Home Forums Bike Forum BB and axle tolerences

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • BB and axle tolerences
    mjsmke

Usually when removing cranks I have to push/pull quite hard or even use a soft mallet to tap the axle out. Even on old/worn BB’s. Thats with Sram Dub and sometimes with Shimano. Today I changed cranks (Sram Dub) on a C bear ceramic BB and the cranks slid out easily, almost falling out. The new cranks (also Sram Dub) went in with little to no resistance and when torqued up and the pre-load adjusted correctly, there is a tiny amount of play if I hold both cranks arms and rock them hard. Bearings run smooth and cant feel any play when riding but wonder if its just the inner diameter of the BB bearing a tiny bit too large?

Just seems strange as Ive never had an axle and BB interface with such litle resistance before. Checked and not missing any spacers either.

thols2

My guess is that it’s fine as long as it doesn’t have any play when assembled.

mjsmke

It does a bit. But only if I hold both cranks and rock them hard. Don’t notice it when spinning the cranks.

angrycat
    Free Member

Rocking them “hard” with your hands is not putting anywhere near the same amount of force through it as pedalling will do.

mjsmke

Went for a ride this morning and didnt notice any play so I’ll keep riding asit is and see if it gets worse. The BB has a 2 year warranty and only 6 months old so might see what they say.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.