Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Bar tape – which end to start from?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve seen both done, I’ve done both. I can’t decide which I prefer.

What do you do?

wwaswas

end up.

munrobiker
    Free Member

End up. Why would you do it the other way?

fasthaggis

End up.

Correct.

Why would you do it the other way?

You did notice who* started this thread. >> Tons of smiley and winking emojis <<

* probably puts toilet rolls on the wrong way >> more smileys <<

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why would you do it the other way?

Because the Pro’s do.

Or rather, because it’s quicker for Pro mechanics to do it when applying fresh tape to 15 bikes every night and durability isn’t an issue because your hands will tend to rip up th edge if wrapped this way.

And more importantly, wrap it “out over the top”.

philjunior
    Free Member

The left.

thepurist

end up, top away from stem.

loo roll loose end hanging out

milk after tea

boiled eggs Lilliput style

trailwagger
    Free Member

I have started at the stem end before. It means you don’t have to use electrical tape and gives a neater finish.

I now use kinesis 4 season tape which has the best finishing tape ever included with it. Its basically the same finish as the main tape so you can hardly see it.

scotroutes

Lizard Skins DSP also has proper finishing tape.

End-to-middle, start clockwise on right, anti-clockwise on left.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#CreamFirst

steve_b77
    Free Member

Jam FIRST!!!

But on the tape front, bar end from inside out and figure 8 round the shifters

fasthaggis

Yeah,I also do that figure of 8 thing around the levers so that there’s no gaps .

kayak23

I’d start from the loose end of the roll, otherwise you have to unwrap the entire roll to get to the other end.

That’s just me though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d start from the loose end of the roll, otherwise you have to unwrap the entire roll to get to the other end.
    That’s just me though.

Where’s the fun in that, you can’t ensure perfect embossed logo alignment if you do that

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Poke the bar through the middle of the roll, keeps it neat while you wind it (only works on track bikes).

shermer75
    Free Member

Bar tape – which end to start from?

There is only one end, so start from there

molgrips
    Free Member

Does anyone not go around over the hoods?

I have not managed to eliminate all gaps when going around the hoods, there’s always a tiny triangle where the clamp band is visible. I thought that’s why they give you the extra little 5cm piece.

steve_b77
    Free Member

That piece should be cut to cover the lever band only, if you figure 8 it you get no gaps, look at GCN’s youtube vid on wrapping bar tape

jimdubleyou

There a nice video on you tube of a moustachiod fellow talking you through all the options 🙂

Found it – this guy…

https://youtu.be/5MzIiv7pewE

Pierre

Listen to Calvin. He knows.

Edit: jinx! etc. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use the short bit or cut a bit off the end for the back of the lever.

Not a fan of figure-8’ing it as it ends up bulkier.

other tip – You can buy the 3M doublesided glue/tape on ebay for a couple of quid for a mahoosive roll. A spiral in the opposite direction in addition to the pre-applied stuff holds it in place better (I’m a serial bar tape destroyer, I end up taping at least one of my bikes every month, either my hands are like sandpaper, I twist it off, crash, or it just gets squashed and polished smooth and loses it’s cushioning and grip).

krixmeister

Always from the bottom. And reverse wrap direction at the hoods. The above-linked Park Tool video from @jimdubleyou is my go-to video when I’m trying to remember direction of wrap.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have not managed to eliminate all gaps when going around the hoods, there’s always a tiny triangle where the clamp band is visible. I thought that’s why they give you the extra little 5cm piece.

That’s exactly what it’s for.

I used to work in a bike shop where one of the regular customers was nicknamed OCD Jim. One day I was tasked with fitting bar tape for him – most stressful bit of bike maintenance I’ve ever done.

fasthaggis

I have not managed to eliminate all gaps when going around the hoods, there’s always a tiny triangle where the clamp band is visible

roll with it

trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s exactly what it’s for.

it is …. but its not neccesary if wrapped well.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Does anyone not go around over the hoods?

Me. I stretch it as much as possible to close the traingle then carry on.

Every gram counts.

Last time I started on a cork off the end of the bars. I think it might have been an epicyclo tip.

Then you cut the tape Around the cork to give you a great finish.

molgrips
    Free Member

Glad to see the Park guy goes over the top of the hoods in the end. I like doing this, it lets me put the bars where I want but flatten out the dip between bar and hood. I also put a piece of gel pad under it.

Do people use gel pads? Or is that a whole new can of worms? 🙂 I like it because it makes the bars fatter.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do people use gel pads? Or is that a whole new can of worms? 🙂 I like it because it makes the bars fatter.

Offcuts of old bar tape.

philjunior
    Free Member

Those who stop the wrap at the bars, you’re monsters. I thought I could be light hearted about this, but seriously. Start at the end. Hope profusely that the tape supplied works well, if not chuck it out and use electrical tape (I’m not bothered about an exact finish, but something that will stick, plz)

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno why they give you a tiny snippet of branded/printed PVC tape. It’s just not enough, you need electrical tape as well. Or at least I do.

fasthaggis

It’s decoration for people that tape down from the stem 😉

Bez

Those who stop the wrap at the bars, you’re monsters.

I assume a typo? Not sure which other component you might stop the wrap at, unless you’re trying to mummify your bike 🙂

I dunno why they give you a tiny snippet of branded/printed PVC tape. It’s just not enough

Also I’ve never encountered a single one of those snippets that actually stays stuck.

philjunior
    Free Member

Those who stop the wrap at the bars, you’re monsters.

I assume a typo? Not sure which other component you might stop the wrap at, unless you’re trying to mummify your bike 🙂

Ah yes. I meant brake levers and now it’s too late to edit, oops!

Clearly I was very upset about it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Do people use gel pads?

Big squashy lumps of what looks like fat flopping around under the tape reducing my connection with bike and making my bars look hideous? No, no I don’t use those.

crazy-legs

Big squashy lumps of what looks like fat flopping around under the tape reducing my connection with bike and making my bars look hideous? No, no I don’t use those.

Good on the CX to help absorb the bumps. I consider them essential on the Three Peaks!

trail_rat
    Free Member

in defence of the silly bit of tape ….. lizard skins stuff does work – but id hope so for 30 quid bar tape…. its ooh so comfy though.

TiRed

Do people use gel pads?

No, I set my bars correctly. Too much weight means they are too low/far away.

And bottom to top, ACW left, CW right. Figure of 8 mirrored and then CW left ACW right past the hoods. And a nice wedge cut off at the end to make a clean finish. Practice.

I also reuse the tape when I swap bars or even bikes.

Bez

I use gel pads, not to make up for a flawed riding position but because they make the grip diameter compatible with big hands.

taxi25
    Free Member

I end up taping at least one of my bikes every month

Still got the original tape on my Canyon 5ys and 14,000 miles 😎

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Still got the original tape on my Canyon 5ys and 14,000 miles 😎

Clearly I have very rough and manly hands, for an office worker.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bar tape – which end to start from?’ is closed to new replies.