Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Are all maxles created equal?
  • northernmatt

Oddly not a reference to everyone seeming to break theirs this week.

I’ve stripped my Mondraker Dune down to replace the bearings. The rear triangle is currently QR but I have a 142×12 rear triangle that I’d like to fit. I don’t, however, have the maxle for it. I’ve looked on the Silverfish website and they list a genuine Mondraker one at £75. Do I have to buy this one or will any maxle do?

I’ve got to source a mech hanger as well. Mondraker ones are £20. Is there a cheaper alternative (BETD?)?

nickdavies

There’s 3 standards of 142×12 I think, E-thru, Syntace X12 and Maxle. Hubs crossover fine but i’m pretty sure the axles don’t. You need to find out which system it is, then get the appropriate axle.

Whichever one it is, DT swiss do a £25 RWS for it. You could maybe buy all 3 from CRC and send 2 back?

northernmatt

Well I was looking at this one but I’ve just noticed it states 135×12 which has confused me even more. I’ll have to measure it and make sure, failing that I’ll email Silverfish, they should know, hopefully!

nickdavies

The only reference to the dune I could find was 135×12 – nothing about the newer ones it just says DT RWS so I assumed you knew it was 142. Is it definitely 142? Silverfish probably your best shout.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

This came up a few months ago and I had been digging around looking for something similar so I will quote the results that I posted in the earlier thread..

As far as I can tell there are 3 142×12 ‘standards’ for axles.

The Syntace X12 system which is what the DT RWS axle is.
    Shimano ‘E-thru’
    SRAM Maxle

X12 has a finer thread pitch and a tapered cone on the QR end that locates the axle in the dropout.
    Shimano’s system is the same thread pitch as X12 but has a flat collar on the QR side and may or may not use a securing nut at the threaded end.
    The Maxle thread is much coarser than the other 2, has a flat collar around the QR and no securing nut on the other end.

They all seem to perform pretty similarly but are all mutually incompatible (gotta love industry standards huh!). From my looking around at alternatives to the supplied axle for my Banshee Spitfire (Maxle standard) it seems the X12 system is currently the most popular with manufacturers. Unfortunately that means that the Maxle is the only real alternative axle that fits that particular standard I couldn’t find any reliably available others. YMMV.

The thread pitch is the main factor it seems, the Maxle thread is far coarser than the other 2 which seem to be either the same thread or at least very similar but there are differences at the other end.
    Having done a quick google for your bike I found a review of it on Pinkbike from Jan last year, the pic in that review is of a DT RWS axle which would indicate that the Mondraker uses the X12 standard, if so then any X12 axle will fit.

Hope that helps.

taxi25
    Free Member

I use frm bolt up through axles, when you find out what fits they should have one.
    http://frmbike.co.uk/x-country/components/thru-axles-and-q-r.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Are all maxles created equal?’ is closed to new replies.