Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bee hive in the garden, what do I do?
  • augustuswindsock

I’m tempted to leave it but it’s under some paving slabs the kids stand on to climb onto the trampoline, I’m worried the kids inadverdently annoy them (they annoy me, so I don’t see why the bees should get away with it!!) and set off a swarm?

MartynS

I don’t think there is much you can do.. the council and pest control company’s won’t exterminate them..

Try the local bee keepers association or club, they might be able to help

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

augustuswindsock

tbh I don’t really want them exterminated, I’m aware they’re getting quite rare these days, local bee keepers is a good idea though.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Try peeing on it. Let us know what happens.

pictonroad

Google your local apiary swarm collector, honey bee swarms are in great demand, they might help you if they’re not honey bees anyway.

augustuswindsock

Cheers Pictonroad, just tried that, suspect they’re bumblebees and no one will do anything with them, looks like we’re stuck with them!

Mikeypies
    Free Member

First you need to do a bit of research

Is it a proper hive or a wild bee nest ( I guess its a wild nest)

What sort of bees are they

If you watch the bees are they entering one entrance or several ( helps identify what bees)?, go up to the entrance 2-3 foot away but do not cast a shadow over the entrance or stand in the way of the main flight path. Best to do so when you havent been drinking are not sweaty or been using deodorants as bees dont like it. Have a look at the bees and see if you can identify what they are

this site might help

http://www.wgbka.org.uk/Bee_Identification.shtml

If they are honey bees google your local beekeepers and they should be able to help.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Hmm, under a slab sounds more like mason bees – small, harmless, just waking up and will bugger off after they’ve had a couple of meals. You do get wasps looking for places to build nests at this time of year, but that’d be just a one or two wasps following the same route over and again.

Konastoner
    Free Member

contact your local council, they’ll gret in touch with a local bee keeper / bee keeping society.

CaptainSlow

We had a swarm land in the garden a few weeks ago. Contacted a very helpful local bee keeper who removed the swarm and re homed it. Ours was an estimated 50k – the light levels really dropped before they all landed – it was quite a site Once they’d landed they were ok but I wouldn’t risk it with kids. They could move on of their own volition but would suggest as you’ve got kids to contact your local council or lookup a local bee keeper.

martinhutch

Have some fun with it:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU&feature=related[/video]

AndyP
    Free Member

make toast.

khani
    Free Member

Bees are good, make another step for the kids and leave em bee,.. 😀

tomhoward

Tell ’em to buzz off?

If they still wont leave, repeatedly poke the nest with a stick.

SamCooke, you owe me a new keyboard. This one is now covered in tea 😆

rocketman
    Free Member

Would leave them to get on with it I like bees

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bee hive in the garden, what do I do?’ is closed to new replies.