Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 256 total)
  • Are Roadies Odd?
  • njee20
    Free Member

I can walk into normal shops anyway, safe in the knowledge that I look daft, that won't change with some more baggy clothing 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

If you have a problem with wearing lycra then don't, it's a free country.

I wear lycra on road because its more comfy, less noisy, more aerodynamic, lighter and I look sexy in it.

One of those reasons may have been a small fib.

poppa
    Free Member

Some people are different to you. Get over it. 8)

joemarshall
    Free Member

I don't think lycra vs normal shorts makes a massive difference in performance. Although I wear normal shorts from topman shorts, not baggy bike shorts.

I did try cycling shorts for a bit, and I didn't really find a noticeable speed difference. In winter I wear tightish tracksuit bottoms, cos they're dirt cheap, dry very quickly, and don't flap.

As for why, just because I can't be bothered having six different types of clothing – normal shorts are fine for pretty much all the outdoor activities I get up to (and I can wear the same type of shorts at work too). I also do a lot of my riding as transport, where it is handy to not be lycraed up for most journeys.

Joe

Gary_M
    Free Member

Baggies (Endura Singletracks) are near enough waterproof as is the Camelbak.

Really?

I'd much rather wear lycra in the rain than heavy, flappy baggies for the sake of fashion or pleasing other people.

Mind you I'm not a fatty so I'm not bothered about people seeing me in lycra and cycling jersey.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i don't care what or how you carry stuff or how stupid you all look.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes you do!

njee20
    Free Member

I don't think lycra vs normal shorts makes a massive difference in performance. Although I wear normal shorts from topman shorts, not baggy bike shorts.

I really couldn't ride without padded shorts, that really is uncomfortable!

I must admit I've never really thought of performance advantages with lycra shorts, just see no reason not to, I'm not (too) fat, I'm riding a bike, I wear what makes the most sense for the situation!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You should try some Sombrio denim look waterproof baggies Gary -waterproof & I even got a compliment from a non cyclist

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don't think lycra vs normal shorts makes a massive difference in performance

mmm for a quick jaunt around the woods I can understand that, for a 100 mile ride then I'll stick with padded shorts.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You should try some Sombrio denim look waterproof baggies Gary

Yeh I could but I don't see the point of them, on an mtb I understand and I waer baggies – more crash protection, better for pub stops. But on the road I don't see any point.

Surfr
    Free Member

I've a pair of 3/4 waterproof baggies for REALLY wet muddy rides, and a pair of Singletracks (well the ones with the liner I forget the name of) for damp rides. The extra water resistant layer stops you getting a soaking arse from the get-go. Usually though I'd opt for lycra. I wear lycra on the road and the only thing in my jersey pockets is a phone and wallet/cash. Tube, Multi tool, Gel, Tyre Levers, in the saddlebag, small pump on downtube bottle cage mount. You barely notice it, though I'm considering trying CO2.

njee20
    Free Member

Surely normal baggies are anything but waterproof though? Surely they absorb water, leaving you wetter than you would be with just lycra?

aP
    Free Member

I've thought about getting some baggies now that I've put on a lot of weight in the last year, but they annoy me too much, although I do trundle into work in a pair of Under The Weather short/longuns.
    Its quite worrying, I've had to go up to a 30" waist and think about what happens when I reach 65kg. 🙁

Surfr
    Free Member

The teflon treated nylon on my humvees (I looked them up) is pretty good at repelling water. Hardly like wearing thick cotton for example.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I would have thought any of these 'teflon' coated baggies would only be any good at repelling light rain, not keeping you dry in hours of heavy rain.

I have a pair of goretex waterproof shorts that are great in the rain but I still don't find any need for them on a road ride.

Surfr
    Free Member

I'm not talking about wearing the teflon ones in heavy rain or on the road. I was just extolling their virtues off road. As I said, I've 3/4 waterproof shorts for when it's really pouring down.

ourmaninthenorth

Surfr – what bike and, more importantly, where's that then? 😀

Surfr
    Free Member

2010 Kona Jake the Snake and the location is on the 'Joe's Back Yard' route near the Hyddgen Ford.

NE corner of this route
    http://www.ystwyth-mtb.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=8

jond
    Free Member

>The extra water resistant layer stops you getting a soaking arse

Ah, that's what crudcatchers are for.

😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Baggies (Endura Singletracks) are near enough waterproof as is the Camelbak.

Really?

I'd much rather wear lycra in the rain than heavy, flappy baggies for the sake of fashion or pleasing other people.

Mind you I'm not a fatty so I'm not bothered about people seeing me in lycra and cycling jersey.

Oh god here we go – someone that thinks they look good in lycra.
    Here's the rule – blokes look awful in lycra and attempting to imply I'm chubby (9% bodyfat, V02 Max same as a Premier League footballer, resting pulse low 40s, etc) because I wear baggies (which aren't very baggy) really is rather sad. I wear a flipping mushroom on my head as do all sensible cyclists – is there any way to make that look cool? No there isn't. I wear lycra shorts UNDER my baggies for a bit of padding but other than that, I like having pockets and I like not showing the world my ar5e. My wife may think its's cute, I don't.

Here's the very same shorts causing massive drag and weight issues when I won an offroad tri last year: I Nikwaxed them so they are water resistant and repel all moisture.

The only thing I wear skin tight clothing for is open water swimming and surfing:

Blokes look dreadful in lycra – get over it. Baggies are more practical. Get over it.

And anyone trying to force "rules" and assumptions on others is a complete cretin.

juan
    Free Member

Well baggies haves pockets, so each time you look at the maps you don't have to get it out of the bag.
    As for long ride, friday 7 hours long ride has been done like usual, baggy and not padding underneath. I don't understand how people get sore asses… Maybe I am not njee enough.
    Tj IIRC when we did the horrible ride you were carrying a rugsac :D. Would you say that for this day a waterproof and a fleece where too much? I don't thing so.

juan
    Free Member

Surf mat you're my hero of the day 😀
    *EDIT You did mis-spell crétin though 😉

ac282

I don't get it. Why aren't you in a baggy wetsuit?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I don't get it. Why aren't you in a baggy wetsuit?

😀 😆

backhander
    Free Member

9% bodyfat, V02 Max same as a Premier League footballer, resting pulse low 40s, etc

Oh god you're boring.
    Are you friends with "realman" by any chance? Or possibly more?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Oh god you're boring

Pot kettle black.

Realman weighs about 3 grams and gets blown over by someone sneezing. I don't.

Just because you're a bit over "chunky" doesn't mean you have to get antsy with me for bothering to exercise more. I'm also "overweight" on a BMI chart – just not packing a bit too much insulation like you.

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe I am not njee enough.

I like that, has a real ring to it! You're clearly not, whether it's a good thing or not, but we do appear to be rather different!

I don't want to have two arguments in one thread, I'll get a reputation, but Matt you really are far too full of yourself! The fact that you won one of their 'triathlons' whilst clearly having time to change in full goes a fair way to show the level of competition! Don't say it was technical either, as I've said in the past, I've done one of their events, a) it was attrocious and b) it was the worst 'MTB' course ever.

You also look a bit chunky yourself to be honest in those photos. I'd suggest that you ought to take notice of the 'overweight' moniker.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

njee – you have the physique of a young boy. You also did EnduranceLife's worst event and you didn't even do very well – so how on earth can you comment? You didn't do the course I did did you? You didn't have to wait while three people needed emergency treatment from crashing did you? You didn't have to cross streams, bogs, do a number of drops, big climbs, etc did you? You have no idea do you? So why comment? You "race" around Surrey after all.

Chunky? Oh do give me a break. It's called going to the gym – something you have clearly never done yourself. I also place well in 10k trail running races (usually top 10 or even top 5) – do you? Can you do that and be "chunky?" Yes you are probably fit but I hazard a guess that you have the upper body strength of a flu ridden OAP.

And calling me full of myself? Jesus another case of

kettle

pot

black

Get back to your gently sloping countryside and into your women's clothes. And stop following me around like some wierd obsessed nutter.

Any more around?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Juan – on that day I did indeed have a rucksac – out in the big mountains on a day with distinctly indifferent weather – fleece and waterproof absolutely essential as was a full first aid kit.

I'd much rather not carry a rucsac and probably do for only a few rides a year – but sometimes that extra kit is essential.

Another point you make Juan – if you have a decent saddle and a well broken in arse than the padding in a pair of lycra shorts is superfluous as well – many a thousand mile without a padded short with never a sore arse over decades.

far too much of this is about fashion and about having all the right gear. Lets face it most folk here are out a couple of times a month for a couple of hours around the local woods.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Baggies seem ideal to me for mountain biking (although below 5 degrees or so i prefer bib tights) but lycra for road bikes is much more comfortable particularly if spending more than a couple of hours in the saddle. Not just at the arse either its the lack of something swishing about the thighs and things like that.

crikey
    Free Member

So a five page thread of existential angst about what to wear descends into bitch fighting about body shapes, but roadies are considered odd?
    Only on STW…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Crikey +1 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And Juan and I have not been as inflammatory as we might have been 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

njee most certainly started the body shape bit.

Again.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So – is njee tronguy is disguise?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I reckon so.

njee20
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member

Oh god you're boring

Pot kettle black.

Realman weighs about 3 grams and gets blown over by someone sneezing. I don't.

Just because you're a bit over "chunky" doesn't mean you have to get antsy with me for bothering to exercise more. I'm also "overweight" on a BMI chart – just not packing a bit too much insulation like you.

Are you illiterate? You wrote this.

I don't need to 'follow you around' you knob, you shout about all of your 'achievements' constantly! The fact you know that I did badly in the 'tri' I did suggests that you've actually bothered to look, you've repeated the fact you won in several threads. Sounds to me like you're the stalking type. Bit sad really!

To be honest, the course as you describe it sounds exactly like the one I did, atrocious. As you have no other experience of racing whatsoever, I'll take your opinion with a pinch of salt, sure you won't mind! I'm sure you're a better runner than me, I'm crap, happy to admit that, sadly I really don't give a shit, and I do worry about your constant need to boast and get 'one up' on absolutely everyone.

You must have a really really REALLY small penis, and I feel sorry for you. It does explain the reticence around wearing lycra though.

crikey
    Free Member

Perhaps you could both get a room?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Resorting to small penis comments – pretty impressive debating skills you have there njee – I suggest you avoid a career in law.

Well that's that sorted then – job done.

As you were lads (and any ladies who 9)% of the time look fantastic in lycra).

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 256 total)

The topic ‘Are Roadies Odd?’ is closed to new replies.