Home Forums Bike Forum BB5 pads multi packs for dry use

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • BB5 pads multi packs for dry use
  • jkomo

Had a look at STW history and can’t find much.
    I need to take some to Greece. The brakes are pro max cable pull single caliper jobbies so pretty basic. Coming down a steep gravely descent I feel like I’m full on them a lot of the time. What’s the best (value) dry pads I can get for these- any ideas?

cookeaa

I got this big bag of BB5 pads last year for my CX bike:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09N1NKLFF?ref=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_VNDRKWBR36YBS38REHE7_1&ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_VNDRKWBR36YBS38REHE7_1&social_share=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_VNDRKWBR36YBS38REHE7_1&starsLeft=1&skipTwisterOG=1

7 pairs of basic resin pads for a fiver.

Admittedly my expectations were low and I thought I’d be changing them every other race (on a bike basically intended to be ridden in one hour stints) but they’ve lasted better than expected, still on the first pair after more mixed mileage than I originally intended, and they do work at least as well as any other pads I’ve used with the BB5s (better than some TBF).

As ever with mechanical discs, best investment is in decent outers and cables, if they’re a bit mushy knackered cables are often worth checking for.

jkomo

Crikey, can’t argue with that. Bought.
    Thanks Cookeaa

mrdestructo

Avid Speed Dial levers and Teflon coated cables massively make a difference to those brakes.

Is where you’re going to be riding sandy? BB5 pads are tiny and prone to getting wiped out fast by sand. Pad compound is very important if that’s the case. 

jkomo

Yeah it lives on a Greek island, with a mini mountain range. Everything is dust or sand.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

Agree with cookea re outer cables, make sure the ends are cut nice and square too.

I have some Avid speed dial levers you can have for postage if they’d be an upgrade on your current levers.

jkomo

That’s really kind, it’s on a charge plug with Tiagra groupset on drop bars.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

Sorry I assumed it was a flat bar bike, the avid levers won’t be any use and Tiagra levers won’t be the weak link.

If you haven’t changed the outer cables from stock then that’s probably the best thing you can do along with some decent pads. I use Jagwire compressionless outer.

jkomo

I’ll have a look at taking some outers with me. Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.