Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Acoustic guitar case recommendations..
  • Dylan08
    Free Member

Just starting out learning the guitar and need a case to ferry my guitar to my tutors house…

any recommendations – prefer the ‘soft’ type cases rather than the hard shell ones…

Ta chaps!

camo16
    Free Member

Having had both soft and hard shell, I’d recommend the latter every time. With the right hard case you won’t have to retune you axe every time you ferry it about. Plus, it’s actually well protected… soft shells, IMO, won’t protect your weapon. And your weapon should be protected!

Dylan08
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up! makes sense. Nice one buddy

_tom_
    Free Member

I agree with camo, hard cases are so much better apart from having to find somewhere to store it. If you do want a soft case though then you may as well just get the cheapest padded one you can get from your local music shop as unless you spend a lot on some moulded foam type thing, they’re much of a muchness imo

Klunk
    Free Member

axe, weapon ? do you wear leopard skin tights and live in the 1980’s

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmmm,

The hard shells are much better – for one it’s generally easier to get the guitar in and out of without mullering the tuning.

But – if you are cash strapped / conscious than some of the soft ones are better than others.

I’ve a bargain basement one which is essentially just a cloth case with handles. It’s pretty useless for anything other than storing guitars under beds to keep the dusk off.

I’ve also got a formed foam one which really isn’t bad. Has lots of pockets for music, capos and the like, is easy to get the guitar into and has dual shoulder straps so you can look like a proper student when carrying it 😉

Having said all of that I still prefer hard shells – but then don’t spend money on a case that’s worth more that your guitar. You’re better off investing in the instrument.

camo16
    Free Member

If you do go for a hard shell, your axe obviously has to fit well inside – so find out your guitar’s proportions before researching a snug case that’ll work for you.

I have experience of this: my arch-top is the weirdest shape. It’s got a huge body but it’s very, very narrow. In the end I had to go for a massive Gibson case and use plenty of Mrs 16’s old towels to guarantee a good fit.

Had it about eight years, though, and it hardly ever needs tuning and has no new scuffs. Job done!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Much prefer a soft shell, especially if you’ve got to walk any distance with the guitar… don’t really see tuning as an issue, takes 30 secs to tune a guitar.

No recommendations mind. no idea of makes on mine. try it first to check how comforable it is, I’ve one for my bass that is crap and the other for my classical is great, more padded and it doesn’t have clips in silly places.

camo16
    Free Member

axe, weapon ? do you wear leopard skin tights and live in the 1980’s

Yngwie Malmsteen with a gut. That’s me.

😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d recommend Hiscox hard cases, don’t use soft cases they offer a false sense of security and hide any damage until you unsheathe your moneymaker, which only leads to regret and expense.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Acoustic guitar case recommendations..’ is closed to new replies.