Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • AVALANCHE!!
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

In Winnats Pass today!

nbt

wow, that’s ace

piemonster

Decent slide that. Good to see the photos.

teasel
    Free Member

The guy in the red and blue top is clearly having none of it.

Bet he’s still running now…

joat

Ooh. Going that way Monday, thought I might ride up or down it at some point.

mintimperial

Cor. An actual honest-to-goodness avalanche in the Peak. Brilliant. 🙂

(Assuming there’s not some poor bugger stuck under that lot, obviously.)

athgray
    Free Member

The sight of avalanche debris sends a shudder down my spine.

Drac

Cool!

Good job there’s some many threads on trail conditions or someone might gone MTBing there.

fenred
    Free Member

My pooper would have gone that’s for sure, but then again I’m a softie suv’ner so I feel barely qualified to even post…. 😉

singletrackmind

Shall i put my arva bleeper in my CB for tomorrows ride?
    You never can be too carefull you know.

samuri
    Free Member

You need bleepers just for road riding at the moment.
    This is what Rivington looks like right now.

A little bit of snow by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Anyone know if this is clear yet? Thanks

Dales_rider
    Free Member

My local hill

Bunnyhop

Gosh, that picture doesn’t show how steep Winnats is either.

Not too much snow here anymore, however there are still some whooper drifts on the footpaths up against walls.

Was lucky enough to see a little owl while mtbing out yesterday, was wondering how the wildlife is coping in these conditions.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Today on a hill near by, lazy council workers

chakaping
    Free Member

This is what Rivington looks like right now.

I turned back about 50m after climbing over the snow at the Rivington end. Wasn’t so much the surface that made me pack it in, but the hundreds of people who’d decided to go for a stroll up the road.

Has it been ploughed all the way over the top?

samuri
    Free Member

I think it has now. The plough arrived shortly after I took that picture I think, probably to try and release the 7 or 8 cars that were trapped up there. On the Belmont side there was no snow at all anyway. There’s still all that snow up from Rivington though, that goes almost all the way up to the junction with Belmont road.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yep, it’s clear – was over there this morning.
    Did hear that it was closed again for a while this morning – no idea why. It’s all a bit soft so am guessing some of the ploughed piles may have slumped but if I find out more I will post it up.

Fantastic riding on the tops though:

Top road on Bradwell Moor:

Lots of snow but great fun.

chakaping
    Free Member

cool, cheers guys.

there was a huge pile of snow just past the cafe at the bottom yesterday which everyone was clambouring over

was quite pleasant without the usual motorbike dickheads actually

Sandwich

No, av a Swisskit. (For those of a certain vintage).

BigJohn

I would risk it.

richpips
    Free Member

I rode up Winnats yesterday.

Eek 😐

cuckoo
    Free Member

Great that the roads are now clear but what about the cycle paths!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Errr and the green lanes:

And some people never made it out alive!

gavinbevis
    Free Member

Hi rogerthecat

Love the avalanche photos from Winnats Pass. Would you mind if we used them on the BBC News website?

Thanks

Gavin Bevis
    BBC News (East Midlands)

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Gavin – they were taken by Edale Mountain Rescue – I am sure they would be happy – link here for contact, perhaps a mention/credit for them would be good, they do a brilliant job: http://www.edalemrt.co.uk/

gavinbevis
    Free Member

Hi Roger

Thanks for that – I will give them a shout.

Cheers

Gavin

grum
    Free Member

Ace pics, thanks folks.

Mark

The images above have come from the Facebook page of Safariquip

They are hotlinked images and the OP has not copied them and we are not hosting copies of these images.

I’ve just received an email from the owner of Safariquip that he intends to seek an injunction against us for copyright theft of these images. I have explained that hotlinking is not the same as copying. I have even explained how the appearance of the images above is entirely within his control and he can quite easily make them go away if they are that sensitive. But to no avail – he’s still intending to take, not only legal action against us as publisher of this forum but also to bill us for the use of the images.

His first threat came through at 10am on Bank Holiday monday in the form of a veiled legal threat to remove the images ‘by noon’ – yes! he used the word ‘noon’ in a sentence outside of a western.

The OP of this thread has done nothing wrong – He’s neither copied or passed off the images as his own. We (Singletrack) have similarly done nothing wrong and we will defend both ours and our users rights to be able to reference publicly available material on the internet without having to worry about silly people threatening us with legal action when we do.

wwaswas

*applauds Mark*

[edit] Not wanting to start a flame war but I’ve also let them know that there’s a lot of stw posters who are in their target market and that the threats they’ve made are likely to backfire in terms of their reputation and sales.

Mark

Please feel free to spread the word.

footflaps

There are some complete morons on the internet and he is obviously one of them…..

And they’re not even that good as photos go, nor unique. Complete buffoon.

Mark

An open reply to Julian McIntosh

REF: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/avalanche

Hi Julian,

It’s clear from your Facebook posts that you really haven’t understood what Hotlinking is. It’s absolutely NOT copying of images. The images have not been downloaded from your pages and stored elsewhere, a fact that can simply be demonstrated by you removing the images from your Facebook page, as I advised, and watching all the places on the internet where they are displayed simply disappear and be replaced with an error message or a little blue square. If they had been copied as you seem convinced they have been, then you removing them from your Facebook page would have no effect on their appearance elsewhere.

Also, I should point out that the reply that you have posted on your own personal Facebook page is from me. I’m a Director here at Singletrack. That reply was not from one of our team of volunteer moderators.

And for the record, had you not shrouded your original email in the misjudged pretence of a legal threat (Who uses the word ‘noon’ anyway?) at 10am on a bank holiday, then you would likely have received a much more sympathetic response that may have included such helpful dialogue as, ‘If it’s simply an issue of credit then why don’t we just add a credit and link to the OP’s post to clear things up?’.

While we, as a publisher are very sympathetic to the misuse of anyone’s images and would never deliberately breach anyone’s claim to copyright (we also appreciate that the misuse of hotlinking and copyright is a controversial issue) we are also prepared to stand up against anyone who’s opening gambit to any dialogue consists of veiled legal threats against either us or our registered forum users.

And finally, having had hotlinking explained to you several times now and how the control of your own hotlinked images is within your control, why are the images still visible on our forum?

And in case there’s any doubt, the above can simply be summed up as – Don’t start throwing veiled legal threats and setting deadlines as an opening volley when you could have simply been polite and asked us to look at it. On a Bank holiday FFS!

Cheers
    Mark

mintimperial

Heh. Oops.

Should I find myself in the market for “travel accessories” or “adventure gear” I now have a good reason to eliminate one supplier from my list of possibles on the grounds of their being a) greedy muppets and b) mardy sods.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Wow, that avalanch must have been quite awesome to watch.

We (Singletrack) have similarly done nothing wrong and we will defend both ours and our users rights to be able to reference publicly available material on the internet without having to worry about silly people threatening us with legal action when we do.

Really great to hear, this. Good work Mark.

footflaps

or c) complete moron

Never heard of them but they are definitely on the avoid like the plague list.

grum
    Free Member

It’s certainly not always practiced on forums but I think ideally the OP should have credited where he got the photos from in his first post.

I don’t see why it should be STW’s responsibility though.

big_scot_nanny

love it Mark!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Lordy, it’s not as if the original thread wasn’t interesting enough without this!
    I’d not heard about Safariquip before but I will go out of my way to avoid them now.

thepurist

FWIW they’ve also published one of the images via twitter

https://twitter.com/SafariQuip/status/319160362236780544/photo/1

…to all of their 51 followers 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘AVALANCHE!!’ is closed to new replies.