Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Arborists, top handle saw advice
  • scotsman
    Free Member

Since all the high winds lately I have a load of wind blown trees that I need to deal with, so a second saw to go with the husky 346xp is required, was thinking top handle Sthil MS200T, Husky 338xp, wont be used for climbing just for limbing and ground work etc. Is the MS200T worth the extra expense and is a top handle only really beneficial for climbing, was thinking the balance of a top handle would be good? Or just as well with a rear handle small saw for such duties.

Cheers.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

If your not climbing you do not need to use a saw 1 handed!

geoffj

What FF said. You only need a top handle saw if you are climbing really. Although they can be useful for dealing with hung up wind blown in tight spaces.

I believe the 200T has been replaced with a 201T, which has mixed reviews.

Personally, I’d just put a smaller bar on the 346xp.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Freeride_frankie +1

itstig

Reputable chainsaw dealers won’t(shouldn’t) sell you a top handle saw without proof of the correct cs tickets, cs39 I think. There is also a cs34 training for clearing wind blown trees, There can be a lot of tension in laid trees, be careful. Watch out for heavy root plates, trees can “right” themselves when limbs are cut off. If its just branches on the floor you already have a superb saw keep it sharp and you are away.

scotsman
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies chaps, I know all about the dangers of wind blown/hanging trees, don’t have CS certs but me old man is a farmer so obviously lived on the farm for years and hacked away at such problems for years, luickily have use of tractors and machinery to aid in the clearing of such problems, just looking for a good light weight saw for limbing and clearing and thought a top handle might be the way ahead, the 346 is a bit heavy for all day limbing even with a short bar on it.
    Dealers shouldn’t sell you them but when you know the dealer and have done for years I dought that will bother them, and even if it did the old man would just go and get it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Arborists, top handle saw advice’ is closed to new replies.