Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Arch (or maybe Flow) EX & running them tubeless
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Reading mixed opinions on these rims. Looking at getting some Arch EX, or maybe Flow EX though I think they may be OTT for what I want (Hard Tail… XC & Trail, maybe a little more aggressive on occasion, but I’m hardly an aggressive rider even if I try 😀 . Not big hitting on it).

Various comments here just saying they’re great, make sure it has the yellow tape, add sealant, seat and off you go. Similar with the Flows.

Then I read other stuff like this and it’s all hate for them – http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/rant-converting-ztr-arch-ex-tubeless-847566.html

Which is it?

😀

Northwind

I think some people can’t be trusted to build a lego man, even with the instructions and a how to video. My Flow Ex is maybe just slightly less easy to seal than the old Flow, but still easy. And yep, just tape and a valve.

(I have not done an Arch Ex)

d45yth
    Free Member

Anyone who can’t setup Stan’s with the yellow tape method is an idiot – it’s as simple as that. 😀

vorlich
    Free Member

User error in that MTBR thread.

wwaswas

Specialized Purgatorys are a nightmare to get on the rim. Once fitted they’re fine but pray you don;t have a puncture that needs a tube.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Been using Maxxis Minions, HR, HR2 and Ardents on my Iodines and my ghetto’d old alexrims, and getting them on the rim has never really been a problem. The alexrims did need a bit more effort, but the Stans look like a lower profile so surely not so hard.

timmys

I bought my Flow EX from 18 bikes. Their prices include supply and fitting of the yellow tape + a small bottle of Stans. All I did was add tyre and sealant – was no different to the ‘proppa’ UST rims I was replacing.

bigjim

Specialized Purgatorys are a nightmare to get on the rim

Fine on Crests and Arches here

andymc06
    Free Member

Flow ex here. Currently got racing ralphs on. You can practically put them on without levers and they went up first time with a track pump. No issues at all.

cakefacesmallblock

The only tyres I’ve struggled with on my arch rims are Shwalbe, actually they were a pain in the arse on my old Mavics too. I think it’s fair to say that this kinda issue causes brand hatred and someone always finds brand a works for them every time but someone always dis agrees.
    What I can say though is that in my case with a Maxxis High Roller ( front ) and Maxxis Beaver rear combo this summer, both fitted and inflated with zero issues. The High Roller had been on my old rim previously and the Beaver was straight out of the box. No messing with the tape, just fit the valves , tyres on, add sealant, brush soapy water round the rims and inflate.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Arch Ex here, no issues to report fitting tyres, not had them long so cant comment on durability.

New tyres are easier to fit if they’re initially fitted with tubes, inflated to there maximum recommended pressure and left 24hrs before fitting tubeless.

warpcow
    Free Member

Another happy tubeless Stan’s user here (Flow and Arch EX). Yeah, there are some tyres that take a bit more effort, but the majority of those “tubeless nightmare!” threads are started by people who shouldn’t be allowed near mechanical things.

stoney
    Free Member

Deadkenny!,What size are you going for, I have these 650b`s going cheap.

If you`re interested there are a few in the FS fourum, roughly 4 days ago now. OK, the tyres might not be to your liking but they are set up tubless and would get you on your way.

deadkenny
    Free Member

26″

650b was almost tempted but it’s a new frame and tyres as well and throws me into incompatibility with my full sus if I want to swap things over, so sticking with 26 for now.

What I’m looking for though is Arch / Flow, specifically with anything other that angry bee hive Hope hubs 😉

Loads of Hope Hoops about, but my hard tail has always been my stealth bike. Everything black on it, and the oem Formula hubs it’s been running were deadly silent. Annoys the hell out of pedestrians 😀 . I’d keep them except the front hub doesn’t take or convert to 15mm which I need.

Also a steel freehub ideally, otherwise it’ll be another bike I have to spend a fortune in bloody alloy carrier cassettes to avoid freehub chomping and other disintegration issues.

stoney
    Free Member

Ok, no probs. These are Sram XD anyway with Novatech hubs and allthough not as loud as Hope`s they have a “fairly” standard sound.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I don’t mind a bit of buzz. It’s just Hopes are too damn noisy for my liking 😀

But yeah, would have been interested if I was going for 650b. Cheers anyway.

therag
    Free Member

Arch ex. Great with maxxis but recently found that wtb don’t fit. Got a wtb vigilante on after 3 shifts of trying but don’t know how I’ll get it off. Cut off is looking likely.

Northwind

Folks struggling with tight tyres might want to try different levers, it makes a massive difference- I didn’t realise how much but just recently I tried to fit a tyre using my normal technique and a set of Pedros levers, the ones everyone likes… Wasn’t happening. Swapped over to my normal Lezynes, went on pretty much effortlessly. The hook of the lever is far thinner so the tyre has to “stretch” much less. I was pretty surprised…

therag
    Free Member

I emailed wtb who confirmed that they’re not compatible.

wallop

I have Flow EX on my FS, and Arch EX on my hardtail – both tubeless with Hans Dampfs/Ardents. My mechanic husband sets it up for me and I’ve not heard any complaints, so it must be fairly straightforward.

Both sets of wheels purchased ready-taped from 18 Bikes (thumbs up!).

simondbarnes

Folks struggling with tight tyres might want to try different levers, it makes a massive difference

People use levers to *fit* tyres?!?! Bonkers.

Scapegoat

Arch EX with Nic Snakeskin 2.2 and Flow with Nic Snakeskin 2.4. Both easy to fit, no levers required, just watch the video and use the well in the middle of the rim to seat the first side before trying to get the other side in.

It’s also worth noting that the codhead in the MTBR thread initially tries to “convert” his Stans rim to tubeless using a rim strip, then when he discovers that’s what is causing his problems he tries to seat the tyre with sealant already in.

I suspect he couldn’t be trusted to sit straight on a toilet seat.

fibre
    Free Member

Flows with Kenda Small Block 8, Nevegal – easy fit, sealed with a track pump.

Flows with Schwalbe Hans Dampf Super Gravity – Very tight but still fitted by hand, washing up liquid on the bead area and rim edge and strong thumbs. Sealed easily, over inflated to max pressure to stretch them out, went on easily next time.

Arch Ex with Bontrager XR1 – very easy fit and sealed easily with a track pump. 800 miles with no flats, plenty of punctures and thorns in there but not had to stop and fit a tube 🙂

Never used levers to fit tyres (only remove), I just make sure the tyre is in the central well of the rim (smaller wheel circumference), if needed use some soapy water to help with that last tricky bit. If they are a tough fit I inflate them to max pressure and leave them overnight to stretch the tyre\bead out to make it easier next time.

bullroar
    Free Member

My Tubeless curiosity got the better of me about a month back and I needed some new tryes anyway so got the tape, valves and sealant kit. Rims are Stans Flow EX with Hans Dampf. Front wheel a bit of a faff but relatively painless given it was the first go. Rear on the other hand was frigging nightmare and remains tubed; also worth noting I tried it on two different rims and with three different tyres.

However, on reading this thread, and having made some relatively complex lego models and not much liking being described as an idiot I ventured back to the shed.

I got an old Nukeproof generator rim and Bonty XR1 tubeless tyre. Yellow tape on rim, valve minus core in, tyre on, track pump attached. Up it goes no bother till about 45psi when the valve area leaked a bit. Deflate put in goo, fit core, pump up. All seems to be good in under 10 minutes. We’ll see if it holds overnight. I might have another go with the Flows’HD’s at the weekend.

Draw your own conclusions but on this,admittedly limited sample, I’d suggest the problem is not with the “idiot” operator. The other conclusion I draw is that it all seems a bit “hit and miss”.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cool. Cheers all.

I’ll take the plunge anyway and stick with the same Maxxis stuff that works on my old wheels.

Now I just need to find the wheels 🙂

18 Bikes looks okay, though comes up pricey.

Also looking at http://www.justridingalong.com which seems good with a lot of configurable options, though not heard of them. Prices are reasonable. Thinking of DT Swiss hubs of some sort (350?). Any good, and how noisy?

Or there’s Charlie, who has an Arch EX with Stans 3.30 hub. Not sure how good those hubs are and how noisy they are.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Arch (or maybe Flow) EX & running them tubeless’ is closed to new replies.