Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Artists, anyone know about colour mixing?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mad question I know but….we bought some paint that we thought was a Darkish Pink that turns out to be more purple! Can we add some different colour(s) to make it less dark & pinker? Put some on a wall & thought ‘yuk’,
    Help!

Euro
    Free Member

Not really. The amount of ‘lighter’ paint you’d need wouldn’t make it viable. Best to buy a new tin and keep the purple for something else.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Dusky pink is a crime in our house!

If it’s purple then it is both too dark and too blue.

Add white to achieve the desired lighter shade then red to get the colour value.

*Edit – Agree with Euro – is easier to buy a different tin, but if you already have some white it might be worth buying a small tin of red and having a bash. Experiment with small measured amounts until correct mix ratios achieved then scale up.

Remember pink is just red and white (lighter shade of red) so purple (blue) would have to be reaaaaaaly diluted out. So much so that why really bother?

jonba
    Free Member

In theory if you use the same brand they should mix fine as the base technology will be the same. My suggestion would be to only try white to make it lighter since anything else becomes hard and you’ll end up with a dirty brown.

As malvern rider says try it on a small scale then scale up. I’d suggest you mix all of it when you go for it as if you make a mistake you’ll end up with two tone walls. Colour mixing is a bit of a dark art – results aren’t alwas what you would expect, even with pure stainers – when you are dealing with existing mixed colours you have little chance of getting to exactly what you want.

Euro
    Free Member

A good pink will have a touch of yellow too if you decide to to try and mix it lighter, which if you’re not fussy about the result, might be worth a try. I doubt you’ll get the pink you liked originally, but you may get something pleasant (or a brown of some sort 😀 )

Jonba, you seem to know your paint sir. How come (if you don’t mind me asking)?

maccruiskeen

If the paints not what it is shown on the label (or a match to the colour you had it mixed to) just take it back to the shop.

With the sample area you’ve painted on the wall keep in mind the hue can change a bit as the paint properly cures, so it can dry to one shade in a few hours but over the next few days the colour can keep altering.

We used to have a really, properly purple wall in a gallery I used to work in – every time we had to repaint sections after re-hanging work we’d be certain we’d used the wrong paint the new stuff looked so different, it took around week for the new paint to settle to the right colour.

ctk
    Free Member

If you have some white paint I’d be pouring the purple into the white rather than vice versa.

jonba
    Free Member

I watch paint dry for a living.

I do product development and have done for a few years. Last few years I’ve been on heavy duty intumescents so I mostly work in grey.But I did do a brief stint in finishes. All mine is industrial, never done decorative, that is a different site.

Euro
    Free Member

I watch paint dry for a living.

😆

Not just any old paint though – magical fireproof paint! Thought it was something technical, sounds pretty interesting. Cheers.

kayak23

Goth room?

yunki
    Free Member

I agree with all of the above..
    Especially what ctk said..

I spend half of my waking life mixing paint and it can be truly maddening..
    Infinite monkeys spring to mind for some reason

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If you have some white paint I’d be pouring the purple into the white rather than vice versa.

Sounds like a plan, I’ll give it a go!

Thanks chaps.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Artists, anyone know about colour mixing?’ is closed to new replies.