Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Bear Gryll for real?
  • Curly68
    Free Member

I watched an episode last night with my son and wasn't convinced by him. Stuck in a vast jungle and happened to come across a cave, a lonely catfish in a pool then a vine that happened to cross a ravine he had to cross!
    Now I realise that, if you know what you are looking for, it is all out there. Those just seemed too much like coincidence to be on his route.

jabbathehut
    Free Member

No the situations are pretty much stage managed. He openly admits this but the show is meant to be good TV which i thimk it manages well.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i think it's all bollocks. i've seen snippets of it, he'll be on some vertical rock face commenting on how it's a struggle…. but who is holding the camera ffs.

did you see that top gear amazon thingy they did? on one of the in-car shots, if you were quick enough you could see the crew in the background before they cut away, on freeze frame i counted 10 crew members and loads of recording equipment but when they do the final edit it looks like the presenters are all alone in the wilderness. that's only one example but i now tend to treat all television with contempt and scepticism.

grumm
    Free Member

He openly admits this

They openly admitted it after the first series when it was exposed as all being bullshit – they then added a disclaimer at the start. Many of the things he recommends you do are pretty much the opposite of what you should really do.

I don't enjoy having my intelligence insulted so I'm not a fan.

Someone who worked on the show even claimed that in one scene someone dressed up in a bear suit and made 'scary noises' while 'Bear' or rather, Edward Grylls pretended to be petrified.

backhander
    Free Member

I'm not a fan. In fact I think he's a complete knob.

iDave
    Free Member

it's bollox, i won't watch it, the things he suggests would be more likely to lead to death. he's ridiculed and despised in the outdoor industry. i can imagine this is response from other people is nothing new to him.

stompy

He is a complete nob and it's obviously all bollocks….. I'd like to see Bruce Parry and Ray Mears (sp?) kick his arse 😈

roper
    Free Member

This is his best work, 😆

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

Drac

stuartcmorrison, Topgear never say they doing it alone they often mention the crew support, they often appear in shot too because they don't plan to hide them.

Bear Grylls was exposed as a fraud as Grum says.

GrahamS

Clearly a complete fruad and secretly a pampered luvvy who films it all in a studio and does the bad bits with CGI.

It's not like he:
    – was Youngest Briton to climb Mount Ama Dablam.
    – was in the Guinnes Book of Records as the youngest person to climb Everest.
    – has crossed the North Atlantic Arctic Ocean in a small open rigid inflatable.
    – became the first man to fly a powered paraglider to a height above Mount Everest in the Himalaya.

And raised millions for charities in the process.

What a cock eh? 🙄

organic355
    Free Member

Nice one GrahamS!! Made me Smile!!

I quite like the guy, admittedly some of it is staged, but its quite good TV.

grumm
    Free Member

TBH that just makes it worse, as he must know full well that what he is doing/saying is bollocks and if people followed it they would probably end up dead. He also probably could have got commissioned and made some genuinely interesting and exciting programmes about some of the stuff he has done – rather than telling outright lies and deceptions.

plumber
    Free Member

for the paraglider thing alone hes worth applauding – not that i'd want to have a beer with him though

backhander
    Free Member

Actually roper, I think this is his best work.
    NSFW and very very funny
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=47b_1258399178

Curly68
    Free Member

Well that answers that then! Thought it was a bit too contrived.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Whatever your opinion on him I know a few people who have been inspired to get outdoors because of his show/him. Thats a good thing in my book! Some pretty impressive stuff there GrahamS!

backhander
    Free Member

Whatever his achievements, it does not give him the liberty to deliberately mislead purely for personal gain. It also does not mean he's not a cock.

GrahamS

What is this "deliberately misleading information" he gives? YouTube clips please?

And if he is so despised by the "real" outdoor community then why do major outdoor suppliers sponsor him and why was he elected the yougest ever Chief Scout?

backhander
    Free Member

He's sponsored by craghoppers. 'nuff said.
    He may have been the youngest to do this and that but the main reason is that he's massively priveliged to be from a very very wealthy family.
    Do you not think that making these survival programmes and getting in his sleeping bag for the camera before staying in a hotel is misleading?

grumm
    Free Member

What is this "deliberately misleading information" he gives? YouTube clips please?

Look it up yourself, there's plenty of evidence of fakery, deception and misleading information.

One striking example I remember of dangerous advice was his recommending jumping (I think off a small cliff) into a fast flowing river, as a means of transport in a survival situation. Pretty sure that's not a good idea for all sorts of reasons.

IanMunro
    Free Member

He's not even a real bear.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

He's not even a real bear.

😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

he's massively priveliged to be from a very very wealthy family.

But at least he still did that stuff – other young and rich kids would just snort away a few million £…

backhander
    Free Member

Fair comment MF, but I'm sure that there are plently of people capable of doing these things but do not get the opportunity because they're not very rich.

yetiguy
    Free Member

The guy is awesome, seriously, it may be staged but what he does is real.

My hero !!!

Blower
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Clearly a complete fruad and secretly a pampered luvvy who films it all in a studio and does the bad bits with CGI.

It's not like he:
    – was Youngest Briton to climb Mount Ama Dablam.
    – was in the Guinnes Book of Records as the youngest person to climb Everest.
    – has crossed the North Atlantic Arctic Ocean in a small open rigid inflatable.
    – became the first man to fly a powered paraglider to a height above Mount Everest in the Himalaya.

And raised millions for charities in the process.

What a cock eh?

+1 well said

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

He is a plonker and his advice is utter cack.

its an entertainment show and nothing to do with survival.

Blower
    Free Member

better than all or most of the drivel on tv,entertaining yes..

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I'd say he's done pretty well making a good business out of the talent's he's got- hardly a plonker. He said himself he'd like his son's to do better at school than he did so they don't have to eat creepy crawlies etc for a living.

Ok the show is staged and if you were out on your own in a survival situation you wouldn't free climb up cliffs, pole vault gorges or leap into rivers but are you telling me the advice he gives about what plants and animals you could eat is cack- given that he employs a local survival expert for each show.

Does he have the wrong background for you by any chance TJ?

Blower
    Free Member

dont see how people say hes a plonker or whatever,seems ok to me,would have a pint with him.acheieved alot in life he has.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

uponthedowns.

His advice is cack. Free climbing cliffs and so is is cack as is eating local plants. You can survive without food for a few days no problem all you need is water and basic advice about how to get out of the situation. What he does is very bad practice.

backhander
    Free Member

He went to eton. He is the son of tory politician SIR Michael grylls.
    Not a fan.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Well at least you're honest about your prejudice backhander- unlike some.

Slogo
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

ha ha ha

you know Easterners isn't real right? star trek…. that's misleading people!

i love watching the show it entertains me!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As long as you accept it for entertainment and nothing to do with survival advice then its fine. As survival advice its wrong and dangerous

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

WTF is "Easterners" ?

Have they got a series on TV about Lithuanians and Poles ?

IanMunro
    Free Member

The problem appears to be that to a large extent he's sold his soul to various media outlets, so our perception of him as a cock is largely driven by the exposure the media has given him.
    The issue is deciding whether he is a fantastically focused really nice chap, who accepts that his media image is a price worth paying for the money, or that he's a bell end with an ego the size of a small planet.
    I guess people who have spent time with him are the only ones who can truly answer this.
    Of course the problem with this is that the people who have spent time with him, might themselves be really nice chaps, or bell ends with similar planet sized egos.
    I image he's probably a bit of both.

Blacklug
    Free Member

I watched an episode where he was on the Skeleton coast .. he gave his usual drivel .. and ate (and spat out as usual) some disgusting mixture of things he found laying about..

The following evening Ray Mears was on tv at the skeleton coast. In his usual unassuming fashion he cooked up an absolute feast of shell fish etc.

If Grylls is really an ex-SAS as the story goes(dont almost every ex-serviceman claim to be) – then those guys need some lessons off Ray Mears on real survival.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Isn't Ray Mears sponsored by Burger King?
    As an armchair survivalist, keyboard warrior and internet hard-man, I reckon in order of media icons most likely to survive for real, we have –
    1) Lofty Wiseman
    2) Bruce Parry
    3) Davina McCall
    4) all the rest.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Bear Gryll for real?’ is closed to new replies.