Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Because the UK makes nothing from the creative industries…
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

She seems fun.

badllama
    Free Member

They just live on a **** other planet IMO

The biggest entertainment markets in the world

I think creative and skills in art would come in handy for several of the biggest entertainment markets on the planet:
    Video Games
    Film
    TV
    🙄

ninfan
    Free Member

November 11 2014?

I presume your outrage bus broke down somewhere on the way, and none on the creatives on board could figure out how to fix it?

Or does raking over old anti government stories looking for something to get upset over prove her point?

binners

Christ! I wish I’d have had someone as well-informed as Nicky to tell me what a terrible error I was making, and it would have stopped me wasting my life completely on all this creative nonsense.

And how stupid do all those huge international companies who choose the UK to produce their creative work feel now? The massive idiots!!! 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Moral of story – keep governments out of education

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I like her. The last thing i need is another batch of young, talented graduates with their can do attitude, freshly honed skills and asymmetric haircuts reinvigorating the marketplace. It would be great if we could keep this as government policy for maybe the next twenty years. Not fussed what happens after that.

cbike
    Free Member

Show me a scientist or engineer or banker that hasn’t limited career choices Anyway – A wee bit of theatre can bring a whole school together at all academic levels. It is as important for the teachers as well as the weans.

Luckily no one is listening to her, Currently Touring Arthur Miller plays…taught in schools, getting schools audiences.

rkk01
    Free Member

Teenage rkk01 jnr is currently doing well with his science GCSEs…

“Logic” (tradition? Inability to think outside the box?) suggests that he persevere with the A level to degree science route that I have followed.

But I interview loads of new science graduates… Govt policy of the last 10 years means we are educating more than we can employ – or at least, more than we can offer the sort of challenging and financially rewarding careers that they are led to believe in 🙁

So rkk01 jnr is also quite talented in the performing arts. No idea if he is good enough to make a career out of it, but my view of employment in the science and engineering sector makes me think he could give it a go and always come back to his academic subjects at a later date

Northwind

The point on maths is actually completely mind, though- nothing closes down or complicates future choices quite like not continuing maths at school.

She doesn’t make the argument well but it is fundamentally about promoting stem subjects and you’ll not find many people that disagree with that. It doesn’t have to be at the expense of arts and humanities though. Well, no more than any course choice is.

Telling them “arts will reduce your future prospects” is a terrible idea. Talking about future earnings is frankly stupid. A gifted arts student that decides to refocus on stem for such cynical reasons is less likely to be a high achiever in that field regardless, if they succeed at all. The broad numbers make it look sensible but you can’t apply that to the individual. And besides, encouraging 16 year olds to make all their decisions based on money is pretty rank.

Campaigns like this aren’t generally considered that useful mind, what’s really needed is to keep kids engaged with maths at younger ages and help them see what it’s for. Maths is a turn-off subject when others aren’t and by the time it starts to look useful again a lot of kids have totally lost interest.

You know what would be a good idea? Widening the exam choices kids make so the entire system isn’t aiming towards 3 blimmin a levels for university entry (even for kids that aren’t going to uni), you can’t complain that kids are closing doors when the system’s designed to make it unavoidable. Oh and destigmatising college for uni-level kids too and improving english college articulation, stop mainlining kids into school -> university because there’s other equally good routes, especially encourage smart motivated kids to grab hold of choices. Want to be an engineer but can’t get into an engineering course today? Go and do a HND. (up here you’ll graduate in the same year and statistically you’ll graduate with a higher mark) The system right now is like giving directions, “If I wanted to go to Derry I wouldn’t start from here”.

TBF- I don’t think she’s qualified to give course and careers advice to one kid let alone all of ’em, her job’s to make the entire deal work better

ninfan
    Free Member

The actual speech (again, from last year) carries more context

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/nicky-morgan-speaks-at-launch-of-your-life-campaign

IanMunro
    Free Member

She’s right though isn’t she.
    When was the last time she saw someone interviewed saying the country desperately needed more people with degrees in fine art?

DrJ

You know what would be a good idea? Widening the exam choices kids make so the entire system isn’t aiming towards 3 blimmin a levels for university entry

This. Plus a million.

Then you might also get people in technical jobs who have some appreciation of the arts and are less prone to making dumb comments about ‘what’s art for?”

Junkyard
    Free Member

Or does raking over old anti government stories looking for something to get upset over prove her point?

I thought you would commend them for this sort of thing 😉

aP
    Free Member

Hmm… I took Maths, Physics, and Chemistry at A-level, now have a degree and a post-grad in Architecture and practice as an Architect. Without reading the actual speech, the soundbite is partially correct in that certain choices are limiting.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m a big fan on apprenticeships and vocational courses, but art degrees and qualifications are a waste of time for the purposes of getting a job or career. If people have genuine interests and want to pursue further study in art then fair enough, but the reality is that you are far less likely to get a lucrative career as a result of that degree as an artist. And only a small percentage of artists are able to make a career out of art, and the education and skills acquired are less transferrable to other industries, and most are left to indulge it in their spare time and retirement while they chase around for a ‘proper’ job. My cousin is a talented artist with an A-level in the subject, but that was not enough for her to make a career in art and so she’s in sales.

This is part of the jobs for young people problem we have at the moment. There are plenty of jobs and careers for young people out there, but they are not educated or prepared for them because they’ve mostly got degrees or qualifications in subjects that are not relevant or transferrable.

aP
    Free Member

art degrees and qualifications are a waste of time for the purposes of getting a job or career

I have an Arts degree, and I have a good job and career, so what you’ve written up there is wrong, and is the same for the thousands of architects employed in the UK, a fair proportion of whom are bringing inward investment from other countries – actually there’s a UK shortage of them now, which is why I’ve employed 4 new ones this year, only one of which is British.
    I think you have to look at what the degree is in and also understand what is the point of reading for a degree – is it “just to get a job” or is it to develop both intellectually and personally? Maybe with he expectation that they won’t be able to work in that field but have transferable skills into other areas – it’s the same with science and engineering degrees, many of them go into other careers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m a big fan on apprenticeships and vocational courses

WHY?

DO we have a shortage in the industries they do vocational courses in?

NO

Go to any college and see how many people are doing hairdressing, construction, child care, motor vehicle, animal studies etc
    There are no skills shortages in these areas and many will never ever do a days work in the vocational areas

Training where there is a job is an excellent idea but many courses are little more than cash cows for the education sector.

Foresenic science – look how that has increased as we have closed one of the three labs in the country – bless you CSI and the folly of youth,

they’ve mostly got degrees or qualifications in subjects that are not relevant or transferrable.

Applies to non arts courses as well
    What can a marin biolgists do in the real world?

IME anyone degree educated has a number of transferable skills irrespective of discipline and some specfic skill related to the discipline

FWIW i have never needed to write up an experiment or use algebra nor trigonometry in the world of work but I have needed to make a poster and a flyer.

rone

Left school with one Art A-level.

20 Years later still running my film production company and making a living; have some of the best contacts in the industry and own flagship film equipment.

But yet I’m getting a nice Vat compliancy check just to make sure we’re are not snaffling them.

Cu**s .

konabunny
    Free Member

My cousin is a talented artist with an A-level in the subject, but that was not enough for her to make a career in art and so she’s in sales.

An a level isn’t a degree. No-one ever said it would be enough to sustain a career in art. There’s no expectation that everyone who does art at secondary school is going to be in the art industry, just like no-one expects all kids who do a level history to go on and be historians.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Go to any college and see how many people are doing hairdressing, construction, child care, motor vehicle, animal studies etc
    There are no skills shortages in these areas and many will never ever do a days work in the vocational areas

Actually, there is a very serious skills shortage in construction.
    Even if the green belt is opened up for housing and the government realises that building houses is a better way to stimulate the economy than restricting supply, we don’t have the skilled labour necessary to build much more than we do at the moment…

Trekster

aP – Member
    art degrees and qualifications are a waste of time for the purposes of getting a job or career

I have an Arts degree, and I have a good job and career, so what you’ve written up there is wrong
    +1. MissT has an MA in textile design and aPGCE in Education. Currently a primary school teacher, school arts coordinator, running an after school art club, achieved an excellent Ofsted report(her first inspection)and featured in local paper at the weekend 😆 As an early years teacher her qualifications and use of art to teach kids especially with learning difficulties is what the schools was looking for given the curriculum directives at the time(5yrs ago)
    Has no desire to progress any further up the ” career path ” due to the need as she sees it to talk and present ” bullshit ”

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The creative industries is more than fine art. it includes a huge spectrum of jobs through architecture, music, fashion, film, industrial design, advertising, video games etc. Going to art school could be a stepping stone into loads of different careers it’s not just about trying to make it as a struggling painter.

Northwind

Junkyard – lazarus

What can a marin biolgists do in the real world?

Research the breeding patterns of wolf ridges?

Seriously though, marine biology is a valuable field, was this a joke?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Love humanities grads….historians have a brilliant way of thinking. And they don’t get A*s just by learning stuff

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The creative industries is more than fine art.

No-one said it wasn’t.

The Tory woman was just making the point that studying at least one Maths or science A level helped keep one’s options open.
    It amazes me that amongst the arty farty professions an admission of innumeracy is often seen as a badge of honour.

colournoise

suburbanreuben – Member
    It amazes me that amongst the arty farty professions an admission of innumeracy is seen as a badge of honour.

Evidence?

And lovely use of “arty farty” too.

richmars

Evidence?

not really evidence,but I’ve often heard radio and TV presenters making a joke about being rubbish at maths, or not understanding physics. If they said “I’ve never seen a play by Shakespeare” they’d be laughed out of the studio.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It amazes me that amongst the arty farty professions an admission of innumeracy is seen as a badge of honour.

Not something that i’ve ever come across, but then I’ve only been paid to be arty farty for 25 years. Guess I’m just not mixing with the right crowd.

IanMunro
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12525317
    No mention of arty fart though, so wouldn’t pass the pedent test.

Junkyard
    Free Member

, marine biology is a valuable field, was this a joke?

I was saying even some science degree courses wont really lead to work in that area [ to counter the all arts degrees are useless]for the majority of students I was not saying science degrees or marine biology is useless- read the context or apologies if i was expressing it poorly.
    I know its useful as James Bond has a degree in it

YGM BTW

Love humanities grads….historians have a brilliant way of thinking. And they don’t get A*s just by learning stuff

You dont get graded that way in degrees ..someone who taught or employed folk or read CV’s or had a degree would know that. I cannot think why you made that error if your CV is as you claim.

konabunny
    Free Member

I think you may be reading a layer of sarcasm into his/her post that wasn’t there.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Not something that i’ve ever come across, but then I’ve only been paid to be arty farty for 25 years. Guess I’m just not mixing with the right crowd.

You’re Arty Farty, but never been to The Party?

dragon
    Free Member

Thing that is great about science degrees is they really don’t limit your area at all ime, bring good at critical thinking, maths and report writing are very wanted skills in many industries.

Junkyard at a modular level on my degree we got given A,B,C type grades.

br
    Free Member

Nicky Morgan – another lawyer…, yep I’ll listen to her advice, NOT!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You’re Arty Farty, but never been to The Party?

Apparently not. I can only assume that someone got the house number on my invite wrong.

CHB

I value both the sciences AND the arts. The arts are WHY life is worth living. The sciences are the tech to make it better and sustainable. Though I am an unashamed scientist/engineer, MrsHB combines science, music, drama (!)and art. We make sure our urchins appreciate both.
    As an employer, I see far more candidates who can talk, but can’t calculate than I do students who can do, but can’t communicate. So for CV’s a good science/maths/core humanities wins out over some of the more “esoteric” subjects. But at the end of the day education is only worth what you can do with it, so if confidence and communication skills are zero then all the PhD’s in the world will not get you a job.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What an utter moron.

I’ve just been spitting expletives across the keyboard.

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s better to spit expletives than split infinitives.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Apparently not. I can only assume that someone got the house number on my invite wrong

word of mouth only…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Because the UK makes nothing from the creative industries…’ is closed to new replies.