Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AVG antivirus removal….HELP!!!
  • Flapjack
    Free Member

Firstly, excuse my laughably inadequate knowledge of computers and descriptions of computer issues!!………..

My PC (Vista 32 bit)for some reason threw a bit of a wobbly a couple of weeks ago, which to the most part I have now addressed by restoring it to an earlier date, but in doing so it would appear that my anti-virus (AVG free) is now causing some issues and is stopping any files being downloaded from the web (Itunes/other antivirus etc)- this is apparently something to do with having AVG 9 on the system but regressing it to when it had AVG 8 installed (or so I have found mentioned on forums).
    I have tried to uninstall AVG but it won’t let me, so I went into the C drive program files and removed all AVG files with the exception of two which it will not allow me to delete (I get an error message stating I ‘need permission to perform this action’ – even though I am logged on as an administrator).
    As I cannot download any removal software until I have removed them, can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove these two rogue files?

Many thanks & apologies once again! 😆
    FJ

kimbers

if you restart it hold down F8 and select safemode with networking

that might help

try and remove it then?

if you can, try and download malwarebytes, update it and run a full scan see if it finds anything

i prefer microsoft security essentials over avg these days

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Download the AVG removal tool from AVG, it used to be pretty decent but I can’t stand it now, lots of problems uninstalling and rubbish like AVG ‘Safe’ Search which as far as I can tell mainly provides a long list of often malicious sponsored Google search results, and again is a pain to get rid of.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes, it’s now shit. It used to be good, but is now more bloated than those birds on Fat for Cash on ch 5 earlier.

Flapjack
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice chaps.
    Amazingly after posting the above, I’ve been messing about with it & just managed to somehow delete these files through sheer perseverance which has allowed me to download the removal tool and clean it all up! So sorted!

Thanks

yorlin
    Free Member

Also get CC Cleaner – it will take a fair while to run the first time but will remove LOADS of crappy cookies and temp files that have been slowing down you PC – I found things noticably faster after running it the first time.

piemonster

Yes, it’s now shit. It used to be good, but is now more bloated than those birds on Fat for Cash on ch 5 earlier.

Logs on to 5 on demand

Flapjack
    Free Member

Thinking about it…. any recommendations for free antivirus, something that’s not going to slow my PC down too much? or is it enough just to rely on windows Defender?

kimbers

microsoft security essentials (MSE)
    is the one you want

works very well and unobtrusive

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘AVG antivirus removal….HELP!!!’ is closed to new replies.