• This topic has 89 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Are there any "proper? Downhill bikes out there that actually pedal quite well?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Damn clicking too much fail.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

What you want is an RS7 with the new Suntour 180-1400mm adjustable fork. Meant to be awesome bit of kit – my mate works at Greyville and says the quality is right up there. Im going to put one on mine for the Mega if and when I get to do it along with an adjustable post.. 140mm for climbing will steepen the head angle and 180mm for DH. Perfect. IIRC the RS7 has front mech routing too.

From just pedalling it back up fire tracks I recon with an adjustable post and some 140-180mm forks on and a decent light build you could get a wicked 36lbs all mountain / DH bike built.

Mine:-

DH Build

Just shy of 40lbs with Boxxer teams / easton finishing kit / Easton Havoc DH wheels and not trying too hard. No Ti bolts, no carbon bars etc. DH build mind nothing else.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m sorry jimjam, it wasn’t my intention to come across as an arsehole.

It’s just that this thread is wearing slightly, since it seems to have been 2 pages full of claims that DH bikes are not actually any use for DH, surprise at the fact DH race bikes aren’t any good at climbing, or that you might as well buy a road bike unless your surname is Peat.

peterfile
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy that is awesome! don’t suppose you fancy swapping for a day if you’re ever up near Wharncliffe? 😀

Although, you do realise that you would have been better off buying a Nomad for DH though? 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

peterfile
    this thread is wearing slightly,

Agreed.

one_happy_hippy – Member

What you want is an RS7 with the new Suntour 180-1400mm adjustable fork. Meant to be awesome bit of kit

It must be awesome alright….lol…snigger…sorry.

Your RS7 is very nice by the way. I wouldn’t ruin it with a dropper post and single crown forks etc but hey.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re considering freemince bikes, this looks quite good…

Cube Hanzz Pro

You’re in Cumbria aren’t you? There was one looking all sexy in the shop at Whinlatter when I popped in a couple of months ago.

ahwiles
    Free Member

peterfile: fyi – this is my ‘Dh’ bike:

long low and slack, but only 160mm travel, and a granny ring, i even rode it around kirroughtree and it really wasn’t that bad – infact it was a hoot!

peterfile
    Free Member

long low and slack

that’s always top of my shopping list before travel. I do agree that it seems pointless carrying around 9″ (oooh errrr!) for most UK riding, but it just seeems that proper DH geometry and general design is harder to come by on shorter travel bikes.

I sold my current DH bike’s predecessor and bought a Bullit, which I kitted out as a mini DH rig. but then i sold it because it just wasn’t that great as a DH bike and it wasn’t that great at general trail stuff.

So I just bought another full on DH bike and will use my HT and shorter travel bikes for everything else.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

It must be awesome alright….lol…snigger…sorry.

Your RS7 is very nice by the way. I wouldn’t ruin it with a dropper post and single crown forks etc but hey

Cheers!

Would only be for the mega where it needs to climb as well. Foes build a lot of the RS7’s up with totems – though I think a 180mm Fox 36 would be good too.

The Suntour is very good value for money for what it is. 140mm-180mm remotely adjustable travel for half the price of a Fox 36 talas.

Bare in mind that these arnt the old crappy suntours you may remember now made in the same factory as many big names – all ally internals – no plastic parts and have been getting pretty good reviews I think it came 2nd place to a 36 in one review and as its half the price its damn good value. Ok it isant as good as the Fox but is the fox going to be worth twice as much?

Suntour on Pinkbike

jwt
    Free Member

My friend and I used to ride DH bikes as our ‘all day’ bikes, back when light weight and long travel wasn’t something you’d hear in the same sentence, let alone decribe a bike with.
    His was a 222 with a 5th coil and Boxxer, with a double and bash gaurd on using an adaptor for the mech and cable stop.
    Yes it was slow and labourious up hill, bit when we did Highstreet on them, coming down off Lodepot (i think) was insane. Plenty of times we pushed or climbed slowly then plummeted, Walna scar also comes to mind.
    This was ok when we were younger and fitter, but due to changes in circumstance and the fact is, it was hard work meant we changed our bikes for something more usable more of the time.
    You can use any bike for just about anything as long as you can live with the inevitable compromise.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Are there any "proper? Downhill bikes out there that actually pedal quite well?’ is closed to new replies.