Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bash guard for Shimano M785 2 x10
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Anyone recommend a bash guard for my shimano M785 2×10 crankset?
    I’m running the 26/38 teeth.
    I’ve noticed that Blackspire make the defender in a 36t, 38t and 40t.
    Reckon I should go for the 40t as I can’t seem to source a 38t version?
    Will this do the job okay?
    Or are there any other bash guards out there?

gonzy
    Free Member

using a 38t on the front then i’d suggest you go with a 40t bashring…the extra size will give you more protection on the tips of your chainring….
    e-thirteen do some pretty good bashguards in a wide range of colours…

jairaj

do you have ISCG mounts?

zelak999
    Free Member

No ISCG mounts unfortunately. It’s a SC Blur LT before they put the mounts on.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I’ve heard/read of people having problems with the defender fouling the front mech, so 38 might be better than 40.

Can’t vouch for that personally, as on my M785 I run a “bash of last resort” ie just change up into the big ring so the chain itself protects the teeth when I roll over logs 😀

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ooops double post… 😳

nockmeister
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these in red…tis quality (er in 36 5mm version tho)
    http://www.darkcycles.com/

zelak999
    Free Member

nockmeister – that does look lovely, no good for me though.
    perthmtb – where did you hear about the 40t snagging the front mech? Can’t find the 38t anywhere.
    I’d fit an e13 2x but it won’t work with my Blur LTc. Bashes the chainstay apparently.

gonzy
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80486&_$ja=tsid:46412|cgn:Bash+Guards|cn:Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-Eng-DT-SE|kw:283026UK_Lightweight+Bash+Guard+-+36-38t&gclid=CNWa_JDDz7cCFabLtAodE08AyA

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks Gonzy but I don’t think this will work with a 2×10 will it? Just a 3×10 with the outer ring removed?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

yes, zelak, that only works with a 3x big ring removed…

i went for a MRP 2x bash guard, that won;t work for you though without the ISCG tabs…

zelak999
    Free Member

Anyone else recommend a bash guard?

perthmtb
    Free Member

perthmtb – where did you hear about the 40t snagging the front mech?

Read it on one of the fora. Just had a quick Google but couldn’t find it, sorry. IIRC, the issue was the outer plate of the FD cage hitting the bash when in the ‘big’ ring. No need to have a bash larger than your big ring IMHO, you reduce clearance and are more likely to hit things…

On my race bike I run the M785 without bash, as I’m less likely to hit stuff. On my ‘fun’ bike I fitted an SLX M665 because it has a built in bash. Yes its 9sp, but I’ve had absolutely no issues running it with the rest of the drivetrain being 10sp, and I’m anal about my shifting 😀

creamegg
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new Straitline bash 38-40T, never used, bought the wrong size and forgot to send back. Let me know if interested. Oh its anodized orange though, but I think I also have an unused white one kicking about too

perthmtb
    Free Member

I think people recommending all sorts of bash guards on this thread should realise the OP is talking about an M785 which does not have the mounts for a big ring/bash. Only specially designed bashguards like the Blackspire defender will fit the M785!

creamegg
    Free Member

oh in that case have you considered Hope integrated bash?

typer
    Free Member

Normally just lurk here, but I’m running a M785 26/38t with a 40t max blackspire defender as I couldn’t get hold of a smaller one at the time. You can get it to work but there is very little clearance between the front mech and the defender (maybe 2-3mm) so it takes a bit of faffing about to get the mech set up 😉

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks folks.
    typer – I reckon I will try and get hold of a 38t one to save the front mech faff.
    I’m also looking at the MRP 2x or the XCG, just a bit concerned of the 2x not working too well with the chain stay on my Blur LTc….

typer
    Free Member

No probs, good luck with it fella 🙂

Blueadvocate

I’m looking for 38T as well.
    I took a flyer on 40T but it fouls on the mech as mentioned above.
    May give it another go and faff with the mech a bit.

zelak999
    Free Member

Bit the bullet and fitted an MRP 2x on the Blur LTc.
    Seems good so far!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bash guard for Shimano M785 2 x10’ is closed to new replies.