Home Forums Bike Forum Bead not seated on tyre inflated with inner tube; will I die?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bead not seated on tyre inflated with inner tube; will I die?
  • Kramer
    Free Member

Long story short, a spoke has broken on my rear wheel and fractured the rim tape. After trying to get the tyre to seal, I’ve put an inner tube in.

The tyre has inflated, but even pumped up as high as my mini-pump can get it, the bead is not seated evenly around the rim.

I’ve got a 15 minute ride to the station tomorrow to get home. Will I die?

TL:DR tyre has been inflated using an inner tube, but it’s not evenly seated, will it be ok for a short ride tomorrow?

wheelsonfire1

Make sure that it’s not the inner tube stuck under the bead otherwise you may…. experience a loud bang and sudden deflation followed by your rim getting distorted!

Del

Yeah. You can try standing on the tyre on the opposite side and pulling the wheel towards you in an effort to better seat it but it’ll be fine.

J-R

As it’s a rear wheel what’s the worst that can go wrong? The tyre comes off and the back wheel skids you to a halt – unlikely to get out of control or OTB.

And most likely thing to happen is the tyre eventually seats itself properly.

But IANAD

dartdude
    Free Member

Air compressor

reeksy

Deflate it. Get it wet, add some soap or washing up liquid to the bead. Pump it up again.

5lab
    Free Member

I’ve seen bikes ridden for years like that. You can fix it by tugging the tyre up but it’s very likely to be fine to ride

Kramer
    Free Member

Air compressor

Don’t have access to one before I go home.

bails

It’ll be fine.

garage-dweller

The main reason one of my bikes is tubeless is because I kept getting this issue on a particular wheel set regardless of tyres.

No amount of CO2 or persuasion seemed to do the trick but I rode it a fair few miles (off road) after a flat with a wonky bead.

irc
    Free Member

+1 for deflating and spraying soapy water around the bead then relating.

thols2

It’ll be fine.

Probably. If it’s not, the worst that will happen is your ears will be ringing for a few days. Probably.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

I’ve had to go over 50 psi to get some tyres to seat properly, I always use washing up liquid now and it always does the trick.

andytherocketeer

Had that on a front wheel, even pumped up to the max pressure. Was totally undetectable offroad.
    On the fast cyclepath back in to town though was a different matter, and was like riding a 50p shaped wheel. Now I know what an F1 driver feels when they flatspot the tyres.
    Soao and water and a trackpump sorted it.
    I could only assume that the tube pushes down on the bead creating friction, rather than pushing out sideways.

matt_outandabout

Definitely deflated, soap up your bead and reinflate

nickjb
    Free Member

Before we had tubeless there was nothing for the bead to seat onto. The tube will hold it just fine.

reeksy

…I fear we were wrong and he has in fact died.

Hope the bike is salvageable.

Kramer
    Free Member

I am still alive. After reading the thread I deflated the back tyre a bit and pushed the bead off the rim all round to check it wasn’t impinging on the inner tube. When I re-inflated it set the bead perfectly.

dartdude
    Free Member

👍

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.