Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Autumn soup recipes….
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The nights are fair drawing in, what soup recipes are floating your boat the noo?.

Cauliflower and kale is getting big licks in the nobeer household, from Williams sonoma site – for some reason I can’t post links on this site from the iPad, chrome or safari.

Bloody awesome soup.

garage-dweller

Lots of river cottage ones…favourites being

Beetroot and cumin
    Butternut and nutbutter, add crispy bacon when serving.

My 10 minute get home late favourite though.

One can mixed pulses
    2/3 pint stock
    1/2 teaspoon chilli flake
    A tablespoon or so of tomato puree
    Some diced chorizo

Simmer together for 10-15 mins

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Beetroot and cumin sounds ace, but I’m on a self ban on lentils, for other people’s protection….

Gonna try and make a different soup every week right through winter.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

T’missus does a good chickpea and carrot. It tastes sweet and savoury all at the same time. Plenty of thyme and rosemary.

Curried parsnip for me though. I do the onions as if I’m making a (pretty mild) curry and roast the parsnips.

Neither of these soups will help with the emissions however.

nostoc
    Free Member

Not sure if this is an autumn soup but it is a current favourite. The recipe is quite frugal which I like but you could add stock, cream, even bacon I suppose, if you wanted. Just use loads of parsley and barely cook it so it stays bright green. http://www.tarladalal.com/Potato-and-Parsley-Soup-33960r

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nostoc in yer soup? Sounds a bit dry….

rascal
    Free Member

Mmmmm – these sound like they’re worth investigating.
    A sure winner if you can’t be bothered with the prep though is ‘Dream Team’ – any brand of leek and potato soup…with tinned tuna*. I can hear the groans, but…assuming you like both separately you’d love it if you tried it. A work colleague turned his nose up recently, then tried a spoon of mine…pondered and said ‘F*ck me – that’s a revelation!’. Sorry for the slight hijack OP! 😉

* Best served with black pepper and crusty bread.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Just making oxtail soup with dumplings, should be ready this time tomorrow.

anagallis_arvensis

Chorizo, brown. Add some onion garlick and chilli and smoked paprika then add butternut squash and chicken stock. Cook blitz and eat.

corroded
    Free Member

It’s not original, but there are few things more comforting than butternut squash soup. Got to be real chicken stock, roast the squash with some garlic cloves, add to the stock, simmer with a load of ginger (fresh and or powder) and a lot of grated nutmeg. Sweet and warm.
    I don’t know if it counts as soup, but a good hot pho is also worth doing, if you’ve got some great stock.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Pea and ham here frozen peas for ease and freshness. Left over bits of ham from sundays gammon dinner. Homemade chicken stock (from 2weeks ago sunday roast carcass boiled and strained then frozen) salt pepper onions and some garlic salt slow cooker and bobs your aunties best mate.

jimmy

Can’t beat good old lentils. Just veggie, or with bacon or chicken – I could eat it all day every day.

B’squash is very meh in comparison. Unless it has lentils!

HughStew

Courgette soup. Sweat some finely chopped onions, then add diced courgettes and sweat some more. When soft add some stock, simmer for a few mins, whizz up with a liquidiser and whisk in a good handful of finely grated Parmesan. Yum Yum.

joelowden

Onions , garlic, celery fried till soft . Cubed Sweet potato & carrots/ tatties or whatever you’ve got lying around . smoked paprika and chicken or veg stock .
    Blitz it if you want and finish off with some chickpeas.
    Or alternatively buy ‘The soup bible’ Loads of lovely soups in it .

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Ten minute minestrone from the BBC website is a big hit in our house, usually add bacon to it. If I’ve got more time, pea and ham.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Big soup fans here generally the classics, pumpkin this week of course, leek and potato, trying to buy some Jerusalem artichokes which are in season but hard to find, parsnip. A big fan of hearty Spanish style with tomatoes, beans and perhaps some chorizo. No particular tricks, base with shallot for delicate soups, milk or stock instead of water sometimes, hand help liquidiser to finish, a “lift” with some kirsch, cream or fresh herbs on top.

johndoh
    Free Member

Left over beef casserole (itself with a huge bag of lentils in it) remade as soup with cannelloni beans and potato.

It was very nice today but then realised that I hadn’t cook d the beans properly so had to pick them out and cook properly.

No idea if eating the undercooked ones will kill me yet…

ironnigel
    Free Member

French onion soup. Really cook them onions down. At least 45 mins. Wine & brandy. Gruyere baguette toasty bits on top are a must.

Harira. A spicy chickpea & chicken soup. Often eaten to break a Ramadan fast. Utterly delicious. A real warmer with mellow North African spices. Can omit the chicken if you are a veggie.

Crab chowder.

Carrot and coriander.

Broccoli and Stilton. Also works as a Christmas leftover in the guise of sprout and Stilton. Oh that works. Stand clear though eh?

Classic Italian Ribolitta.

As others have said, butternut squash and curried parsnip are true Autumn / winter classics.

Stews? Take your pick. Onions, carrots, celery of course. Your choice of beer or wine with stock. Beef? Rabbit? Chicken? Pearl barley? Mushrooms towards the end? Knob of butter or dollop of yog to finish? Slow cooked oxtail is a fave. Always seems a bit odd opening a can of ale before going to work. Ho hum.
    Ooh don’t forget them thar dumplings.

It’s Autumn. You are limited by your imagination and your ability to Google recipes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had roast pumpkin, carrot & chicken soup this eve.

Very nice, also includes a tin of tomatoes and fried onions.

jools182
    Free Member

I’m going to try some of these to take in for my lunch

I usually end up making chicken noodle soup they day after a roast

ahwiles
    Free Member

fry an onion

pick 3 more vegetables*, any 3.

chop, jumble with oil, salt, pepper, and mixed herbs, roast for 30mins.

add them to a saucepan, with the onion, cover with stock.

hand blender.

add some beans, pulses, pearl barley, or not.

simmer.

done.

(*root, capsicum, squash, whatever)

llama

Minestrone so thick it’s basically vegetable stew. Or ribolitta for that matter.

Squash in a thai style coconut milk thing

Smoked fish chowder

Mulligatawny

ahwiles
    Free Member

Also,

slow cooker.

Beef, carrot, onion and rosemary, lots of rosemary, and a pint of beer.

2 pints of beer, one for the pot, one for the cook.

binners

This is bloody lovely…. arbroath smokie and scottish cheddar soup

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Thai Butternut Squash (or Pumpkin)

Peel, cube and roast squash/pumpkin until tender and a little coloured.

Chuck it in a saucepan with a tablespoon or two of thai red curry paste to taste, yours or shop bought, add some veg or chicken stock and a can of coconut milk, bubble away for 5 minutes or so, blitz in a blender/stick blender.

You can pass it through a sieve if you want it uber smooth. Serve with a swirl of cream. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Autumn soup recipes….’ is closed to new replies.