Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)
  • Are birkenstock sandals…
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

ADH, so do I. 🙂 Need a decent tan to carry them off though! (Tick)

Another thought: Why would anyone take advice on sandals from someone living in Scotland? What do they know about good weather? 😉

binners

brassneck – Merrel sandals are indeed the worst. They’re great to wear, but after a week or so, I started getting discreet inquiries from wotsisface I’madinnerjacket about use in their chemical weapons programme 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Deck shoes are ok, if they’ve clearly been worn on deck ie You’re a ‘rah’. Ask Flashy, he puts his in sink full of salt water for a few months before wearing his.

Whatever you do, do not buy ‘action’ sandals… so, so, sooooo lame.

binners

What on earth are ‘action’ sandals? isn’t that an oxymoron? Sounds like there may be dogging connotations?

Mmmmmmmmmm deck shoes

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PP – oh dear oh dear – they are loafers not deck shoes.
    *shakes head sadly*
    I would never wear a check shirt but I always tuck a shirt in when wearing long trousers – but then I do have a waist 🙂
    BTW – hardly a cloud in the sky here today. Its nearly 30 degrees in my flat and I am naked to avoid heatstroke

Anna-B
    Free Member

cheap rubber flip flops are horrid…… I’m into the expensive (for flip flops!) ones.. new pair navy and bright pink and have arch support…comfortable and smart enough for work!

The original question….. Birkenstocks are great and look good on men any age, as do flip flops.

molgrips
    Free Member

I always tuck a shirt in when wearing long trousers

I think we can safely discount TJ’s contributions to this thread. Even more than we already were 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

Trainers, work shoes, going out shoes, flip flops.

These are all the shoes a man possibly needs.

Hobby shoes are not listed as they are an accessory (golf, bike, etc)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you dress like Clarkson Molgrips? 🙄 – always tuck your shirt in

McHamish
    Free Member

BTW – hardly a cloud in the sky here today. Its nearly 30 degrees in my flat and I am naked to avoid heatstroke

TJs on chatroulette!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got some panama jack leather flip flops… they’re amazing.

Walk around Oxford or Cambridge and you’ll see plenty of deck shoes… normally paired with a rugby shirt.

Action sandals are those ridiculous things… you know a fabric jesus creeper with a sporty trainer like sole… almost as hideous as crocs and every bit as unstylish. edit Binners… this is me, there’re always dogging connotations.

molgrips
    Free Member

Always tuck my shirt in? Wtf?

You want me to look like this?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – oh dear oh dear – they are loafers not deck shoes.

No. WRONG. They DECK SHOES. Do you DARE to argue with the mighty GOOGLE??? Check that link I posted. Go on, I double dare you to risk proving yourself wrong!

First hit for ‘deck shoes’

First hit for (mens) loafers:

Not only are you talking carp, you have your definitions WRONGGGGGGGG! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dinnae care what google says – thats a loafer and your second link is dead.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I like “action” sandals too, but they have to be Teva. I never wear mine unless I’m abroad in a hot place though…..practical for exploring! Tevas also look good on men…..particularly with brown legs/feet.

corroded
    Free Member

Birkies are cool and always will be. The deck shoes that one sees the young people of London (and my Dad) sporting are a fad. Birkies look good, are super comfortable, durable and made in EU of natural materials. What are totally unacceptable, whatever your age, are those action sandals from Merrell, Keen, Teva etc.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Christallmighty that’s some horrid footwear I just posted there. My apologies to all of you who mhave seen them, I’ll pass this round when I’m finished:

headfirst
    Free Member

Thank you Anna B, you’ve made my day. All doubt has now faded. 🙂

EDIT: Re. birkenstocks, NOT action sandals!

McHamish
    Free Member

“action” sandals

Can you get tiny little ones for action men dolls?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dinnae care what google says

So, after being proven wrong, TJ adopts this position

😀

EDIT

PMSL – He’s even wearing LOAFERS in that pic! Classic! 😀

McHamish
    Free Member

Are we seriously going to start argueing about the classification of shit shoes?

Some of you guys really need more hobbies!

headfirst
    Free Member

Can’t see if his shirt is tucked for positive identification purposes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are we seriously going to start argueing about the classification of shit shoes?

Damn straight I am. I’m winning and he knows it! 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Okay, so AnnaB has just taken herself off of the list of people who are making a worthy stylish contribution.

You will never catch one of those fit lasses that work in fashion retail wearing ‘action’ sandals. They are so hideous and pointless it is untrue.

Anyone got any mind bleach?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Salomon RX Moc’s 8)

binners

Anna B. You are indeed a woman of taste. I’ve just bought a pair of Tevas. They’re ace. Unfortunately the ‘brown legs/feet’ combination isn’t working as i have a ‘delicate English Rose’ complexion (lobster) and ‘special’ toes 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why not McHamish ?

These are deck shoes

canvas, rubber sole for grip, rubber around the welt to stop wear / scuffing

binners

Shimano SPD sandal anyone?

TJ – surely they’re for the under 5’s?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

they need to be navy blue or black tho.

leather shoes can never be deck shoes

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Pleeeeeassseee… binners STOP IT!

I’ve only just eaten and I’m struggling to hold it down!

ransos
    Free Member

I am getting through my 3rd pair over the last 5 years or so.

You think that wearing out 3 pairs in 5 years is a good thing? Sheesh.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TJ. You’re wrong.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

These are deck shoes

Identical in style to the ones I posted. But worse looking thanks to the gopping colours.

deck shoe(deck shoe)
    noun
    a flat canvas or leather shoe with rubber soles.

Thanks for finally admitting I’m right. I accept your apology in advance. 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

The original question….. Birkenstocks are great and look good on men any age, as do flip flops.

Nice one Anna. Not sure about the Birkenstocks but these represent 98% of my footwear from May to end of September when I’m not biking – amazingly comfy and last well also.
    Fancy some of these for sailing but seem a bit pricey.

Binners: just seen you’re a convert too 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Need a decent tan to carry them off though! (Tick)

Nice one PP.

Unfortunatly I have a typical cyclist’s tan: crude oil colour forearms and legs, twinned with dazzlingly white feet, white hands and a white midriff. Borders between brown and white are instantaneous, due to the liberal overapplication of lycra.

Maybe the amazing zebra-man look detracts from the middle class fashion horror show?

Cougar

I’m now strongly leaning towards a pair like the ones on the right in this picture

The ones in the middle are what I have on my feet right now. I use them in the house instead of slippers.

First hit for ‘deck shoes’

I think you’ll find they’re moccasins.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh no PP – they ones you posted are not the same – leather, no rubber welt, not deck shoes.

Its subtle but important differnce.

McHamish
    Free Member

These are leather and have rubber shoes, unfortunately they aren’t flat…are they a kind of deck shoe, or do all three characteristics have to be met?

Anna-B
    Free Member

LOL I love STW shoe arguments! Deck shoes….. whatever they look like are probably classed as sporting accessory, and therefore only ok on a boat.

PPs right though, you MUST cut your toe nails if you’re going to bare your toes. I don’t even wanna think about long toe nails, let alone see them.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Are birkenstock sandals…’ is closed to new replies.