if serious or not, but… really?

It’s not unheard of for me to dump coffee grounds in my garden.

scotroutes

As a wise man once said

You have to think about what would be the outcome if everyone did it.

tjagain

why not. pretty sure enough shit will change the soil type..

correct it will if enough concentrated in an area – and an outbreak of e coli traced to people shitting near a bothy and its water supply. One of the reasons i don’t use bothies or go to honeypot wild camp sites. I believe some folk do carry out shit nowadays but thats a step too far for me right now.

tjagain

Fudge – does that mean I have to carry my coffee grounds out?

IdleJon

I believe some folk do carry out shit nowadays but thats a step too far for me right now.

It will take a major step change to get people to dispose of dog mess properly, in places they walk every day, never mind to carry out their own poo from remote places.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Fudge – does that mean I have to carry my coffee grounds out?

I don’t see how orange peels are bad but coffee grounds and shits are OK?

Aidy
    Free Member

Generally better soil quality in campsites? Which for the most part aren’t in conservation areas?

tjagain

5plus8 its about speed of degradation and of course the shit is buried but as you can see i am thinking about changing my actions

Aidy – again its a good test – if one person does it could everyone? If everyone does it then its piles of coffee grounds everywhere

Edit – I must confess I have never found coffee grounds from anyone else out in the countryside. I have seen piles of shit and litter – one memorable occasion camping up at the top of the Torridon passes we found a plastic bag of obvious camping rubbish under a rock – now that was not neds as we were miles from anywhere. Needless to say it was carried out by us

scotroutes

Generally better soil quality in campsites? Which for the most part aren’t in conservation areas?

TBH, campsites generally have bins. Wild camp spots are often in “conservation” areas.

Aidy
    Free Member

TBH, campsites generally have bins.

I go out of my way to not put green waste in landfill. I’ve not seen that many campsites with green waste bins (which is weird, now I think about it).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Been dropping litter recently?’ is closed to new replies.