Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Ban the 'selfie stick'
  • globalti
    Free Member

Even more egotistical than a selfie stick… skiing in France we saw a bloke with a GoPro on some kind of rotating selfie stick on his head so that the goPro span round and took pictures of him from all kinds of angles.

Here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rhinocg/rhino-gopro-accessories-360-swivel-and-poles-for-g

cynic-al
    Free Member

All you guys so need to…

funkhouser
    Free Member

ive never witnessed one in use. maybe need to get out more…

Cougar

What perplexes me is why this is suddenly a new thing. They’ve been around for ever, only they were called monopods.

scotroutes

I blame that Albrecht Dürer

Flaperon

I consider myself a restrained and quiet person, but I am beginning to feel that it’s perfectly reasonable to beat someone to death with their own GoPro-on-a-selfie-stick.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Some people up there are real killjoys who don’t get the purpose of a lighthearted thread… I’m not sure anyone really spends much time caring about frivolities such as being discussed, it’s just banter dorks! 😉

Now, back to figuring which corporal punishments are worthy of people who use these vile objects. I do like “beat to death with their own gopro on a stick”

wrightyson
    Free Member

Had one for the go pro for ages. Just adds another shot. Plus my mrs is shit at photography, to the point I’m better taking a random guess as to where we are in the shot and doing it myself!

CountZero

Presumably you can get them for compacts (so, with a tripod mount), rather than just something to clamp a phone into??
    Wouldn’t it be easier to stick the camera on a tripod and use the timer function?
    Or am I being too simplistic?

There are many public places that ban the use of tripods.

What perplexes me is why this is suddenly a new thing. They’ve been around for ever, only they were called monopods.

Not the same thing, Cougar; a monopod is just a telescopic pole to mount a camera on to aid stability while taking photos, where a tripod may be impractical/banned.
    You couldn’t mount a phone on a monopod and take selfies, not without some sort of mounting on the top.
    A monopod doesn’t have a facility for triggering the shutter, a selfie stick/pole does.

flyingmonkeycorps

Why do people get so wound up about things that don’t affect them?

I have a selfie stick, I took it on our last holiday and combined with my wee pretend GoPro I mate a video. It’s only a couple of minutes long and you know what? We actually enjoy watching it every now and then, reminds us of a happy time.

jet26
    Free Member

Globalti where you in morzine?

Just a hunch…

Houns

Feel sorry for those with such short arms

hels
    Free Member

As always, Charlie Brooker has it spot on:

“Last year brought widespread acceptance of the “selfie stick” – a stick you clamp your smartphone into so you can take a narcissistic self-portrait at a slightly greater distance than your feeble human arms will allow. What’s odd about the selfie stick is that while it might faintly improve the photo you’ll post on Facebook, it definitely makes you seem like a shallow, awful clown to any bystanders in the humdrum physical space you’re posing in. And it’s unnecessary anyway, because if you’re the sort of person who takes so many self-portraits you’ll consider spending money on a selfie stick, it’s a cast-iron certainty that absolutely no one needs or wants to see another photograph of you ever again. Until the invention of the Selfpreciator, that is. The Selfpreciator is a quasi-sentient head-shaped device with one giant eye and a fixed grin, programmed to gaze approvingly at every self-portrait you upload while issuing appreciative murmurs and tweeting encouraging emojis your way. It’s even got its own selfie stick, so it can take photographs of itself admiring photographs of you, then email them to you, so you can ignore them while adjusting your selfie stick.”

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/05/selfie-stick-really-useful-inventions-ces-charlie-brooker

nealglover
    Free Member

Bimbler – Member
    Apparently a 90 year old “invention”

Is he not just pressing the button with a broom handle because there was no timer on his camera ?

GrahamS

joshvegas
    Free Member

I got everyone in my family a selfie stick.

Handy for when you have a 6month old son/grandson/nephew strapped to your chest!

ell_tell
    Free Member

Serious question, but how does a selfish stick actually take a photo on a camera phone? On my phone you have to touch the screen….

nealglover
    Free Member

Bluetooth

CraigW
    Free Member

Serious question, but how does a selfish stick actually take a photo on a camera phone? On my phone you have to touch the screen….

Some of them have a Bluetooth trigger built in, so you pair that to the phone, then press the button to take a photo. Others have a trigger with a cable, which plugs into the headphone socket.
    Some don’t have any trigger, so you have to use the self-timer.
    Or you could use a voice activated shutter, so it takes a photo when you shout at it…

benji
    Free Member

I’ve never seen one, only heard of them about a week before christmas, I’m happy not to put them into room 101 or give a hedgehogs nostril about them. As for pictures of posing and pouting on facebook, surely that’s like winning scrump lotto whilst having a casual look around facebook 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

So it’s still ok to ask a stranger to take the photo for you?

Only if they aren’t underweight. And only if they have two legs.

jamj1974

Don’t be such a bunch of saddos.

You do realise which forum you’ve posted this on don’t you?

ell_tell
    Free Member

Ahh I see. Guess I’m no longer down with the kids when it comes to tech & gadgets anymore 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

I disagree. If it were not for these items, we would be raising a whole generation of teenage girls who were shit at impersonating ducks.

DrJ

Sound of point being missed. The idea of the selfie stick is to take pictures that include not just you but also someone with you plus the background. If it was just a case of narcissism you could use the two nature-supplied selfie sticks you already have.

geologist
    Free Member

I had a towny weekend in London over Xmas. Every European and their dog had one on the south bank. I got walloped by one and the missus took a few hits too 🙁 im up for the ban!

kayak23

ebennett

I find pics that I’m not in a bit boring so I can understand why you’d get one. On the other hand it encourages duckface and you look like a complete twonk using it so I’d never get one myself!

GrahamS

Give it a decade until everyone is using autonomous selfie drones and then you’ll wonder why you were so bothered about a stick.

D0NK

+1 if you need a stick, mirror, front facing cam or any other gubbins to take a pic of yourself (and maybe 1 or two other people) then hand in your camera image collection device

Northwind

legend – Member

So it’s still ok to ask a stranger to take the photo for you?

Yup but there’s a good chance you’ll get some total fanny who can’t work a modern camera, like me. “And then I touch the screen to take the picture? What wytchcrafte be thys?”

rOcKeTdOg

arrogant photo

A what now?

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Ban the 'selfie stick'’ is closed to new replies.