Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • BB – XTR, Hope or bling for King?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Second XT external BB in 12 months, so looking for something better

What d’ya reckon?

singlespeedstu

My Kings have been going strong for a good 18 months now.

XT’s lasted me about 9 months.

You will need to use the grease tool if you want your King to last a long time though.

ojom
    Free Member

Hope and CK both seem to last up here in muddy scotland-land.

Personally use Hope Ceramic ones – no reason for ceramic other than thats what we had in stock when i needed one.

Got some CK in end of last week super cheap so may change depending on Santa giving me folding presents…

scant
    Free Member

king.

singlespeedstu

Got some CK in end of last week super cheap

So you having a sale then? 😉

ojom
    Free Member

we don’t do sales.

you do however, as a STW user have a discount code to use of STWTBC.

Whether you choose to use this is up to you.

(Plus it is cheaper than a sale ever would be anyways. ;-))

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Have had 2yrs out of my hope ceramic one. Still smooth as the day i bought it.

singlespeedstu

thebikechain.

The correct answer should be.

We had a sale yesterday.
    We’ll also be having a sale tomorrow when we’re not open. 😆

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The Bike Chain what does that discount code equate to?

P20

The Phil Wood one looks good

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Could you buy a cheap Superstar BB rip out the bearings and install some Hope replacement ceramic bearings?

Would work out about £20 cheaper if the bearings are £26 each and the BB is £20?

Is it possible?

ojom
    Free Member

STWTB = 5% off web price
    There is another one for Premier Members as well that you need to be a Premier member to get.

bonesetter
    Free Member

How much is the King grease gun?

bonesetter
    Free Member

So a Bike Chain King would work out to £76. Not bad I suppose, but depends on the grease gun cost.

A stainless steel Hope is £60

druidh
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member
    STWTBC = 5% off web price

T. FIFY

mansonsoul
    Free Member

What does

T. FIFY

mean?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

There, Fixed it for you.

The code was wrong.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Wheels Manufacturing one to try, got in with the 10% off from CRC and in Black it was only £36. Looks well made and the bearings are super smooth.

Not fitted it yet so can’t comment on longevity. Although my LBS talks highly of them.

Nige, Have you tried prising open the XT one and regreasing it, that just worked with my Raceface one.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

There, Fixed it for you.
    The code was wrong.

Thankyou! Online ignorance clearly displayed!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I googled it, no idea before.

andrewh
    Free Member

Square taper obviously.
    UN74 and Middleburn RS8s.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Mr Tall – did manage to open the last XT bearings and regreasing gave another couple of months service, but this one will not open…?

I have square taper & MB’s on another bike, but just yesterday removal stripped the retainer thread – MB’s are temperamental

69er
    Free Member

andrewh – Member

Square taper obviously.
    UN74 and Middleburn RS8s.

Close but no cigar. ROYCE and Middleburn RS8 square taper. TEN years with no bearing change!

bonesetter
    Free Member

10 years 😯 How aften do you ride?

snakebite
    Free Member

King for me, the LBS has a grease gun, I call in now and then for a 2 minute pump through….maintains the warranty that way 😀

giantjason
    Free Member

king for me aswell.

got them on both my mtb and commuter and have the grease gun as well so i can regularily keep them full of grease and running smoothly.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

King, then Hope, then XT then as an absolute last resort if my arm was up my back Raceface.

My 2 Kings are still top notch. They can be regreased without the tool; instructions are provided with the BB.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

PACE do their own King type external BB at less the cost of King. When I say King type I mean that they do the BB (£70) and they do a tool (£15) that plugs onto a compatible grease gun (£15) to enable you to squirt grease through the bearing.

I have no idea if they are any good though. CRC have them at the moment with a small discount.

garethh
    Free Member

King – was what I thought 2 years ago when I bought mine, has now developed serious play in the drive side cup, guess I’ll be testing the 5 year warranty then. Bugger!

EDIT: found the receipt purchased 14 months ago from winstanleys, even more cheesed off

br
    Free Member

Hope ceramic for 2 years now, just works.

69er
    Free Member

@ bonesetter, about once every 10 years! 😉

In reality this b/b has been used loads and transferred from bike to bike. I don’t ever jetwash my bike. Also I don’t jump so the Ti axle is fine for me. I’ve never really see the need for ISIS or X type bb’s.

Shimano’s UN72 was legendary. Incredible value and performance. The Royce is just a lighter, better engineered, better qualtiy and serviceable version.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I like the idea of your Royce/sq taper – I too have a Phil sq taper with servicable bearings. The Phil’s didn’t last long I have to say in my HT I used over last winter, plus the Middleburns have to said are a faff.

The XT crankset this BB is for is 4 years old and has been in as many bikes, it’s just so easy to maintain when anything needs doing, lighter and stiffer than the ‘burns.. etc

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘BB – XTR, Hope or bling for King?’ is closed to new replies.