Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Baldies. Protection from sun?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone actively look to protect their bald bonce and if so with what? Usually wear sun block if out riding helmet less on hot sunny days but maybe I should be doing more on a daily basis. Or as our scalps are always exposed to the elements and therefore usually have a decent base tan are we less at risk?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Base ‘tan’ is damaged skin, not protection. I keep my hair short – no.1 on clippers, and wear high factor cream if there is a sniff of sunshine.

Jamie
    Free Member

If we are talking while cycling, I usually have a buff on my noggin, under the helmet.

1. Keeps sweat out of my eyes.

2. Keeps sun off.

3. Makes my helmet a bit more comfy.

chris_db
    Free Member

Bald as a coot me. I always use either a hat, buff or similar during the middle of the day, a fair bit of slap too. Factor 30 ish. As soon as the angle of exposure drops I’m there soaking it up.

As for riding, always, always wear a helmet so couldn’t comment.

C

molgrips
    Free Member

Hat here. I don’t seem to get burned wearing a helmet, but then I don’t burn easily.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No buff here due to an allergic reaction to the **** in the video in all the shops, I just want to cave his skull in to make him shut up.

Bandana type thing/knotted hankie over the head under the lid for bright days. Currently living in a very high UV area and it works the best. Sun screen runs into my eyes far too fast.

TiRed

Off bike: Tilley LT6B hat
    On Bike: white assos skull cap

Balding, red haired, fair skin and a history of skin cancer. I don’t do sunburn!

sweepy
    Free Member

No buff here due to an allergic reaction to the **** in the video in all the shops, I just want to cave his skull in to make him shut up.

You should do it, no one would blame you.

If its really scorchio I’ll wear a straw hat to keep the sun out of my eyes, and a buff on the bike for sweat. My scalps like my hands, sees too much daylight to burn.

CountZero

Hat, always. Usually 6-panel duckbill cloth cap, Tilley, or Panama if really hot and sunny.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Not a baldie but no. 2 every week or so and I live in Phuket.

I use a higher spf on my head than rest of me as, you’re right, it gets more exposure.

spf 20 on my body, 40 on my head and nose. Make sure it’s sweatproof!

wingnuts

Smooth with a super shine here! I always wear a helmet liner to keep me warm or make the helmet more comfortable in summer. The lightweight one is made of mesh by Mavic. In winter its a Biemme windstopper one. Both thin and shaper so the fit is really good under the helmet.

In public I wear a beanie if cold and a straw pork pie in the sun. I’ve got a couple of nice felt trilbies but am cautious about wearing them as never sure what to do with it when I get to the pub/meeting/etc.

Use sunscreen a lot more these days as I feel that I get burnt or hot more as I get older. Don’t like the oily feel though and feel that the sealed effect makes me sweat more!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I started using a buff last summer under the helmet and it works a treat. Keeping the head cool even though I had a helmet on. Otherwise I tend to wear either a SPF50 cap or a Tilley hat. Burnt my head too many times previously and eventually learnt to cover up.

badnewz
    Free Member

Buffs are great, I couldn’t wear a helmet without one these days.
    If I’m out and about in the sun on my townbike, just a light cap with good ventilation.

househusband

Riemann P20; it’s a clear gel that dries and doesn’t leave any residue – ideal if you have buzz-cut hair like me!

http://www.p20.co.uk/p20-products/

binners

When needing sun protection whilst out riding, its best to defer to the superiorexperience of people who know about such things…..

Has to be an elaborate Sombrero I’m afraid chaps. It also affords you an air of sophisticated mystery in the bar of the gentlemen’s club for post-ride brandy and cigars

If one is requiring a tad more protection. Maybe venturing further from the towpath, where one might encounter low hanging coconuts, or where the natives have been known to be unfriendly – Rochdale for example – then one can opt for the pith helmet…

Also welcomed in in the bar of the gentlemen’s club for post-ride brandy and cigars

Jamie
    Free Member

Riemann P20; it’s a clear gel that dries and doesn’t leave any residue – ideal if you have buzz-cut hair like me!

Looks like the cheapest is £16 from Amazon. Assume it lasts a while?

jp-t853

P20 plus a hat here. The p20 is great if you still have some hair as it rubs in easily

househusband

Looks like the cheapest is £16 from Amazon. Assume it lasts a while?

Yup – put it on in the morning before you go out in the sun and it’ll be good for the day.

NJA

Boots do a Soltan Spray for scalp and thinning hair – that works for me. I still get a helmet line tan though so I might try the buff this year.

IanW
    Free Member

Buff or Cap, sometime use sunscreen but find it irritates my eyes.

You should never wear a helmet in the sun.

bruneep

Live in Aberdeen then it’s not an issue.

thehustler
    Free Member

Cant believe no one has suggested knotted hankie yet

rene59
    Free Member

A wet buff under a helmet on a hot sunny day is bliss. Like a fridge for your head.

CheesybeanZ

looks like another factor 50 day 8)

Klunk
    Free Member

usually buff pirate on days like this.

MSP

Giro peleton cap, nicer than a buff, worn under a helmet too to make it more comfortable.

chewkw
    Free Member

I wear a hat.

🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I have a Turkish head shave every two weeks, so completely bald..
    Just wear a cap under my helmet while riding, and just slap on some sun cream at all other times.

Born in a hot climate, so tend not to get to badly affected by the height/ sun etc..

Bimbler
    Free Member

stumpy01

+1 for Boots Soltan head & hair (or something like that anyway).
    I am following after my Dad with a constantly growing bald spot (nice one, Dad!) and have used this Soltan stuff when on holiday for the last few years.
    Works pretty well, I’ve found.

crankboy
    Free Member

Hat or bandana plus suncream in foreign climes is outside Yorkshire.

binners

zippykona

This is where evolution falls down.
    Hair offers protection from bumps,keeps you warm in winter and protects from the sun.
    There is no way that nature would let us lose it.
    It must be down to a vengeful god.
    Bastard.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Same as many, zero with clippers and a high factor suncream. During the peak of the day if I’m out and about I throw on a Boonie (pretty cheap on ebay)

binners

zippykona – its actually anti-evolutionary.

God, to ensure a better chance of continuing the species, deliberately disadvantages the better looking blokes after a certain timespan. This, in theory, gives the other genetically less desirable specimens at least a look in.

More discerning women are instinctively aware of this though, and still gravitate to the more desirable (if follically challenged) end of the gene pool

Thats my story and I’m sticking with it!!! 😀

edhornby

Prendas do 3 caps for a tenner, these are brilliant for wicking and protection, and good for winter keeping the rain out of the eyes – and you look pro with one when on the bike

note: wearing one of these when not on a bike makes you look like a bit of a spanner

teasel
    Free Member

I use UV Buffs on every ride, winter or summer.

Still don’t see how a it works but seems to be doing the job, though I guess skin damage can take years to show.

Bloomin’ beautiful day out there…

8)

Suggsey
    Free Member

You lot just made me feel guilty! I’m of baldee pate and don’t generally wear anything on my head except helmet when riding. I invariably have tan all year round as a consequence and it’s so rare that I ever burn on my hands arms and head that I don’t bother with sunscreen unless it’s the height of midday on a summers day and I know I will be out in it for hours. I have a halo cap that I sometimes wear in winter under my helmet to divert sweat from my eyes/ glasses but suffer from boiling head in decent coverage MTB helmets.
    Guess a silk cap may be the summer answer or a buff.

teasel
    Free Member

There’s a Buff for everyone – have a gander…

🙂

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

A High factor sun cream – I have found ASDA’s own to be the least messy and seems to give a better protection, as I burn easy. Else a buff doubled up at a hat. On same theme, in winter, I do the same with the buff under a helmet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Baldies. Protection from sun?’ is closed to new replies.