Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • Battening down the hatches
  • scotroutes

swavis – did you get the lightning?

robdob
    Free Member

piemonster – Member
    If I may be serious, for just a second.

Keep safe folks, especially those in coastal flood zones.

I meant that as well, which is unusual.

+1

I may be working this weekend if it starts flooding in Yorkshire.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just walked a couple of miles into the office to recover the car and had to clear fallen branches from the lanes. Time to follow GeoffJ’s lead.

Blowing a hoolie around the house, the fire and burner have never got going so quickly!

Heading for Cressbrook over the tops later, do I ride or drive, hmmmmmm?

ElShalimo

scotroutes
    The storm “season” is usually Sept to April but major windstorms can occur at any time. It was a major storm that wiped out the Spanish Armada

swavis

swavis – did you get the lightning?

Yeah, just two flashes though but quite impressive as it was so black out there. It has actually been rather stormy. The wind woke the wee lad up at half two this morning and we struggled to get him back off to sleep. Although with it being a north westerly it’s really whipping round the house, it sounds a lot worse than it is. The rain was really thumping down on my way to work at 6:30 and the power’s been flickering…

Stay safe out there.

athgray
    Free Member

Planned to climb up Ben Hope on a day off from work. Hit that one on the head.

eskay

Not looking forward to the ride home. I was blown in this morning by a strong tail wind!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

My mistake, the clouds scudding by were actually my neighbour’s sheep.

birky
    Free Member

Sounds wild out there. Local weather station 2 miles from me (nw of Dundee) has recorded 87mph gusts so far this morning 😯

stevious

eskay – don’t worry about getting home. Just click the heels of your ruby slippers together and say ‘There’s no place like home’ three times.

piemonster

birky – Member
    Sounds wild out there. Local weather station 2 miles from me (nw of Dundee) has recorded 87mph gusts so far this morning

You got a link birky?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i stand corrected – a colleague picked me up and we drove to work – tree down on top of a polo on malcolm road. occupants ok.

stand by my earlier observation – its not as bad on top of the hill as it was on friday but its worse everywhere else 😀

scotroutes

140mph on Aonach Mor!

birky
    Free Member
    bruneep

Why do they insist on sending a tv reporter out on location when it’s shit weather?

piemonster

140mph on Aonach Mor!

So, standard Scottish ski conditions then?

piemonster

Birky, thanks for that.

Hohum
    Free Member

Train to Haymarket just ran over something and made a worrying noise.

We are now stopped just outside Uphall.

Stoner
    Free Member

looks a wee bit draughty up there
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

lemonysam
    Free Member

Just stepped outside to ride to work, got whacked in the face by a stick, decided to get the train.

iainc

a propoer categorised ‘hooly’ in East Kilbride 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^

Ha ha! Very funny trail_rat!

scotroutes

Seems to have passed us now.

Snow next?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Here near Skipton and its a tad windy, I think my ride plans are on hold. In fact I may stay in all day.

allthegear
    Free Member

Had simultaneous alerts from Environment Agency last night via text, email and voice message. Got to admit they seem to be good at alerting people these days…

Rachel (might wear a waterproof later)

Houns

Parents currently driving up to a funeral in Newcastle, mum text to say lorries getting blown around on the A1 near York

peterfile
    Free Member

My office in Glasgow is moving.

We’re getting pummelled here 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

My wife thought it was ‘button’ down the hatches 😀

kcal

Think the worst of the rain passed through overnight, but wind has picked up in last couple of hours for sure.

Glad I’m working from home, wouldn’t like to be cycling or indeed driving anywhere, certainly not flying!

Good day for putting the washing out, so long as you jubilee clip the washing to the line..

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive been watching sleasyjet flying out of aberdeen – they appear to be the only jets going , the small turboprops have been going – but they fly in anything.

last easyjet i watched go out got about 100ft up out the lie of kirkhill then started getting tossed around like a mobile phone in the washing machine.

winds calmed down here now too.

i live on top of an exposed hill , we get alot of bad wind – im still adament that isnt the worst wind of the year for us.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Might even have to use the clips to keep the lid on the hot tub! 😆

martymac

current alerts from forth one radio station advise that FRB and clackmannanshire bridge are closed, as well as all scotrail services being cancelled until further notice.
    subjectively, it seems to have died down a wee bit here in dunfermline though.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Local weather station has seen a gust of 111 kph, hope it eases soon as our house is particularly exposed.

Northwind

It’s raining branches here… with the wind direction, if one of the redwoods decides to come down it’ll pretty much land on my desk 😆 My boss decided to cycle in this morning, not sure if brave or stupid but he did get blown over twice so probably the latter. We’ve left him in the warm corner til he stops shaking which, on the downside, means he’ll be the first one to be squashed by the trees.

martymac – Member

subjectively, it seems to have died down a wee bit here in dunfermline though.

Science- wind is caused by trains and/or traffic on bridges.

binners

They’ve just built a load of wind turbines outside our office (Burnley) as it’s a bit blustery at the best of times. I’m presently watching our large triple-glazed office windows bowing inwards. Which is a tad worrying! 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

think of the firewood northwind.

if id had the jeep id have been out scrumping/clearing the roads of branches today – as it happens im in work 🙁

martinhutch

Where’s that, DalesRider? It does seem a tad windy out and about in Skipton.

fasthaggis

we get alot of bad wind

Change of diet?

🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Two wagons down on the M6 near Carlisle and Penrith.

Just waiting for it to stop so I can survey how much bloody rubbish will end up in our front garden, ours must create some sort of vortex and attract everyone’s shit!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Battening down the hatches’ is closed to new replies.