Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • B+ wheels – 35 to 45mm rims – experiences?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve got a new b+ frame on the way from China which means that within reason, I can now fit pretty much any size of rim /tyre without clearance issues.

My 29er took a 25mm 650b rim at the back and 35mm one at the front which definitely worked well as b+ but without the width restriction, I’m planning on at least 35mm rims front and back (probably wtb asym i35), potentially up to 45mm.

I’m not going to fork out for carbon and given my experience and generally being happy with what I had, I’m wondering if going from 35mm to 45mm will really make much difference other than add weight and cost (100+g,£40ish per wheel).

Anyone switched between 35 and 45mm and care to share their experiences?

(all sizes referring to internal measurements)

pigyn
    Free Member

From what I have been riding going less than 40mm might be a bit narrow, if you are using full 3″ tyres. I have been using chronicles first on Orbeas own 45 internal wheelset and now American Classic Smoking Gun with 40. They are lovely wheels by the way.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve had a 3.0 purgatory on a 25mm which worked ok.. Can’t say that I noticed a massive difference changing that to the 35mm rim hence the question..

(I already have the hubs and one asym i35 rim so won’t be buying complete wheels)

psycorp
    Free Member

Not what you asked but I’ve got 3.0″ Bridgers running on Supra35 (30mm internal) rims and they feel great. Don’t feel the need to go wider. Most rims from 28mm upwards are rated up to 3.0″ tyres by the manufacturers from what I’ve seen.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, and that’s kind of where I’m at. Does going up from 35 have a real world benefit?

Northwind

I went with 35 (WTB Asyms) eventually, mostly because I think I’m pretty marginal on frame clearance. Also because it’s cheaper and probably easier to sell if it doesn’t work 😆 But no practical experience of it yet. Wider makes more sense, to me, it’s all about volume after all but the compromises on a trailbike are different to say a fatbike, especially one not designed for 3.0s…

nemesis
    Free Member

Bump for the daytime crowd

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘B+ wheels – 35 to 45mm rims – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.