Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • BBC website – Football
  • 49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there is a way to remove the football drivel from the Sport Homepage.
    The odd headline is fine, but the whole headline page seems full of just one ‘sport’.

Why do the good folk at the Beeb assume that people can’t click the tab for Fball…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Football season innit. Dunno whether you’ve noticed, but alot of people ARE bothered about it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

unfortunately the sports page will cover the most popular sport in the country and I dont think you can do as you ask

why not bookmark the sports you do wish to read about?

NormalMan

Given your username I thought you’d want a different sort of football! One that kicks off tomorrow night!

chrismac

49er_Jerry – Member
    Does anyone know if there is a way to remove the football drivel from the Sport Homepage.
    The odd headline is fine, but the whole headline page seems full of just one ‘sport’.

Why do the good folk at the Beeb assume that people can’t click the tab for Fball…

I dont think the average football fan is bright enough for that so it has to be obvious. Like you I have no idea why it dominates the sports news as its seems to be just about making money out of fans as far as I can see

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Quite happy reading about sports I want read about. It’s the sports articles that I don’t know that I want to read which get pushed aside by Fball. In the closed season, there is much more variation on the headline page.

I would assume people who want to read in depth about Fball can click there too in the same way my first choice is F1. Major headlines on the Sport homepage, but other stuff on the relevant page.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

When I load the sports page and scroll down just a bit to see all the content that will fit on one screen’s worth of vertical pixels, I can see 4 football stories, 2 tennis, 1 cricket, 1 formula1 and 1 rugby story. So less than 50% football. Not that bad surely?

Edit: Scrolling down a bit more shows only 5 football articles or stories out of about 16, again, not really all that bad is it?

I dont think the average football fan is bright enough for that so it has to be obvious

Yawn. Boring stereotypes. Lets all bring out the ‘wendyball’ comments too.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Given your username I thought you’d want a different sort of football! One that kicks off tomorrow night!

No, much more interested in what happens on SF Bay, starting on Saturday. But, wouldn’t expect pinnacle of world sport to find it’s way to the BBC sports pages at all.

NormalMan

True enough.
    Are you going to Wembley v the Jags?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I don’t if it was noted but Racheal’s world champs DH win was actually reported for once!

BBC actually report DH World champs win

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

When I load the sports page and scroll down just a bit to see all the content that will fit on one screen’s worth of vertical pixels, I can see 4 football stories, 2 tennis, 1 cricket, 1 formula 1 and 1 rugby story. So less than 50% football. Not that bad surely?

Fair comment, but why not 1 or 2 Fball headlines, plus stories from other sports in the same vane as the Fball closed season. I’ve no problem with the sport, but why sideline other potential stories for the sake of bland headlines for Football which have their own very comprehensive pages?

sc-xc

I dont think the average football fan is bright enough for that so it has to be obvious.

I consider myself to be an average football fan, but I can at least figure out how to navigate to the pages I am most interested in seeing.

johnellison
    Free Member

Obvious troll.

MSP

Fair comment, but why not 1 or 2 Fball headlines, plus stories from other sports in the same vane as the Fball closed season. I’ve no problem with the sport, but why sideline other potential stories for the sake of bland headlines for Football which have their own very comprehensive pages?

Because the BBC has largely been taken in a direction of competing for popularity rather than being a public service provider. I am a football fan, but I would rather see the BBC deal with a greater variety of sport than it currently does. And it’s football analysis is probably the worst there is.

Look how it ignores mountain biking, it’s cycling coverage has increased over the past couple of years, but mountain biking isn’t even mentioned, despite it’s popularity and the huge sucsess we have in downhill.

Even a sport Like motogp which they cover and have a team at track, no mention on the website about marquez’s crash at weekend for hours, or Readings victory.

Then compare it to F1, who they actively promote rather than report, Eccleston must be laughing his tits off at that deal, they pay millions to be F1’s main advertisers in the UK.

portlyone

You can do just that on the BBC Sport App

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Look how it ignores mountain biking, it’s cycling coverage has increased over the past couple of years, but mountain biking isn’t even mentioned, despite it’s popularity and the huge sucsess we have in downhill.

No one gives a shit about mountain biking to be honest.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Not to bad if you ask me.

Headlines

Rugby League
    O’Meley retires with knee injury

Football
    Bale ‘not guaranteed Real start’

Tennis
    Youzhny ends Hewitt hopes in five sets

Football
    Injury worries over NI defenders

Basketball
    GB set for vital EuroBasket campaign

Formula 1
    Ricciardo expected to challenge Vettel

Equestrian
    Fox-Pitt shrugs off ‘frantic’ flight

Sailing
    Team USA docked America’s Cup points

Boxing
    Matthew Hatton retires from boxing

Cricket
    Irish cricket takes big step – ICC

Taekwondo
    Muhammad targets first national title

Cricket
    Scotland switch focus to Ireland games

Rugby Union
    Cliff Morgan’s family to wear red at funeral

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m just a stupid soccer fan, but maybe you could just bookmark the sections you are interested in?

For example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football

MSP

It’s much more popular than many of the sports that the BBC does report. Have a look at those listed in the “more sports” tab. I mean who gives a shit about archery?

mikey3
    Free Member

just click on the sports you are interested in reading about.Not that hard really is it.

martinhutch

More importantly, can anyone at the BBC sort out what has to be the most annoying front page feature ever?

On the main featured story, you stick your mouse on the link and it immediately pops up a load more options, shifting the links upward and meaning you have to move your mouse again to get what you actually want.

andytherocketeer

Was a similar thread on here ages back. Back when BBC site first let you semi-customise the webpage with your preferred sports and news topics.

Despite choosing Wintersports, F1 and Cycling, I think I posted up a list of news headlines that were something like 13 football stories and a Rugby one snuck in the middle somewhere. And even when it did show selected choices, the main one with picture was always football.

I loathe football. I only used to not like it very much, until too many people rammed it down my throat. Except when Southampton totally and utterly thrashed my ex-flatmate’s team 🙂 (that’s the only time he shut up about football)

Was very surprised when I saw the World Championships story. Shame they neglected to add a sentence to report the Junior Champion too.

Jamie
    Free Member

until too many people rammed it down my throat.

*snigger*

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Despite choosing Wintersports, F1 and Cycling, I think I posted up a list of news headlines that were something like 13 football stories and a Rugby one snuck in the middle somewhere. And even when it did show selected choices, the main one with picture was always football.

They only update the Winter sports headlines every 4 years…

hilldodger
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

True enough I’m afraid, it’s incredibly low profile as a sport.
    Even folk who consider themselves general sports fans would struggle to name any current top mtbers, Athertons maybe, but apart from that……

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I mean who gives a shit about archery?

😀

Archery is an Olympic sport though!

MTBing is more of a hobby than a sport really.

portlyone

Who uses the BBC to access minority sports? I don’t even use it for football!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Because nobody wants to read about:
    – grown up men poncing around in their pyjamas running inside at the first site of rain/’bad light’ etc
    – egg chasing
    – the mind numbing dullness that is F1
    etc

And…

I dont think the average football fan is bright enough for that so it has to be obvious

And yet the obviously more intelligent person who doesn’t want to read about ‘sport for thick people’ can’t navigate around possibly the most easy to navigate website on the net? Classic dickhead STW comment…

hilldodger
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

….MTBing is more of a hobby than a sport really.

I guess so, something you do until you learn about proper bikes really

vinnyeh

I dont think the average football fan is bright enough for that so it has to be obvious. Like you I have no idea why it dominates the sports news as its seems to be just about making money out of fans as far as I can see

…in the same way my first choice is F1..

No, much more interested in what happens on SF Bay, starting on Saturday. But, wouldn’t expect pinnacle of world sport to find it’s way to the BBC sports pages at all.

Trolltrolltroll.

You’ve complained about fan gouging in sport, but F1 is your “first choice”
    And Americas Cup is the pinnacle of world sport?

😆 🙄

Odd you refer to money, when these two are possibly the most money driven “sports” on the planet.

😆

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘BBC website – Football’ is closed to new replies.