Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Are you happy with the steeds in your stable?
  • TooTall
    Free Member

I’m not riding nearly as much as I want to right now, but thats life this year. However, I am genuinely happy with the number and types of bikes I own and have no interest in even thinking about buying anything else right now. I have my bases covered. Anyone else out there reached that strange nirvana as well? Feels sort of mid-life but no crisis – happy with what I have I guess.

(I said ‘steeds’ and ‘stable’ just for that annoyance factor 😀 )

Jamie
    Free Member

(I said ‘steeds’ and ‘stable’ just for that annoyance factor )

Mission accomplished 😡

takisawa2

You need to create a need.
    There will be a sub-genre somewhere that you havent covered.

And you should have used the words “rig” & “fleet” also.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Feels sort of mid-life crisis<

Yeah reads like it too…

njee20
    Free Member

Want a new road bike, but I have done so for many years, but there’s nothing wrong with either of mine. Very happy with the MTB though.

TooTall
    Free Member

Got:

HT 29er. Great bike, does most everything.
    FS 29er. Better bike than I am rider – does everything else and in comfort.
    Road bike. Rare as hens teeth and does a good job for me.
    Hybrid. Commuter – great at what it does.

No other niches needed here thank you very much.

z1ppy

Very happy with my collection (3 FS & a HT), though have alway ‘kinda’ hankered after a Scandal to replace my inbred (but not worried about it), otherwise I just fancy some new 20mm bolt thru forks for one and spending the time building up another again.

Oh and learning to unicycle, so I can buy an off-road one! (hey it’s just for laughs)

flow
    Free Member

No other niches needed here thank you very much.

Other than some proper sized wheels

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I have my bases covered.

Did you put that in for annoyance as well? If so well done.

angryratio
    Free Member

BOW DOWN to my consumerist ways.. oh worsip at the feet of my niche whorenessishness.

TooTall
    Free Member

Well if my ducks are in a row and the boxes are ticked, then the bases are covered and we can run longest pole nearest the canoe up the elephant in the room and see who salutes it!

Flow – anything elss than 29 isn’t proper size for me.

flow
    Free Member

To be honest I have never ridden a 29’er and would quite like to have a go.

Lifer
    Free Member

1 bike here (FS) would like a cyclocross or road bike as well but there’s not enough space in my bedroom.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been happy with my quiver for years, that said I bought 3 new ones this year and went up to 7.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ragley td1 is awesome fast wiked innit

My sandman always brings a smile to my face when i ride it

Want rid of the 456 its no use in the uk for me

If i was rich id change the merida race bike to some form
    Of 29er race bike but thats just being picky !

Road bikes a hunk of junk but its old faithful !

scruff
    Free Member

I need an Aggressive XC Fully in my quiver, but my Hardcore Hard Tail may need to go to make way for it.

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty much actually. I haven’t changed bikes for over a year now which is unheard of for me previously.

– Geared bike for proper rides (Swift with sus fork)
    – SS for local rides (inbred)
    – Retro Kona hardtail for sentimental reasons and towing kid trailer
    – CX bike (Dolan) also doubles as a winter road bike
    – Road bike (Bianchi)
    – second road bike (Trek) which will shortly be living at my inlaws to save me flying bikes there and back

And tbh, while I have been tempted to get a full sus geared bike, I really can’t see that I need it so unless a silly bargin comes along or I decide to splash out in a few years when I hit 40, I can’t see that changing.

I guess I’m occassionally tempted to get a lighter/’better’ CX frame but until disc frames are the norm I’ll stick with it as it’s really very good and I’m no lightweight.

oddjob
    Free Member

I’m happy enough with the bikes, but I have a serious hankering after some Zipp 404s for racing. Anyone on here got some?

Northwind

Nearly. Hopefully once my Ellsworth and its 888s arrive I’ll be happy. Then it’ll just be a case of clearing out the leftovers. Always some changes to make and some itch to be scratched though.

(anyone want an: SX Trail, BFe or MMmbop frame or a Haro Nyquist BMX?)

That said, the urge to 29-er-ise my rigid is still hanging around.

rocketman
    Free Member

Are you happy with the steeds in your stable?

Pretty much ecstatic tbh. Providing they go and stop that’s all I ask. It’s not what you ride etc etc

hillsplease

Nope – I’ve got 2 too many and am a bit bored of running and looking after 7 bikes. Looking to get shot of a couple. The new 29er has not helped either in terms of malcontent at smaller wheels being less good at rolling in my view. Now braced for a good flaming…..

soobalias
    Free Member

number and type wise im happyish

1xFS
    1xHT
    1xSS road dropped bars full guards rack
    1xSS mtb rigid

could/might consolidate the two SS into one thats more suitable

*kicks TT in teh nutz for the title*

PJM1974
    Free Member

Got:

2004 Spesh Enduro
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.8

Want:

The Enduro with a 1/2 degree slacker head angle and an RP3
    1/2″ Lower BB on the Marin
    An upgradeable mid spec 100mm hardtail
    A pimp road bike
    A Spesh Camber or similar
    A DH bike
    Some decent hills and rocky trails near my house
    Skills
    137 different pairs of tyres to choose from
    Slightly more chiselled features
    World peace

There. I think that covers every eventuality

thered

delighted thanks altho i suppose i could do with a radder dh bike but it rarely gets used so what’s the point

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Here’s my journey!!

Summer 2007, buy a £400 rock rider 8.1 from Decathlon, my first ‘proper’ bike (opinion at the time’
    Summer 2009 buy a £650 Specialized Aliez Sport triple road bike (at this time the above bike has done 30 miles!)
    November 2009 sell them both (2 rides on the spesh road bike) and buy a Specialized FSR XC and join my local MTB club and sign up for their ‘newbie ride’ to see if I’m fit enough to do the club rides.

At this point I’m 20st10lb 6ft1”.

Go to llandegla on the back of olympic breakfast ten minutes earlier, throw my ring up about half way up the first climb 😳 but not perturbed I carry on and enjoy the rough stuff.

Over the following winter I keep going to Llandegla and get faster, fitter, technically better and after three ‘newbie rides’ where I’m clearly not fit enough to join the club they let me in and I start riding mid week rides and get fitter to the point where I’m not last, still very average skills wise.
    November 2010 some scrote steals my beloved FSR XC so I go out and buy ……

Nov 2010 Cube Stereo Race FS… love it to bits but start to tweak stems bars etc as just struggle with geometry… Still riding 4 times a week (now 17st 10) and dong lots of night rides in the mud I convince myself I need to extend the stable and include a HT…

Feb 2011 Niner Air 9 29er HT

Love the bike to bits and it sets me on a path of OMG 29ers are awesome, I need another, I hire the Beard for the day and we do some great one on one training up at Lee Quarry on the Cube, at the end of the day I have a bad tumble at the Eliminator and bust a rib and knee cap. Get a phone call from a mate who’s just done a deal on a Rumblefish 1 29er….

I pop in on way back (frozen peas strapped to leg) and end up buying a Rumblefish 2 29er as a total and utter emotional purchase and sell the Cube

April 2011 Buy a Cube Peloton Road Bike 🙄 as I convince myself I WILL get up every morning and do some serious training. it’s been used about three times!

April 2011 I crash the Rumblefish hard at Lee Quarry thus proving its the rider not the bike 😆

Have issue with suspension on Rumblefish, Trek fit a low tune shock to BIG bike and wouldn’t change it, it climbed like a pig and couldn’t get less than 40% sag, so I decide to sell it

May 2011 I met my new girlfriend and stop riding 4 times a week (pivotal moment)

June 2011 Rumblefish 2 SOLD

June 2011 buy a mates MINT 4 month old 2011 Zesty 514

July sell the Niner Air 9

And as now have the mint Peloton and Lappiere Zesty as my fleet and I genuinely don’t feel the need to buy any more. Apart from that I’m skint, put weight back on and only ride once a week at minute.

Watch out for my book appearing at a LBS (local book store) near you…………

grum
    Free Member

I’m happy with the steeds in my stable, in that I’ve got one mountain bike that does everything, which I really like.

It’s funny, amongst most of my friends I’m thought of as a bit of a kleptomaniac in terms of buying lots of bike gear etc – but it’s nothing at all compared to most of you on here – having about 5 mountain bikes seems to be the average? 😕

(I do have a BMX and a road bike as well though 😉 )

PJM1974
    Free Member

I haven’t included the missus’ 2008 Marin Rock Springs, stepson #1’s Merlin Malt and stepson #2’s Specialized Hardrock.

Plus we’ve two Viper Crazy Boy frames hanging off the garage wall.

That’s five full bikes and two frames so far…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Happy with my bikes.
    Not happy that reading about new stuff leaves me cold now.
    This nirvana state is hugely over-rated, it’s the lust and longing that keeps life interesting.

13thfloormonk

If I could find a non-squeely-in-the-wet set of brakes for my MTB then my collection would be perfect.

Whyte 905 MTB for local trails, with a set of tougher tyres reckon it’d be brilliant in the mountains.

CAAD9 on the road, fits perfectly, fast and comfortable. Will upgrade the wheels sooner or later, just to do it justice.

Awaiting a CX bike for all winter riding, touring and commuting duties.

Once I get ‘used’ to the CX bike I’ll probably want to substitute it for a proper CX, proper tourer and proper commuter, but I’ll need a bigger flat by then.

big_scot_nanny

Nah, never fully happy, always an itch! Often that itch releif is only a click away on that terrible “for sale” button up there ^^ 🙂

After attemping many weekends alps riding on my Vantana El Cap, finally admitted to myself that, even though 29ers do roll better, I’m gonna need a longer travel, slack, hard hitting 26er to really enjoy that stuff. Yes, I really need another bike! 😉

So, very nice Cotic Roadrat (off of here) does the commute duties very nicely, and occasional short road rides (soooooo boring).

Chumba HX2 29er does local forest spins and stuff with kids, as well as hliday/travel bike. (off of here)

Ventana does most of the trails around here. (ton’s fault, was almost a Turner Sultan based on I think OP Tootall’s recco)

Newly building up (where is that **** box from CRC!?!?!?) Nukeproof Mega with Fox 180 talas for bigger stuff.

Nice! I love building bikes me, almost as much as I like riding them… 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a FS that’s great and as it’s adjustable travel at the back, I keep thinking of dropping the forks to 120mm and the rear to the same, put all the nice bits off my geared HT onto my SS HT and sell the remaining parts. Then get an Alfined rear wheel so I can have one HT that does both SS & geared activities with minimum fuss (as it’s got sliding drop out’s that would be simples), and the fact it has rack mounts at the back would make it very useful if I end up cycling across Tanzania next year.

On the other bikes; a flat barred semi-road bike commuter for that London and my lovely plastic road bike, which being 3 weeks old is awesome.

I think that doing that to the SS is a good idea as I then can cut down the number of bikes I have, therefore making life a little simpler when it comes to picking one out of the bike house at the weekend for off road duties.

Saying that I could just get an adjustable travel fork for the FS and sell the HT and then I’d have no need for the Alfine rear wheel. But I could still put all the nice bits on the SS and shed some more weight from it. 😕

Decisions, decisions 😆

Woody
    Free Member

Nope – I’ve got 2 too many and am a bit bored of running and looking after 7 bikes

I’m in a very similar position and need to get rid of a couple at least which have too much of an overlap with the others. Love/Hate will sadly be going at the weekend (currently on Ebay) as no-one needs 4 singlespeeds, do they?

Can’t decide what is next as I like them all.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I am getting close to the holy grail of not wanting any more bikes.

HT for winter, mucking about on and general fun and frolics (just built it up)
    Short travel FS for all round riding (frame turns up tomorrow woohoo!)
    Long travel FS for uplift days, dh and big jumps and drops
    24″ Jump bike for pump track, dirt jumps and quick blasts round the village
    Retro hack bike with slicks for fitness training when the south downs is a mudfest. Also for when injured on the turbo trainer.

Yep 5 is the magic number. I hope……

Edit: Long travel FS needs a coil shock, jump bike needs new forks and the short travel FS needs lots of light shiny bits. I may have the right number, but never happy with the parts *sigh*

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I think I’m just about there.

No desire to change HT, trail FS or road steeds.

In process of building new (to me) DH sled to replace my freemince rig.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

as no-one needs 4 singlespeeds, do they?

Errrrr………….

1) Commuter on slicks
    2) Rigid winter snotfest bike
    3) Summer XC hardtail
    4) 29er curious bike, now used on damp summer rides

Woody
    Free Member

LOL ATM I’ve a …….
    Coyote HT3 flat bar fixie 26″
    Redline Monocog drop bar 29’er
    ‘cx’ Marin Bear Valley with 700c wheels
    Dialled Love/Hate
    + a Kona Stuff that is currently being run as s/s

Technically, only two of them are really singlespeeds.

yoshimi

Got one……a Turner 5 Spot

Couldn’t bare having to maintain/wash any more than one!

druidh
    Free Member

I occasionally desire a soft-tail – probably a 29er. It would have to be capable of taking a proper rack and some 80mm forks. That might replace the Onion.

trickydisco
    Free Member

TooTall. I’m sure you’ve got room for a webbs fixie

very niche

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve currently got-
    29er rigid ss
    Cx race bike
    Winter/training road bike
    SS commuter road bike
    BMX
    I’ve got coming-
    Carbon road race bike.
    29er Geared Ht race bike.
    I’d quite like-
    2nd cx race bike.
    FS ‘ragging’ bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Are you happy with the steeds in your stable?’ is closed to new replies.