Home Forums Bike Forum Automotive tyre sealant in tubeless bike set up

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Automotive tyre sealant in tubeless bike set up
  • lambchop
    Free Member

Have one of those puncture repair kits left over after buying a spare wheel for my car. Would the sealant work in a tubeless mtb wheel? No biggy if not. Just like using stuff up.

zerocool

Don’t they tend to contain ammonia or some other substance that tends to wreck tyres?  They’re only meant as a quick fix to get you home/to the tyre shop.

paladin

I used to use green tractor tyre sealant when I had ghetto tubeless. It worked and was cheap. Prob just stick with the proper stuff now tho.

thols2

I use Holt’s TyreWeld along with liquid latex for ghetto tubeless (i.e. with a split inner tube as a rim strip). Works fine, never had a problem. When I first started doing ghetto tubeless 20 or more years ago, I used Slime and TyreWeld. The Slime is longer lasting, the TyreWeld seals them up fast.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Oko fluid from a farm shop or Amazon.

Water it down 25%

It works very well and doesn’t dry out like latex based fluid.

oldnick

Don’t worry about the ammonia angle, Stans and the like has ammonia in it to keep the liquid latex – er – liquid in the tyre.

Don’t sniff the good stuff though, FYI yes it does smell stronger than household ammonia. #understatement

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.