Home Forums Chat Forum Are car auctions trade only these days?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Are car auctions trade only these days?
  • I bought a few cars from auction about 10 or 12 years ago. Tried to get one from auction during Covid, and it had gone trade only. Was there a law change, or did the car traders get annoyed with Normy Punters like me competing with them? Scottish Central Belt if that helps…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Most sites I frequent are open to the public. I guess some went Trade Only to discriminate themselves from the detritus on eBay.

Are you after a ‘normal’ car or something more interesting?

grimep
    Free Member

I think BCA went trade only, they also went pretty much online only during and after covid

tthew

Didn’t BCA start one of those big online only suppliers – Cazoo? (or is that the one that went bust) That’s probably where they want the retail customers to go.

5lab
    Free Member

if you sell to the “public” you have certian obligations around SOGA (or whatever its called) to ensure the car is of reasonable quality/doesn’t have issues for 6 months. Auction houses don’t have the profit margin to achieve that, so they sell trade only and let the trader whack the margin on/take the risk.

CountZero

Didn’t BCA start one of those big online only suppliers – Cazoo? (or is that the one that went bust) That’s probably where they want the retail customers to go.

I used to work for BCA, as a logistics driver; because of Covid and distancing, they set up an online system for the public to buy refurbished cars, which is Cinch. It’s much easier to refurbish the better quality cars then sell them directly, pushing the poorer quality ones through the trade auctions

Cazoo, who I also worked for, were a brilliant company, but their boss made a big mistake and expanded far too rapidly into Europe, not foreseeing the squeeze on wages and car sales slowing. It’s a shame, they really looked after their staff, and the cars they sold were good quality, and well refurbished, I saw them being worked on every day. I’d possibly still be working for them now, otherwise; they’d inherited a contract for AA/BSM learner driver schools, we put the dual control systems into brand new cars, applied all the vinyl graphics, which is what I did, then de-commissioned them afterwards. Great job, that, I absolutely loved what I was doing.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Before Covid, BCA were giving significant discounts to their trade account customers.

As a member of the public it wasn’t a level plating field.

That’s helpful – thank you.

I’m just after a ULEZ compliant estate for lugging bikes and dogs, as cheaply as I can reasonably manage.

Looks like cars on Autotrader are a lot cheaper in the north of England than they are up here – I guess no ULEZ on the cards on Manchester or Newcastle?

Looks like auctions are a thing of the past for me.

butcher

I guess no ULEZ on the cards on Manchester or Newcastle?

Newcastle city centre has had ULEZ for a while now.

I think Manchester do too?

Car prices are absolutely mental all round. Every couple of months I have a peek and very quickly lose interest.

Drac

Newcastle doesn’t effect private vehicles.

Countzero what do you think of Cinch’s cars?

the-muffin-man

Car prices are absolutely mental all round.

Dealer over the road from me seems to be getting a few more ‘that’d be worth a punt’ priced cars in. They seem to be creeping down for older stuff.

grimep
    Free Member

Car prices are absolutely mental all round. Every couple of months I have a peek and very quickly lose interest.

Imagine what will happen when new ICE vehicle sales are banned in a few years time. Private transport will be the preserve of the rich

Drac

I’d imagine that they’ll be little difference.

fossy

No ULEZ in Manchester yet, and most petrol cars in last 20 years are ULEZ compatible. Won’t apply to private cars in Manchester if it ever comes in.

butcher

Newcastle doesn’t effect private vehicles.

Really? They’re not very vocal about that. I’ve been checking I’ve been compliant whenever I’ve drove in.

matt_outandabout

Countzero what do you think of Cinch’s cars?

We bough the Fabia from them.
    Exactly as described, they even put new brakes on front above what the advert showed.. We had the window switch pack in and they organised warranty fix with main dealer easily.
    Just had it in for its first service with our garage – who commented what a nice clean car it is with FSH.
    I would again.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Really? They’re not very vocal about that. I’ve been checking I’ve been compliant whenever I’ve drove in.

It’s on their website

newcastle.gov.uk/our-city/transport-improvements/transport-and-air-quality/newcastle-and-gateshead-clean-air-zone

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.