Home Forums Chat Forum Battery power tools. Stick or twist.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Battery power tools. Stick or twist.
  • tthew

I have an Einhell battery drill that I’m not very keen on. It drills OK but the body is very plasticy and it’s not well balanced. We have a hedge trimmer that takes the same batteries.

Now I’d quite like a couple of additional tools, so I’m in a quandary weather I buy a new drill set, (£150 to £200 for something a bit more premium) and start again with or stick with the Einhell brand. If I decide to move over later once I have a few items, could get really pricey.

Hmm, it’s a classic WWSTW do quandary.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d switch. You can often get a great deal on a drill and battery as they use them as a gateway drug to get you in.

Get a decent brand (cough)Makita(/cough) and there are a huge range of quality tools available at a good price as bare tools

Recent thread worth a read:

Cordless tools – Best brand?

mrchrispy

twist.
    I went all in on Einhell and whilst they are perfectly functional I cant help feeling that Makita would have been the better choice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And Bosch blue would be the next step up from makita

Issue with Makita (and DeWalt) is it’s very easy to get something visually similar to the good stuff. While really having something with no better durability  than the einhall. -and that is a deliberate slight.

At least with the Bosch blue you know it’ll last.

maccruiskeen

And Bosch blue

If a hedge trimmer and other garden stuff is as important was the drill then  for home/garden stuff Bosch seem to lean more on their cheaper Green DIY range – they do have a few garden tools for the blue range but pretty slim pickings choice wise compared to whats offered by  Dewalt and Makita

TheDTs
    Free Member

The universal battery thing coming in next year,  maybe wait until that happens? Or wait and bag a bargain from the old style batteries?

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/new-eu-power-tool-battery-rules-from-2025.147451/

Edit. Adaptors are already available for the larger brands.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If a hedge trimmer and other garden stuff is as important was the drill then

Battery adaptors exist and work well.

tthew

I’m not so bothered about the hedge trimmer, that can stand alone. That euro battery rule looks interesting, I’ll read that fully later.

Yak

Twist. Einhell is perfectly functional for occasional use. If you are a heavier user, not so good. I have a einhell mower and just about to use it now. But a few years in and it still cuts fine, the blade sharpens fine, but all the plastic bits are failing. So the handle and other parts will need some gaffer tape bodge fixes soon etc. Given the likely replacement needed next year, maybe, then thats a new mower to replacement in 4 years. Yeah it was cheaper than premium brands but probably not cheaper in the long run.

janwal
    Free Member

Check out the Ryobi-one 18v range on their website .Can’t fault them get 3 yr warranty. I’ve got most common stuff and two longer reach hedge trimmers.  They’ve always got offers on both starter kits and bare tools. Also try this site for Ryobi and others https://www.cbspowertools.com/

kormoran
    Free Member

Id probably twist. I’m fully Makita’d up(trade) and it’s all good. As trailrat mentioned there is some low end stuff around, I have a combi in this category although it was basically free with 2 batteries. It is showing its age but has had absolute dogs abuse for nearly 10 years.

For me the ease of spare/replacement parts is a big win. I just replaced the motor on a blower, cheap and next day. For DIY your probably never wear stuff out but it’s good to have backup

Id also say don’t get too hung up on battery size, it’s tempting to want BIG ones but imv small ones are nicer to use, especially on a driver for example, or a combi in a DIY scenario where they will last ages. Big batteries go on my grinders and breakers. Id rather have a couple of small batteries and the fast charger for home jobs.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I went with Makita and am now buying second hand bare tools off eBay as and when I need them.

Makita have great parts availability and are easy to fix.

Latest buy was an impact wrench which was less than half new price. It works perfectly but I’ve given it a clean anyway – if I wanted it to look like new I could just spend £20 on a new OEM case.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Second hand bare of internet = stolen. Doesn’t it?

Northwind

I’ve said it before but I really like Makita partly because they have the best copy/compatible market. Not for chargers and batteries, they are often terrible and may burn your house down. But I have about 50/50 genuine makita- for when it needs to work- and copy “for makita” for when it needs to be cheap. So impact, drills, chargers and batteries are all genuine but I have a £20 makita-compatible strimmer, I just wouldn’t have bought a genuine one ever. 3 cheap angle grinders because angle grinders are such simple tools and not having to change wheels is a huge advantage but buying multiple genuine tools is beyond me. A couple of lights which are actually better than teh Makita lights as well as cheaper. And a dual action polisher which cost the same as a cheap corded one

Cheap tool + quality battery can be a great combination. Course, you can get compatibles for other brands, or battery adaptors, but “Makita” definitely have the best selection

_charlie_
    Free Member

@Northwind any current links for the imitation products you recommend

I’ve got a stack of Makita kit I like, but like even more the idea of cheaper alternatives that work with the same battery platform

scratch
    Free Member

That EU Reg further up about universal batteries is an April fools isn’t it?

Went Ebauer last time but through gifting and picking up a deal on a laser level I also have DeWalt and Bosch green, I get tradys need the simplicity but it’s never bothered me specifically charging another tool as a heavy DIY user.

My Ebauer Impact flexs a touch under heavy use, it’s fine though and was a really good deal on the twin-set

Northwind

_charlie_
    Free Member

@Northwind
    any current links for the imitation products you recommend

Nah, sorry, I just hit amazon ebay and aliexpress any time I want something.

FuzzyWuzzy

I think it depends what your use case is really, for me Ryobi made sense as the range is great and they often have decent offers on (and are generally a bit cheaper than the top brands). I’m aware that De Walt, Milwaukee, Makita etc. are usually better tools (especially the core stuff like drills and impact wrenches) but I’ve drilled about 3 holes in the last 10 years so the Ryobi one+ 18v brushless one is more than enough for my needs.

I’d also never buy a power tool (or battery) from anything but the vendor’s web-site, large chain or official dealer with a good rep – there’s way too many convincing looking fakes out there these days.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.