• This topic has 89 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Apple's CEO …
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

Have we done this

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/tim-cook-comes-out-as-gay-apple-ceo-publicly-addresses-sexuality-for-the-first-time-9828095.html

“I don’t consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I’ve benefited from the sacrifice of others. So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it’s worth the trade-off with my own privacy.”

Good man

woody2000

Whilst I applaud the sentiment, it’s bloody ludicrous that in the 21st century someone’s sexuality should be of any concern to anyone else. I just cannot grasp why it’s still such an issue for some people to accept that sexual relationships don’t have to be between a man and a woman.

Hey ho!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Woody, I agree fully with you, but sadly it is still the case. 🙁 Hence why so many sportspeople/politicians/business leaders etc feel a misplaced need to keep things secret.

They’re not the ones at fault, yet they’re the ones that cop the flak. It’s gradually improving (I hope), but we’re still a way off yet.

cookeaa

Good for him,

I’ll be honest though, I’m really not sure it matters a jot…

He essentially flogs computers and phones for a living, precisely why should I care if He forms a loving relationship with a Man, a Woman or a even pot plant?

Cougar

Whilst I applaud the sentiment, it’s bloody ludicrous that in the 21st century someone’s sexuality should be of any concern to anyone else. I just cannot grasp why it’s still such an issue for some people to accept that sexual relationships don’t have to be between a man and a woman.

Well said.

kcal

Hopefully it will help (though,m as above, it shouldn’t mater a damn either way).
    Only need to look at John Browne at BP (though that was slightly murkier background w.r.t. a court case as well).

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Different kettle of fish the other side of the pond (between the coasts anyway). Water off a ducks back over here mostly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yup, good for him. Unfortunately this sort of thing still seems to be considered “news”. Hopefully the more of these sorts of stories there are then the less people will care.

maccruiskeen

it’s bloody ludicrous that in the 21st century someone’s sexuality should be of any concern to anyone else

It is the 21st century but the 21st century is largely populated with people from the 20th century. Its great not to have care about these things but for that to be the case requires you to be able standing on the shoulders of people who had to care an awful lot.

Its apt, for instance, for the head of Apple to be able to say these things in the light of the plight of someone like Alan Turing. The difference between the world Turing inhabited and the one where Tim Cook can say what he has just said took pretty much Tim Cooks lifetime to happen.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll be honest though, I’m really not sure it matters a jot…

His sexuality matters not a jot, but him speaking publicly about it does. There are still people out there who make an issue out of it, and this is a good way to address this. The more people who are out, the more it is normalised (for those for whom it isn’t already) and the more acceptable it becomes. The CEO of a big company is in a position to talk without fear of reprisals, and it’ll get coverage, so it’s a good move.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The original article is worth 5 mins to read

Tim Cook for Bloomberg

Hats off to him for doing it, whilst we all hope it shouldn’t be necessary or even note-worthy to speak about it publicly it remains such that it is.

Jamie
    Free Member

Does this make all the Apple haterz homophobic, now?

Cougar

I suddenly understand why the Lightning connector fits both ways.

nullpointer
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/bP4hzbf3JWo[/video]

project
    Free Member

Well done that man, at Apple, i still want /cant afford to buy your overpriced products though.

lilchris
    Free Member

Whilst I applaud the sentiment, it’s bloody ludicrous that in the 21st century someone’s sexuality should be of any concern to anyone else

I agree with the sentiment, but I certainly don’t applaud it.

Why should he feel the need to broadcast it.
    Column inches? Apple got a new product out?

Cougar

To help normalise it and give confidence to others who might be nervous about coming out, perhaps?

lilchris
    Free Member

Seems like a song and dance to me.

BoardinBob

no kids, no animals.

Anything else is no one else’s business

jamj1974

In 2014 his sexuality should not matter – unfortunately it does still for some… Very brave of him to come out as a result.

grum
    Free Member

I find this a bit weird:

“among the greatest gifts God has given me”.

“Being gay has given me a deeper understanding of what it means to be in the minority and provided a window into the challenges that people in other minority groups deal with every day,” he writes.

“It’s made me more empathetic, which has led to a richer life. It’s been tough and uncomfortable at times, but it has given me the confidence to be myself, to follow my own path, and to rise above adversity and bigotry. It’s also given me the skin of a rhinoceros, which comes in handy when you’re the CEO of Apple.”

Sort of seems to be implying that gay people are superior.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sort of seems to be implying that gay people are superior!

Cougar

Maybe if you’re homophobic it does? I’m not seeing that at all (and what if it is?).

Seems to me to be implying that being in an oppressed minority gives you a different outlook on life.

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s not saying being gay makes him more empathetic – he’s saying that being part of a minority does. Which is fair enough I think. Doesn’t matter what that minority is but you have a different perspective.

And in some ways he can blend in with the majority too, because he’s white, and a male in a tech firm.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Among the greatest gifts God has given me

Just went down in my estimation. Always disappointing to find an obviously smart person believes in magic.

Cougar

White is a majority? In the UK / US perhaps, but not globally.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course.. but he’s an American in America isn’t he?

Always disappointing to find an obviously smart person believes in magic.

Always disappoint to see someone letting their own prejudice overrule actual evidence 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Maybe if you’re homophobic it does?

That’s quite an insulting thing to say and I’m really not sure where you’re getting that from.

It’s made me more empathetic, which has led to a richer life.

More empathetic than what/who? How does he know how empathetic he would be if he wasn’t gay? Richer life than who?

Seems to me to be implying that being in an oppressed minority gives you a different better outlook on life.

racefaceec90

you just have to read comments in youtube e.t.c to see that homophobia is very much alive (used as a form of insult to people e.t.c).

if it was the n word,then it would rightly be condemned,but anti gay sentiment is seen as fine by a lot of people.

respect to anyone who comes out,as it cannot be easy for some to do so.

grum
    Free Member

I just think it’s a weird thing to see your sexuality as a ‘gift’ and something to be proud of. Even if it’s a big part of who you are it’s just a quirk of genetics or whatever.

It’s like being proud of having a birthmark, or being tall.

I’m not even remotely homophobic – maybe this is just one of those things you don’t get being part of the majority.

Cougar

Of course.. but he’s an American in America isn’t he?

True enough.

Always disappoint to see someone letting their own prejudice overrule actual evidence

I think that’s what he was trying to say.

Cougar

That’s quite an insulting thing to say and I’m really not sure where you’re getting that from.

Seemed a bit of a bizarre conclusion to draw otherwise.

Seems to me to be implying that being in an oppressed minority gives you a different better outlook on life.

And? Maybe it does. Is that bad?

Cougar

I just think it’s a weird thing to see your sexuality as a ‘gift’ and something to be proud of. Even if it’s a big part of who you are it’s just a quirk of genetics or whatever.

It’s like being proud of having a birthmark, or being tall.

I’m proud of being left-handed, and Aspie. These things have shaped my life, and I feel that I’m better, and stronger, as a result. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

grum
    Free Member

Seemed a bit of a bizarre conclusion to draw otherwise.

You’re going to have to explain that one. Also a bit rich from someone who’s come out with borderline racist stuff on here before.

And? Maybe it does. Is that bad?

I think implying that any group is intrinsically better than any other is bad, yup.

CountZero

lilchris – Member
    Whilst I applaud the sentiment, it’s bloody ludicrous that in the 21st century someone’s sexuality should be of any concern to anyone else
    I agree with the sentiment, but I certainly don’t applaud it.
    Why should he feel the need to broadcast it.
    Column inches? Apple got a new product out?

Because of comments like yours, perhaps?
    As someone above said, he’s an American, CEO of one of the most valuable companies in the world, and many Americans have serious issues with his sexuality.

grum
    Free Member

As someone above said, he’s an American, CEO of one of the most valuable companies in the world, and many Americans have serious issues with his sexuality.

Yeah I applaud this bit of it and it’s ridiculous that it’s still even a potential issue. Just think he’s said some fairly odd things while doing it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just think it’s a weird thing to see your sexuality as a ‘gift’ and something to be proud of.

He’s not saying that. He’s saying membership of a minority group has given him insight.

Which is fair enough – I consider myself privileged to have had close friends and groups of friends from a wide variety of backgrounds, for similar reasons.

Cougar

You’re going to have to explain that one.

I thought I’d done that in the first post. I don’t see it at all, I don’t follow the logic where you think he’s implying that being gay is superior (and I really don’t see why it’s a problem that he’s proud of who he is).

Also a bit rich from someone who’s come out with borderline racist stuff on here before.

Excuse me?

grum
    Free Member

I thought I’d done that in the first post.

No – you haven’t explained anything, you’ve just insulted me without giving any reasoning at all.

Excuse me?

Some of the stuff you’ve said about Muslims on here is pretty unpleasant TBH. Basically that they should all have to prove that they aren’t terrorist sympathisers.

project
    Free Member

If by the apple CEO, declaring his sexuality openly, like all straight people do repeatedly, then just perhaps it may help and promote, a young person or mature married or single man to come to terms with their sexuality and not live a lie from their freinds.

Sexuality is no longer a crime, and shoouldnmt be used as a hate word,or a word to mean poor or pathetic, in the saying thats so gay.

But then some people who lead very sheltered lives being drip fed by the media, still think hommosexuality is the start of the failure of society as we know it, not just the beggining of an all inclusive society.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Apple's CEO …’ is closed to new replies.