Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bangkok riots – lunchtime Beeb report on Tuesday
  • davetrave
    Free Member

Overtaken by the Ukraine riots later in the day and didn’t see the 6 or 10 o’clock news shows to see whether they were still showing the report, had edited the clip or weren’t showing it all but…

On the 1 o’clock edition they were carrying a report about the riots in Bangkok – clip showed a hand grendade coming out of the crowd, rolling up to rest against the shields of the police baseline, one of the coppers then realises what it is and goes to kick it away, just as his foot contacts it, the grenade explodes, footage shows his lower leg spiralling through the air and landing 10 feet away and him then writhing around on the floor with the bloody stump, spurting blood, clearly visible

Hmm, oversight in editing on daytime news, during half term…?

Won’t somebody please think of the children!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Won’t somebody please think of the children!
    Yep that is the most worrying part, nothing to do with the poor copper who just got his leg blown off.

D28boy
    Free Member

or for those of us who have booked a holiday which starts there in the near future !

franksinatra

footage shows his lower leg spiralling through the air and landing 10 feet away and him then writhing around on the floor with the bloody stump, spurting blood

I know it is grossly inappropriate but that description just makes me think of this

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve just got back from Bangkok. Obviously you don’t want to wander into the middle of a riot but at other times the protestors were very friendly. One of the occupied areas was open to visitors during the day. The sandbags will make UK visitors feel at home.

davetrave
    Free Member

Yep that is the most worrying part, nothing to do with the poor copper who just got his leg blown off.

Yes, you’re quite right, although you’ve somewhat missed my point, covered by the preceding comment

– that the editors thought it acceptable to show somebody suffering such a catastrophic injury, the “think of the children” comment was the typical STW tongue-in-cheek after-thought, purely linked to the timing… However, please excuse my blase attitude towards it – unfortunately that, and worse, is something I’ve seen all too much of so am rather aneasthetised to the whole limbs being blown off thing.

kcal

I think by my understanding the Kiev protests were initially ‘benign’ and well-intentioned. Not now, and suspect the same is happening definitely in Bangkok..

retro83
    Free Member

Apparently he did not lose the leg:

source is this comment on reddit
    http://www.reddit.com/r/MorbidReality/comments/1y8tec/in_bangkok_today_a_policeman_tried_to_kick_away_a/cfijgu7

perhaps it was just a shoe or something you saw on the vid.

Apparently it’s in the Koh San Road area and approx 15 dead at this point 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bangkok riots – lunchtime Beeb report on Tuesday’ is closed to new replies.