• This topic has 108 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Missing on the West Highland Way: Davey the dog
  • Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Is there a market for doggie “trackers”?

Would dog owners pay to have a pet “tracked”?

Just sensing a business idea here, and sorry to hijack a thread. Or is there an obvious problem?

totalshell

got to say i’m fairly familiar with the whw at this point . the mamore road is mostly over open fells so i cant see how if under control even observation a dog could run off and be unseen?

donsimon
    Free Member

Would dog owners pay to have a pet “tracked”?

Just sensing a business idea here, and sorry to hijack a thread. Or is there an obvious problem?
    I think you?ll find I already have the idea, but feel free to offer me a commission if you want to take it on. 😉

geoffj

Yes

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=209

Northwind

davidrussell – Member

would you make such jokes about a missing child?

Well purely coincidentally, I found a little dog on the west highland way at the weekend and I was keeping him in the cellar, but the little bugger keeps biting Maddy.

Joking aside I hope he’s found, no dogs aren’t children but why does that matter?

Dair
    Free Member

Davey has been located, but he is seriously spooked and won’t go to anyone. Unfortunately, the owner is no longer in the area, but a dog warden is going to try and trap him.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

COME ON DAVEY!!!

nickf
    Free Member

Good news that he’s been found.

One of mine ran off last year, and we didn’t get her back for 5 days. It took several months before she was entirely back to normal.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nice one. Hope the dog warden is successful ……..I’m sure with a bit of patience they will be 8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Great news.

Pauly

Glad to hear it. Must be a relief for the owners.

anagallis_arvensis

keep us updated, we’re rooting for you little fella

Dair
    Free Member

The weather seems to be both a help and a hinderance. On the one hand, it is hampering search parties, but, on the other hand, it is more likely to drive Davey to shelter. And hopefully towards the traps set by the dog warden.

His owners are starting to lose hope that he can be brought in safely. They reckon the only way he’ll be caught is if he’s shot.

What a nightmare.

wwaswas

could the owners not go back and get him if it’s known pretty much where he is?

He;s more likely to come to them if called than anyone else?

bullheart
    Free Member

Davey has been located, but he is seriously spooked and won’t go to anyone. Unfortunately, the owner is no longer in the area, but a dog warden is going to try and trap him

But the owners are on their way up there now, right?

BoardinBob

They reckon the only way he’ll be caught is if he’s shot.

WTF?

So the choices are catch him or kill him?

duntstick
    Free Member

A friend lost a Jack Russell up in the hills near us, no sign of her for 28 days, she was only a scratty little thing when she got back and very nervous for a while. She ended up being found, rooting in someone’s bin.

Sounds like he’ll be fine, hope the weather picks up

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

They reckon the only way he’ll be caught is if he’s shot.
    WTF?

So the choices are catch him or kill him?

Eeejit, they shoot him with a harpoon so they can pull him in! It doesn’t kill them much.

Dair
    Free Member

Unfortunately, the owners have had to go back to work, but one of the owner’s dad, who is very well known to the dog, is still in the area.

The dog warden is recommending that nobody, including the owner, tries shouting for him, because this will just increase his state of alarm. He is unlikely to go to anyone until he feels a bit more secure. Ironically, the recent attempts to catch him may have made the situation worse. I think it is now a case of being patient.

bullheart
    Free Member

Unfortunately, the owners have had to go back to work, but one of the owner’s dad, who is very well known to the dog, is still in the area

No disrespect to your friends, but if it were my dog, and he’d been located, I’d have taken time off work to go and get him. Odd. 😕

toppers3933
    Free Member

quite agree with bullheart. if it were my dog, id never have left! work can stick it up their arse. but then thats just me.

edit: but i really hope this ends well. poor little fella.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I sort of think I’d be on my way too. 😐 As much for my own sanity as to save a load of people who could be helping others some time.

CheesybeanZ

Eeejit, they shoot him with a harpoon so they can pull him in! It doesn’t kill them much.

charlie that`s made my day 😛 😆

Dair
    Free Member

No disrespect to your friends, but if it were my dog, and he’d been located, I’d have taken time off work to go and get him. Odd.

They had. A whole week. Unfortunately, they both do heavilly regulated shift work. More time off would have meant P45. I think that would just have made a bad situation worse!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thats good news that he’s been located, can they not feed him drugged meat like in Ferris Beuler’s Day Off??

Dair
    Free Member

I seem to remember that didn’t work out too well for Ed Rooney!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

They had. A whole week. Unfortunately, they both do heavilly regulated shift work. More time off would have meant P45. I think that would just have made a bad situation worse

Anyone else still thinking this is the same as losing a child?

Woody
    Free Member

His owners are starting to lose hope that he can be brought in safely. They reckon the only way he’ll be caught is if he’s shot.

They want to re-word the ‘lost ad’ then to only being payable if he was returned alive and well

I’m amazed that shooting him is even being considered – it’s a small domestic dog FFS not the Beast of Bodmin on steroids 🙄

Gary_M
    Free Member

I seem to remember that didn’t work out too well for Ed Rooney!

Worked out okay for Alberto contador though.

Anyone else still thinking this is the same as losing a child?

No I wouldn’t think so.

Hope the wee dug comes home.

Dair
    Free Member

I’m assuming they plan on shooting him with a tranquilizer dart, but I may be wrong!

“Anyone else still thinking this is the same as losing a child?”

Perhaps not from the perspective of an employer considering grounds for compassionate leave, no.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m assuming they plan on shooting him with a tranquilizer dart,

That’s insane! Those things travel pretty fast and would hit with some impact. Couldn’t they just a get a darts team from the local pub or something, to throw the darts at him. Maybe get Wolfie down there, the darts player obviously, not Citizen Smith.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

**** work – I’d phone in sick and go and get the thing if it means that much to them

thats just me though

duntstick
    Free Member

It’s hungry and miserable and they want to knock it down with a dart.

Haha, they’ve given that some thought!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I TOLD you, drugged meat is the way forward!

Dair
    Free Member

The net is closing in. Your number’s up, Davey!

giantonagiant

Did they get the wee fella!?

Hope so.

NZCol

We were biking up in glencoe in 1989 and a dog appeared at our rough camp. dunno how long it had been out there but I was firked, had a collar on though. When we packed up to leave it was still there so it was paper rock scissors for who carried it. Got out the kings house and rang the number. Had been in there for a month, dropped it off on the way home. Bottle of good malt and case of beer for our trouble from a weeping owner (man). Nice.

sharkbait
    Free Member

A fox trap would help – just catches it in a box. Hope they get Davey back fine

duckman

Any update? Rooting for the owners.

Dancake
    Free Member

Bottle of good malt and case of beer for our trouble from a weeping owner (man). Nice

and you would get the same from me. Before my Son was born 3 years ago, the dogs were everything to us..They still are but the perspective has shifted.

There is no need to get offended by the apparent “heartless” responses. I have a good mate who cannot comprehend the whole love for animals thing. To him they are food or they do a job – nothing else . If you dont feel it you dont feel it I guess. Cruelty is different, but indeifference is normal, innit?

giantonagiant

Well!? Hoped to come in from work to a happy ending!

Any news?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Missing on the West Highland Way: Davey the dog’ is closed to new replies.