Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wales holiday?
  • steveoath
    Free Member

hi folks. MrsOath, JnrOath and I are thinking about a holiday in Wales this summer. Any recommendations? Looking for location where we could have access to some hillwalking, gentle biking (mrsoath not really a fan and Jnr will be in rear seat) and bit of beach. If anyone familiar could point us in the right direction it’d be appreciated. Cheers.

anagallis_arvensis

One of the coastal bits. Pembrokshire seems an obvious choice.

geoffj

Depends on how hilly the hill walking needs to be. Lovely beaches in the north, south and west. Decent hills in the east and north.
    Anglesey / Snowdonia / llyn peninsula might be the best option.

project
    Free Member

Barmouth, Abersoch, Caernarfon, North wales coast.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The Gower is lovely, I love taking trips down there – Sun or Rain it’s always a beutiful place to be.

I’m off to Bluestone in Pembrokeshire in June, magic for families, not sure I’d enjoy as much if I didn’t have kids though ha ha.

djglover
    Free Member

We’ve had 2 great hols on the Llyn and on Anglesey

Rhoscolyn – Our kids were 4 at the time, great beaches for rock-pooling good pub food, cold though and we had the fire and burner on every night in June. Great walking around the costal path. Loads of other diversions for little ones in the area. Greenwood forest park, Aquarium, Castles etc

Morfa Nefyn – Superb beaches again, local pub food not so much, and we spent a bit of time commuting to the attractions.

rascal
    Free Member

Snowdonia.
    Stayed in Tremadog 3 years ago.

http://www.secretgardencottages.co.uk/

Lots of day trips form there.
    Great place.

ourmaninthenorth

Aberdovey – has beach, and is just near Machynlleth for biking.

Though IWY I’d head straight for Pembrokeshire or the south part of Ceredigion.

cloudnine
    Free Member

http://www.powells.co.uk/property/wales/the-boathouse/W9017
    This is right on the beach but pretty steep hill out of the village.. great cheeky riding on the coastpath.

The lifeboat house in Aberdovey is awesome..
    http://www.theoldlifeboathouse.co.uk/
    (climach X is about 20min drive and Nant yr arian 40min)

rwamartin
    Free Member

What sort of accommodation are you looking for? Camping, B+B, hotel?
    I’m in Pembrokeshire so happy to give any guidance I can.
    Rich.

MoreCashThanDash

Cynfal Farm cottages near Twywn. Decent beach, ice cream factory, old fashioned cinema, Aberdovey nearby, Muck’n’fluff and the Centre for Alternative Energy (great for kids), Snowdonia and trail centres within fairly easy reach.

And the farm has it’s own halt on the Tallyllyn steam railway, which inspired the mountain railway in the Thomas books.

kerv
    Free Member

Another one for Barmouth, lovely beaches, gentle bike rides along the Mawdach trail, coed y Brenin just up the road, hill walking behind barmouth or Cader Idris across the estuary.

rumple
    Free Member

if you’re one for camping then i’d recommend parrog, newport. search in google and be impressed, i love the place!!

fasthaggis

As P-Jay said

The Gower is ace ,had some great holidays with the kids round there.

DaveRambo

We’ve been going to Pembrokeshire (near Newport) for many years at Easter.

Lots of nice walking on the coastal path plus some nice hills.

Pubs are nice, biking good. Plenty to do with kids.

leftyboy
    Free Member

@TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR Is that 3 cliffs bay on the Gower?

Spud

Been said already but between Aberdovery and Barmouth would be, and usually is, our choice. Great beaches, biking and walking. Have a look at http://www.graigwen.co.uk, lovely place to stay. Mawddach Trail runs past it (alebit downhill a bit). Anywhere around there would have all you need. Fairly central for Snowdonia.

weeksy

the MiL lives in St Davids… it’s nice enough… but pretty dull and there’s a lot less riding than you’d expect for places that are so green. Also, the terrain even for generic bridleways is often quite wet and overgrown it has seemed to me… It’s not great for having a bike.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wales holiday?’ is closed to new replies.