Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Avid brakes & ditching the cup & cone stuff, help please.
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Got a set been wanting to fit for ages.

BUT.

I dont like the look of the cup & cone bits no other brakes seem to need it so I ditched all the bits in favour of direct mounting to the adaptor.

So far so good.

Finally got around to offering them up on the bike, had the correct adaptors, or so I thought, but whatever I do I seem to be 5mm out, like I need a 170 & a 190 disc…. disc sizes that a) dont exist easily, b) if they did I still dont want that expense, I have lovley Hope floating rotors & no intention of changing.

Anyone done what I am attempting?

I dont mind buying new cup & cone bits, OR I guess I can use washers & space them out, but its a bit rubbish.

br
    Free Member

OR I guess I can use washers & space them out,

🙄

scaled
    Free Member

Avid calipers need the CPS washers – it’s actually a really good system

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Not done it, but thought about it. Remember that the Avid brakes were designed in the first place to use the washers, space has been allowed for them in the shape of the caliper. You’ll need something the thickness of the spherical washers that normally sit between the caliper and the mount to replace them in order to get them to sit where they would have done before, the spherical washers outside the caliper (under the head of the bolt) can just be removed with no problems. Alternatively you’ll need to make custom adapters. Basically what you’ve done is taken about 5mm thickness of washers out so you’ve moved the caliper in by 5mm and now need a 10mm smaller disc.

Underhill
    Free Member

It’s almost like they were in the box for a reason…

tinsy
    Free Member

I thought I could go up an adaptor size to get rid of them you see, use a 180 adaptor on a 160 disc, remove all the cone stuff….

BR. I did also say it would be a bit rubbish. However its only like shimming the adaptor same as normal for IS – IS calipers just in a different plane.

These are not in stock, but the black spacers look like they might be what I need..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=108156

zilog6128

it’s actually a really good system

it’s ingenious, but completely unnecessary faff most of the time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

at best its a poor bodge. best off without them

all it does is encourage poor fitting by gibbons – but you do need to take up the space (or fit shimano brakes – they may not have spares but at least they work from new)

tinsy
    Free Member

My theory is similar it only gives yet another way of getting them set wrong in angle as well.

The calipers are cast/forged but then machined, the machining should be bob on, the hub, disc etc is also machined, can really be anything but square…

No one else uses the cup n cone stuff.

I will pack em out measure the packing required and get some proper spacers made that size.

I was kinda hoping someone could say not its not 5mm spacers you need its 7mm & I made extra spacers up when i did it, that kinda thing..

bigyinn
    Free Member

IMHO the cup and cone washers just mean there’s more ways to get your caliper aligned wrongly.
    BUT if you’re doing away with them you need to fill the gap otherwise, as you’ve found, the caliper is too close to the disc.

dmorts

Where you’ve gone wrong is throwing out the cup and cone bits……… you should have thrown the rest of the brakes out too.

tinsy
    Free Member

They do seem to get rather bad reports on here.

I didnt pay much for em, considering they were the top end ones of the day, juicy ultimate carbons or something.

They have quite a lot to live up to the million year old deores on the bike have been faultess.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I bought some 2nd hand elixirs for a cheap fix. no bolts were supplied but they have worked ok without the gubbins.
    The front is a 180b P.M with no adapter. the rear is I.S and possibly has the adapter the wrong way round but they’re on and work and seem fine… 😳
    So does the arrow on avid adapters face up with disk direction or down?
    They havnt killed me yet…

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Not sure why you want to ditch the hardware for a bodge job?

Its a good system because it covers all the bases. Manufacturers work within a tolerance range and things (frames/calipers/pads/discs/brackets/hubs etc) are always a little out; the idea of the Trialign system means you can set your brake perfectly aligned and bias no matter what.

Set up is a doddle, hold the brake, tighten a bit, check and then torque.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Set up is a doddle, hold the brake, tighten a bit, check and then torque.”

exactly why it is a bad system- what it does allow for is avids crap piston bias , they never move evenly due to bad design

The disk should be central to the caliper – not the pads.

if the pads are not also central to the caliper and moving togetehre then something is wrong.

IHN

Not sure why you want to ditch the hardware for a bodge job?

Its a good system because it covers all the bases. Manufacturers work within a tolerance range and things (frames/calipers/pads/discs/brackets/hubs etc) are always a little out; the idea of the Trialign system means you can set your brake perfectly aligned and bias no matter what.

Set up is a doddle, hold the brake, tighten a bit, check and then torque.

This.

tinsy
    Free Member

nosemineb so they just fitted without the gubbins no spacers or anything? just up 1 size on adaptor?

nosemineb
    Free Member

yes mate. Ill take some photos later and post them here. Ive got an adapter in the rear from Is to pm and i think its 20mm. My gut feeling is that its upside down but it works fine.

tinsy
    Free Member

I tried turning the adaptors the other way up, it always looked 5mm or so out, not 10mm of a different disc size, but something inbetween.

honourablegeorge

From my spares box just now – this is an Avid 185 adapter (black) beside a Hope 183 adapter (Silver)

Suspect Hope will sort your problems if you really want to ditch the washers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Avid brakes & ditching the cup & cone stuff, help please.’ is closed to new replies.