Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Australian cyclist dies in South African race.
  • SST
    Free Member

(From http://sport.iafrica.com/news/2316581.htm)

26-year-old Australian cyclist James Williamson, who won the 2008 World Solo 24 hour mountain bike Championships in Canmore, Canada, died in his sleep on Tuesday while participating in the eight day, 723km Absa Cape Epic mountain bike race.

James, who edited the Australian Enduro mountain bike magazine, was declared dead at 6.47am in the Ceres Private Hospital, where he was taken when his riding partner Shaun Lewis, 28, could not wake him, the organisers said in a statement.

Describing Williamson as a "strong young athlete", the race organisers said he had an uneventful ride on Tuesday and had felt "completely well with no complaints" at the end of the stage.

"He and his partner ate well last night and everyone who spent the afternoon and evening with him said that he was perfectly fine. After the first two stages they were in 18th overall position."

Best wishes to his family.

RepacK
    Free Member

Yep I saw that, very sad.. I wonder what happened..

SST
    Free Member

On TV tonight there was no speculation.

solarider
    Free Member

Is he the chap that beat Chris Eatough to the 24 hour solo crown featured in the '24 Solo' DVD?

He seemed pretty close to the edge then and able to push his body further than anybody I have ever seen. Tragic nevertheless.

glenncampbell

No – that was Craig Gordon on 24 Solo.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sends chills down my spine

Be careful guys.

best wishes to family and friends

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

… I was never quite sure that 24hr stuff was really all that good for you.

Sad news..

epicyclo

It's a tragedy.

A great loss to Oz mtb

SST
    Free Member

(From http://www.enduropulse.com.au)

In what must be a show of strength, Shaun Lewis, James Williamsons team mate, continued on and rode and finished Stage 3 as an individual finisher.

That can't have been easy. Respect to Shauns effort.

domdownunder
    Free Member

I can't believe this, such a tragedy, he was a real presence in Aussie MTBing. A month ago he was lining up in front of us all in the Otways.

Best wishes to his family & Niki at this sad time.

tonyg2003

I've known two road cyclists – both in their 20's – that I've raced and trained with, who have both died in their sleep. Terrible stuff.

rOcKeTdOg

S.A.D. syndrome is more prevelent than you think though, very sad

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Australian cyclist dies in South African race.’ is closed to new replies.