Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • bbq musings
  • meehaja
    Free Member

Why are charcoal bags sewn shut? Is this a ploy to make me feel doubly manly by cooking with fire and using a knife as a legitimate tool or is there a more sensible reason?

nealglover
    Free Member

Pull the string. No need for a knife.

Unless of course you are a violent fantasist 😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

aren’t you supposed yank aggresively on the thread and tear the top from the bag in a manly way?

you can resort to impliments if you need to though 😉

meehaja
    Free Member

I like to create a neat chute so I can pour and store! (before cooking in a stone sink with the back of a fridge as a grill!)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There aretwo reasons i can think of as to whythey’re sewn shut. either becausr it isn’t very sensible to use hot glue to seal a paper bag full of flammable charcole not to mention the glue wouldn’t work due to charcole dust preventing the bag to glue together. Other than that seems like a great excuse to get a few mates to gather round with beer to discuss!

daftvader
    Free Member

Use a knife…. grrrrr man!

[/url]
    knife by Timlittle, on Flickr[/img]

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Bags of animal feed are also sewn closed. Cheapest most reliable method of sealing paper derived bags perhaps?

footflaps

It’s a very strong method of sealing the bag, which is ideal if you have a lot of weight in there eg animal feed and 25kg bags. It’s also probably pretty cheap to automate.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘bbq musings’ is closed to new replies.