Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Baby carriers – Macpac vs Deuter vs .. ?
  • bob_summers

Now the weean’s old enough I’ve been looking at these – seems like the Macpac Possum is highly thought of. Though it doesn’t seem to have ‘legs’ like the Kid Comfort (appreciate these aren’t the safest, but maybe with a strap&carabiner around something solid?). Any others I should consider? Probably looking 2nd hand, and will be used 90% for schlepping around the shops with (hopefully) some weekend trips out.

richpips
    Free Member

We used the Deuter. I liked the freestanding aspect.

Iirc the Macpac is quite heavy before you put a child in.

jam-bo

Our macpac is probably the single most used item from about 9 months on. Bought s/h and is in much the same condition as when we bought it, junior is getting a bit heavy for it now though.

Garry_Lager

The function to stand it up on the ground is pretty important IMO – makes a big difference when loading in the (potentially recalcitrant) cargo.

Not sure what you mean by ‘safe’ – it’s not like you’d leave the bairn sitting in the carrier free-standing on the deck. It’s just something to form a stable loading arrangement prior to hoisting it on your shoulders.

bob_summers

You don’t leave him propped outside the pub while you get a pint?!
    Seriously though, thought it might come in handy if he’s asleep in it when I get home. Can leave him in there unitl he wakes up.

According to the manufacturer’s numbers, the Deuter is a kilo or so lighter than the Macpac. And it’s easier to find s/h here, I’ve never seen Macpac anything so maybe not imported to Spain, but might still be worth the effort of tracking one down.

richpips
    Free Member

Seriously though, thought it might come in handy if he’s asleep in it when I get home. Can leave him in there unitl he wakes up.

You’ll find once they are tall enough to stretch their legs and touch the floor the above won’t be a good idea. 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Osprey Packs does one. I know nothing about baby carriers, but generally when Osprey makes something, they do a pretty good job of it. Bush Baby is apparently worth a look too.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Jam bo, let me know when it needs retiring and I’ll take it off your hands. Email in profile.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Our Deuter (Kid Comfort 2) is much better designed and constructed than friends Macpac carriers. Got it for 90 pounds at Go Outdoors a couple of years back.

user-removed
    Free Member

Littlelife is the way forward. Tried out a few in the shops and from the kid’s point of view it seemsto be very comfortable. From the carrier’s point of view it’s equally comfy. Like a top end rucksack. Infinitely adjustable. Stands up by itself, anchor point for sticking for sticking your foot into whilst you lift the small person out.

Also comes with an optional extra rain cover which has proved invaluable. Our one year old is still quite close to the top end of adjustment so I reckon he’ll be in it until he’s two.

crankboy
    Free Member

Littlelife for us as described by user_removed. Still used at 30 months . The comfort and adjustment are what sold it to me. The boot anchor point for loading is great ( hole in back panel you put your foot in thus pinning the carrier to the ground while inserting your offspring in the top) I would not leave our boy propped up in any device, he is too prone to twisting and throwing himself.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have to opportunity to get a Phil & Teds one for very cheap/price of a few pints. Anybody have any experience of these?

We’ve been using a Stokke in the “on-back” position for a while and it’s fine but I can feel it’s going to be hard work in the next six months or so. Can’t imagine carrying him in it beyond 18 months, despite Stokke saying it’s suitable up to 3 years IIRC.

sandwicheater

+1 for Deuter, friend gave us it after it had gone through there two kids.

Still in ace condition and we have used it almost every day.

Unsure on prices or other brands but been pleased with it. Assumed the self standing thing at the back was on all these things. Really handy.

stevestunts
    Free Member

We have a Macpac and it’s been pretty good, but regardless of which brand you go for, my advice would be to make sure you get one that fits the person who’s going to be doing most of the portage.

We went for a compromise between fitting both of us (mum = stumpy / dad = beanpole). I have inevitably ended up being the sherpa on most trips out, and wearing it with the increasingly-heavy cargo attached makes my hips feel like they’re going to explode.

I wish we’d recognised from the outset that I’d do the carrying, and just bought one that fits me.

spudly1979
    Free Member

+1 for little life backpack. Really comfy for both you and your child.

You can pick them up in good condition on eBay for not much money too.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’ve almost stopped using our ErgoBaby. He’s 3 in January. His sister’s just turned 6. We’ve used it every day. It’s even seen trail centre use.

russianbob
    Free Member

I have a Kid Comfort 3 that we no longer use. It is definitely used though but still does what it needs to do. Whereabouts are you based? You could have it for £50 or make me a reasonable offer having seen it.

kimbers

+1 for little life

if you can get one with a small compartment for nappies, food etc

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’d look for tow things, one the kid is comfortable in and the one with the lowest back profile, especially if most of your time is going to be spent going shopping. The smaller the turning circle the better!

For me that meant the Little life traveler which now seems to be called the Cross country S2

AlexSimon

We had a Macpac and an Ergo.
    Only used the macpac a handful of times. The extra weight and clumsiness is just pointless for most things.

The Ergo keeps the child locked close to your body so feels about half the weight (like giving a piggyback). When they are asleep, you can just sit down with them still on your back, or sit and bend backwards to lay them down on something gently without them waking.

Loved ours – we were very sad when we gave it up (when youngest got to 4yo).

gray

We have an Osprey one. Tried all of the main contenders in a shop, Osprey seemed nicest. Have used it loads, and it’s great. Ours has been in for two hour stretches a number of times with no problems.

bob_summers

russianbob – Member
    I have a Kid Comfort 3 that we no longer use. It is definitely used though but still does what it needs to do. Whereabouts are you based? You could have it for £50 or make me a reasonable offer having seen it.

I’m in Spain so the postage would be too expensive. Thanks though!

Re. the ergo, wondering if that’d be the way to go. I’m already using a sling which was great until he got to 8kg and it doesn’t spread the weight enough. Rain cover would be essential though, rains a lot here 🙁

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Baby carriers – Macpac vs Deuter vs .. ?’ is closed to new replies.