Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Aviva Home Insurance – To Good To Be True ??????
  • Rik
    Free Member

Home insurance – building and contents inc. bikes in a locked garage

£120,000 worth of cover – not upper limit on amount in the garage or house for bikes. So i could have any amount or any number of expensive bike in the garage and they are insured for no extra charge?

Only if you require ‘away from home cover’ you pay more.

Any experience of this?

njee20
    Free Member

Where are you looking?

I see £2500 limit on out buildings cover. Bikes covered as per your limits, and there’s a single item limit of £2k. So they appear to be covered for up to £2k each in the house, or £2500 cumulatively in the garage.

Not great.

Fueled
    Free Member

Any single item limit? Lots of places need you to declare things worth more than £1k or exclude bikes or that kind of thing.

Rik
    Free Member

http://www.aviva.co.uk/static/library/pdfs/home/NHDHG6080.pdf

States:

That you ‘home’ is your house and all outbuildings

And doesn’t say you have to specify bikes unless you are adding it as an extra personal belongings under the ‘away from home’ cover.

I can’t find a fault, and the nice lady on the live help chat confirmed it. Need to ring on Monday as helpline closed now.

njee20
    Free Member

On my phone, so skim read the policy docs, but their Summary of benefits is totally at odds with that…

Rik
    Free Member

Don’t get what you are ready Njee20

Cycles are covered under our standard contents policy within your shed, garage or home (but not your garden).

If you wish to cover your pedal cycle(s) away from home, we offer a pedal cycles option which covers each of your family’s cycles up to your chosen limit (between £300 and £2,500). Cycles are covered while anywhere in the world.

allthepies
    Free Member

The crux seems to be, does the total garage contents amount (£2000) apply to cycles within a garage or does the cycle cover override that.

Rik
    Free Member

Bugger….didn’t see that bit.

allthepies
    Free Member

You and me both. I took out Aviva cover this yr!

Suggsey
    Free Member

And you have to be mad not to have away from home cover too even if your bike is left locked in the back of a van!

rickon
    Free Member

Seeing as I work for Aviva I should chip in a bit 😉 (even if I’m a Solution Designer, not Underwriter)

“Garage cover:

Our contents insurance provides cover of up to £2,500 for the contents of your garage or any outbuildings on your property.”

Cycles appear covered as standard – but I would not expect them to cover the amount you’d be looking for. I would look to cover them as single named items – you’d need to give an Underwriter at Aviva a ring for a chat.

The key thing in buying cover for your house, that also covers your bikes is reading the detail of the policy, and then speaking to someone to make 100% certain you’re covered.

Rik
    Free Member

Looks like £130 full aviva cover is too good to be true.

Shame looks like Direct Line Select at £529 might be a better option with full cover at home in the garage and away from home too.

rickon
    Free Member

Looks like £130 full aviva cover is too good to be true.

Before ruling it out, give them a quick ring to check. It’s a UK call centre and the chaps who work there are very nice indeed.

jackal
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve been with aviva for last 2 year, my bikes are covered in house/garage and away from home, only up to 2.5k tho iirc. My premium is around £400 per year. Was with m&s before but it just got too expensive.

njee20
    Free Member

Seems very clear on their policy summary that I linked to – covered for up to £2k each as standard in the home only, or £2.5k cumulatively in the garage. If this is inadequate you’ll have to add them as named items.

rickon
    Free Member

As above.

Although if your renewal didn’t change the policy wording, then you’re covered for what the conditions were at the time of the original policy term – so Jackal could be covered for what he says.

🙂

Bregante

I’m with aviva and had to add each of my bikes as named items, complete with frame numbers. I can’t remember off the top of my head what the extra premium is but don’t think it was extortionate.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

We are with aviva and were told that our cover is for each bike up to £2500 in our home and garage and away from home (including abroad) if they are in a shed or garage or if they are locked to an Immoveable object. If the bikes are stolen from the van they are only insured for £1000 in total

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Aviva Home Insurance – To Good To Be True ??????’ is closed to new replies.