Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 256 total)
  • Are Roadies Odd?
  • sputnik
    Free Member

"Are Roadies Odd? "
    No, they are pretty normal.

njee20
    Free Member

But you could carry 2 tubes, a pump and a waterproof in your pockets, that's what I don't really get, why carry a huge Camelbak? There are smaller bags with the same water capacity, don't you find the big bag restrictive?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Climbs can be 'enjoyed'/'fun' if you're fit/fast enough for them. Talking as someone who was and didn't mind them but isn't fit now and now dislikes them intensely I know what I'm on about

Talking as someone who wasn't and minded them but is now and likes them intensely, he's right. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I like a decent climb, not too steep, just one you can sit and turn a decent gear!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I like a decent climb, not too steep, just one you can sit and turn a decent gear!

Aye, the Whites level climb is a real grin inducer for me.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Perhaps he just likes to wear remotely normal clothes when in public?

But he's riding a bike, he's not doing any stops for the pub/cafe/shops so what is the point.

See, you forget that the road is a public place too

njee20
    Free Member

Aye, the Whites level climb is a real grin inducer for me.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

See, you forget that the road is a public place too

See my comment about what people think of you, to the public, you look stupid either way!

backhander
    Free Member

Overtaking numpties on 5" trail bikes with those silly adjusty seatposts on a racey hardtail is brilliant.

BBBRRRRIIINNNNGGG. that's your alarm clock, that is.
    But seriously, they may be on their 2nd lap or ride.
    WGAF about all of this? wearing baggies on a road bike is no worse than wearing lycra on a MTB. Wear what you want, ride what you want and carry what you want. Just mind your own f***ing business what other people do.

juan
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing to stop you being the same on a MTB, Camelbacks are not compulsory I haven't used one in years

Well, where do you put:
    waterproof, small fleece, mutli-tool, spare tubes, tyres levers, knee pads, puncture kit, small length of chain, cosmo-blanket and a whistle without a camel back?

And expect for the comso-blanket I have used all the above on various rides (fleece and waterproof 3 days ago actually).

EDIT and to carry food too, you don't see that many café on a donkey path…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Well, where do you put:
    waterproof, small fleece, mutli-tool, spare tubes, tyres levers, knee pads, puncture kit, small length of chain, cosmo-blanket and a whistle without a camel back?

If required a waterproof will fold down in my jersey pocket, spare tubes, tyre levers – jersey pocket, if a long ride smsll length of chain and some spare pads – jersey pocket, knee pads – no use for them, fleece – never wear one and WTF do I want a whistle for? In 10 years of riding I have never once felt the need to blow a whistle

And food (usually flap jack) – guess where – jersey pocket.

That's why road jerseys with rear pockets are so damn good.

will
    Free Member

Went on the road bike on saturday, wearing a peaked helmet (oo err) and a camelback. Was cycling from Nottingham to Sheffield so wanted some reserves when not near the shops/cafe etc…
    It is then completely irrelevant that I forgot to pack food and almost died on Beely Moor 😆
    I also still got nods/said hello to other roadies!

However on a bike I will never ride with a bag unless it's a long ride, they annoy me too much! And like others have said for a short/medium ride you can put everything you need in you pockets.

oldgit
    Free Member

Gels go up your shorts.

njee20
    Free Member

So you carry all that, but no way of inflating your tyres? Looks like I'm more self sufficient than you Juan.

As Kingtut said, and as I've said in the past, I make a value judgement about what to carry, and see absolutely no point in carrying a whistle, a fleece, knee pads, a puncture kit, or a cosmo-blanket. I don't actually own any of those things.

It's daylight anyway, shouldn't you be out doing your daily 8353 mile ride up Everest without oxygen and no front wheel just to make it harder for yourself?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

Gels go up your shorts.

And the same to you.

juan
    Free Member

Well i do carry a pump I just forget about it. Dear njee, considering that I was already mtbing while you were still w@nking over the lingerie pages of an argos catalogue and that I live on the Alps I think I am a bit better than you at arguing what is usefull on a MTB ride. No later that a month ago, I had a mate from the UK visiting me. Guess what, although he won the gorrick sport category, he manage to found use for knee pads, elbow pads and the whistle (this as to do with the wind blowing hard and you crashing). Maybe you're so damn good (after all from what you're saying seems to me that you should already be a pro rider) that you've never had a mechanical, but in real life I'd rather carry an extra something than walking several hours back to the car.
    Kingust I guess you'll need to experiment going from 30°C to less than ten within minutes to guess the usefulness of a fleece (actually it even happened to me in the UK).

pypdjl
    Free Member

But you could carry 2 tubes, a pump and a waterproof in your pockets, that's what I don't really get, why carry a huge Camelbak?

Pump is a mountain morph, so don't think it would fit in a pocket! I'm not convinced a smaller camelbak + jersey pockets is really much of an improvement over just a bigger bag, but I will experiment…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Kingust I guess you'll need to experiment going from 30°C to less than ten within minutes to guess the usefulness of a fleece (actually it even happened to me in the UK).

Maybe, CBA though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

See my comment about what people think of you, to the public, you look stupid either way!

Indeed, and I'd rather look stupid and ne efficient on the bike than look stupid and have flapping shorts and a bag full of useless kit.

clubber
    Free Member

But you could carry 2 tubes, a pump and a waterproof in your pockets, that's what I don't really get, why carry a huge Camelbak?

I'd always ride with bottle(s) on the frame and stuff in my pockets by preference. However, there are two main reasons why I rarely do (offroad) – first getting bottles covered in mud/dog egg/crap/etc isn't particularly pleasant and a good route to a dose of the squits. Second, on anything longer than a couple of hours, I need more than a couple of bottles of water (and on my mtbs they only have bosses for one cage)

OmarLittle
    Free Member

even when just carrying the basics on my mtb i find it to be less of a burden carrying stuff like phone, tube, pump, multitool etc in a camelbak than having pockets loaded up with all the stuff. On a road bike i prefer it the other way around though!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have not read the whole thread but I am with kingtut ove rr the camelback thing – most MTBers carry ludicrous amounts of stuff.

Me – water – in bottle on frame, pump – on a frame clip, multitool / tube / puncture kit / spares in seatpouch. Food in jersey pockets as does a waterproof if i carry one – which I don't often do. Never needed more than this in decades of riding

I do occasionally carry a rucksac if going out into the wilds or riding in winter but I would much rather not do so.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Second, on anything longer than a couple of hours, I need more than a couple of bottles of water.

I guess it's down to individual need, I've ridden Skyline on 2 bottles in the Summer, although it wasn't that warm TBH.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Well you don't carry cake with you, you stop to eat cake and have some banter!

Eh? Sometimes there is no room for the pump or any water in the camelbak due to cake. Anyone not carrying cake on the Salisbury ride will be poked with a sharp stick and then flung from the Cathedral spire.

*this post contains several lies*

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Indeed, and I'd rather look stupid and ne efficient on the bike than look stupid and have flapping shorts

Fair enough, though many of us are happy trading that 2mph for not having to wear tights in public.

Surfr
    Free Member

Juan:

Well i do carry a pump I just forget about it. Dear njee, considering that I was already mtbing while you were still w@nking over the lingerie pages of an argos catalogue and that I live on the Alps I think I am a bit better than you at arguing what is usefull on a MTB ride.

Just wanted to save that playground rebuttal for posterity.
    😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I'd hardly call a Camelbak Mule "huge." Unless it's full (rarely) I don't even know I have it on. It means I can carry a proper pump, decent multitool and all the other bits and bobs I need for a basic trail repair – and I've used them a few times and been very chuffed I've had them.

I'd be surprised if my pack weighs more than a kg and I'd rather have weight on myself than on my bike most of the time with an MTB.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I carry a pump, drinks bladder, tube, puncture kit, tool kit, spare mech hanger, spare cable, bit of old tyre, waterproof if it looks like rain, simple first aid kit, car keys, phone and food.

I have used all of this stuff over the years and I think it's the bare minimum, it does all fit in a little race pack I bought years back and I barely notice I'm wearing it.

I have never needed to walk back to the car!

oldgit
    Free Member

I can't find the lingerie in my Argos catalogue. 😐

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fair enough, though many of us are happy trading that 2mph for not having to wear tights in public.

I presume you mean longs. But anyway have you actually ridden on the road in baggies in the pissing rain and a soaking wet rucksack on your back?

njee20
    Free Member

Juan, you really do need to find a new drum to bang. Or do something useful and get a job.

I live on the Alps I think I am a bit better than you at arguing what is usefull on a MTB ride

No, you're better at stating what's useful for a ride in the Alps. That's not really the situation most of us are in. You're not better at arguing, because your grammar is often crap, I have to think twice about what it is you're actually saying! You also don't argue, you tell.

Guess what, although he won the gorrick sport category, he manage to found use for knee pads

What the **** has his riding history got to do with anything!? Of course there's a case for knee pads, to suggest that I'm a better rider than many of the top downhillers in the world would be absurd, I just don't really see the point in the majority of locations.

Apologies people, as you were. Feel free to tell me what a hypocritical cock I am!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

I can't find the lingerie in my Argos catalogue.

No but you used to get a naked women obscured by frosted glass in the shower door section..

**fap fap**

oldgit
    Free Member

That'll do me 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I presume you mean longs. But anyway have you actually ridden on the road in baggies in the pissing rain and a soaking wet rucksack on your back?

Many many times. And?

Baggies (Endura Singletracks) are near enough waterproof as is the Camelbak.

njee20
    Free Member

Serious question… what do baggies actually offer over lycra? Is it just looking more 'normal'? I can sort of understand the fact they offer a mite more protection off road, but what about on road?

I did win a nice pair of Fox baggies a few weeks ago, which I guess I'll try, I just really don't see the point personally, even off road.

clubber
    Free Member

Looking more normal and they're more crash resistant.

Oh and they're more water resistant than lycra alone. I'll wear baggies if it's really wet out.

I'm sure someone will come up with much better, more spurious reasons though 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

They just look a bit more like normal human clothing.

njee20
    Free Member

Really? But they just soak up the water? I'd far rather just wear lycra if it's wet, unless it's cold as well, in which case I'd sooner wear waterproof over shorts or something.

Maybe I'll get my baggies out for the STW Surrey Hills ride on Sunday and see what the fuss is about!

mogrim

I understand baggies are better if you're lacking in the trouser department, or worried about your sexuality.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

njee – its more about lack of confidence / not needing the eye bleach / fashion.

If you see fat middleaged men in lycra you will understand. Or those smuggling budgies.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Look how efficient they all look!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 256 total)

The topic ‘Are Roadies Odd?’ is closed to new replies.