Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • at what age do you buy your final bike?
  • freeagent
    Free Member

A couple of other points –

There is a fair chance you’ll never know it was your last bike when you hand over your debit/credit card…
    My brother died last year (he was 36) he was a keen cyclist and although he had a long term illness, I know this thought never crossed his mind, as he was planning to buy a new road bike just before he died.

There are plenty of people who ride well into their 80s – friends of ours did a London to Paris run a couple of years ago to celebrate a 60th birthday of one of the club members.
    The oldest guy on the trip was 80, and from what I’ve heard, held his own in the ‘fast’ group…

ndthornton
    Free Member

current age + 1

timberjack
    Free Member

My wife said i could have a new bike for my 50th but it is a year away so i have convinced her i am getting old and i should really get it now as i would be wasting a year of my life, got the nod tonight to order it only trouble now is i’ve got £3500 to spend and i’m not sure what to buy

scotroutes

mos – Member
    My dad’s just gone 67 & bought himself this;

Oldboy by marcusandcath, on Flickr

Very nice – but doesn’t he mind you leaning your bike on it?

woodsman
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re giving up already rocketdog. I’m older than you (just) and I’ve got my first custom frame made, waiting to be built up.

When you’re ready to give up is the answer 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

@rocketdog – I was only a year younger than you are now, when I started MTB in 2008.
    Already had a grey beard by then and was decidedly podgy after years of sitting behind a desk.
    Fast forward to today, and I have a selection of bikes for most occasions. Not planning to stop buying them (although I have no specific purchases in mind)

As we’re both attending SSUK, maybe we could sit around the campfire with some beers and find things to ‘grump’ about 😉

busydog
    Free Member

New Pivot Carbon 429 at age 70, so still working on it.
    For what it’s worth, I have told Mrs busydog that each of the last 3 bikes was “the very last one”

Andy

Lead a 40 mile ride for my club across the Chilterns last year. One of the riders is 80.

woodsman
    Free Member

busydog – you are a winner in many ways – respect!

rOcKeTdOg

As we’re both attending SSUK, maybe we could sit around the campfire with some beers and find things to ‘grump’ about

I’m in

TiRed

Is there something missing from that

Afraid not. He died at 29. Life is precious. Live it 😉

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Age 49 and I may have already bought my last bike, a CX last autumn.
    I’ve now got 7 bikes to choose from and can’t see any likely riding requirement I haven’t already covered. The more personal history they acquire the less inclined I would be to ditch any of them and I’m not bothered by new technology so for the forseeable future they’ll all get ridden and maintained.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

only a troll could ask a dumb a$$ question like this, close the thread NOW.

DaveRambo

I’m 47 and my thoughts are more along the lines of what is my next bike, not my last bike.

I plan on repeating this until I die at which point my daughter informs me that she will sell them all apart from the Yeti – as it will remind her of me.

All sounds perfectly sensible and reasonable to be (except I’d sell the Yeti as well)

onewheelgood

My next birthday is 55. I’m certainly thinking about my next bike. n+1 doesn’t stop applying because you get older, it’s a universal law.

jock-muttley

I’m 47 and my thoughts are more along the lines of what is my next bike, not my last bike.

+1 and ditto to the above and the 47yo bit too

RocketDog… you forgot the rules of THE GAME:

“He who dies with the most toys bikes wins”

oldboy
    Free Member

With only a dirisory £325K inheritance tax threshold, you might as well keep buying the best bike in the shop every year you manage to cheat the grim reaper!

ASC
    Free Member

Midlife crisis dip before the sports car rebound me thinks 😉

vondally
    Free Member

I will be 48 in a few days, having been told by a consultant last year to give up riding as it wrecking my physical skeletal health I sold up or moved most things on…… :(….went back for a review saw different consultant who told me to get out riding and be reasonably sensible I am back riding, enjoying myself and that period just being out makes me value every ride.

New bike not really for me but plenty of secondhand bikes I need……..

keep going and enjoy yourself!

mboy
    Free Member

Have customers in their 80’s that own (and still ride) several bikes.

Have customers in their 70’s that regularly still ride mountain bikes properly offroad.

Ride with guys in their 60’s that I’d struggle to keep up with.

Rode up Snowdon with a bunch of guys in their 50’s the other week, they were all a lot quicker than me going up!

Know guys that started road racing when they were older than you are now, and got a Cat 2 license seemingly overnight!

I’m 33. I’m not as fit as I was 6 months ago, but I’m ok on a bike. 47 is at least 3 decades too early to even contemplate the question!

belugabob
    Free Member

As we’re both attending SSUK, maybe we could
    sit around the campfire with some beers and find
    things to ‘grump’ about[\quote]
    I’m in[\quote]

It’s a date – but definitely no snogging!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

At 47 its not unreasonable to have another 30+ years of riding…..
    I wouldn’t expect a bike to last me 30 years.

belugabob
    Free Member

First thing to grump about (apart from the abysmal public transport experience today) is forums that don’t appear to deal with bbcode correctly 😉

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i put a bike together for my dad for his 65th birthday in august. he is riding 50+ miles a week and doing endos outside the pub on it 😀

he thinks it is the first ‘proper’ bike he ever had, i was just checking he would still be into riding before i got him his first ‘proper’ bike

he was getting a bit porky since giving up work so i thought a bike was a good idea. as ever a new bike sparked him into getting out on the bike more so i figure ill get him a new one each year from now on

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘at what age do you buy your final bike?’ is closed to new replies.