Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 532 total)
  • Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

If it meant not needing to carry cards (or maybe just one just in case), that’d be a great.

As I said earlier in the thread, I’m fairly sure I’ll never buy an Apple product so I won’t be using iPay but this will force the alternatives (Wallet, etc) to up their game which is why what Apple does is always interesting.

zilog6128

FWIW I have started using NFC payments where I can after barman in pub pointed out that it’s more secure than chip/pin.

This is a very good point!

kimbers

Apple is very smart as for each payment they will get a fee from the card company and perhaps even from the app provider. Big $$$ potential.

and (more importantly?) all that precious information on your spending habits- see the addblocker thread

zilog6128

apparently not:

“Security is at the core of Apple Pay; but so is privacy. We are not in the business of collecting your data.” (Was that a shot at Google?)

When you go to a shop, Apple doesn’t get to know what you bought, how much you paid for it, or any other personal details.

andytherocketeer

the main thing about Apple NFC is the momentum.

it’s not just the US that’s already ahead of the game on the wallet side, but apparently even I can pay at any starbucks, Aral (BP I think) petrol station, every German Autobahn service area, plus an awful lot more, in Germany, right now.

Now I know it had NFC when I bought the phone, and I’m sure I’m not alone in not realising that I can just put my phone beside the Chip+PIN terminal right now and enter PIN, and that a bazilion terminals aer already NFC ready. There’s no logo that shouts out NFC. In fact it’s only since I got a V-Pay bank card that I even noticed the V-Pay logo on such terminals.

Jamie
    Free Member

Security is at the core of Apple Pay

I think JLaw might want a word.

muggomagic

Jamie – Freeloader!
    Security is at the core of Apple Pay
    I think JLaw might want a word.

POSTED 4 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Sometimes we have to think of the greater good.

rs
    Free Member

Personally, I can’t wait to look at the planets on my watch and send crap little pictures to my friends, that just made the watch look way too geeky, didn’t help having a bill gates lookalike presenting it. I might still get one for the fitness side though.

andytherocketeer

have a polar watch – never use it
    thought about a garmin watch – prolly never use it other than to record a ride/hike

might think about it when it’s a startrek next gen style communicator in clothing.

in the meantime I’ll tell the time on my G10, smug in the knowledge that the battery will probably still have enough juice to turn the hands tomorrow morning.

anyway… I’m off to the shops to see what logos I can spy on the PoS card terminals, in a country that apparently 30% of the population are NFC ready but are allergic to credit cards…

molgrips
    Free Member

Polar watch.. which one? For sale?

CountZero

How are they going to do that? It’s asymmetric, with the windy bit just above (on a left arm wrist) a button. Put it on the other arm and either you’ll be reaching across the watch face to use the controls, or if you turn it upside down the strap will be wrong, and the controls the other way up…

No it won’t. If you watched (ha!) the presentation, the straps and bracelets, unlike any other design out there, are easily removed and swapped round, you press a little button on the underside of the watch and the strap slides out of its slot, and locks in place when replacing it. Several of the straps and bracelets also don’t have catches or buckles, they lock closed with high-power magnets.
    Ideal for a south-paw. The Crown will be at the bottom of the case, instead of the top, which may even make it easier to use; in any case you can scroll or touch with just a fingertip.

kimbers

Jamie
    Free Member

That watch like device on Kirk’s arm, looks exactly like that watch like device on the left!

ZOMG!

*LIKES*

bikebouy
    Free Member

* wets pants at that image of Kirky

grantway
    Free Member

Wow 8 pages on a product thats not on the shelves yet

Jamie
    Free Member

Wow 8 pages on a product thats not on the shelves yet

Shit! Is there an embargo?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I know, I’ve tried again to log onto Apple store only to be met with:

“Bugger off you lot, now’ts available yet”

Or something similar.

How bloody rude of them. 😛

CountZero

😆 @ Bikebouy.

Cougar

the straps and bracelets, unlike any other design out there like every other watch in existence, are easily removed and swapped round,

A ‘which way up are you’ software setting is the real innovation there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well the Apple store now has iPhones for pre order on the 12th, available from the 19th Sept..

Expect queues longer than an iPsters satchel strap.

brassneck

So do all the telcos, signed up for Vodafone’s early warning.. though think last time f all happened with that.

Security is at the core of Apple Pay; but so is privacy. We are not in the business of collecting your data.” (Was that a shot at Google?)

That was indeed a wet fish slapped around Googles monetisation practices. I’m verboten by my employers for using a fair chunk of Googles toolset due to privacy concerns. Which is really annoying.

I was very ‘meh’ about Applepay till the bit about digitising existing CCs came up. Might have legs this time, I still get a kick from a tap debit card transaction sadly enough.

mogrim

A ‘which way up are you’ software setting is the real innovation there

Dunno, there’s probably a reason the crown is above the button on a left wrist, I don’t doubt that Apple have studied the best way to position them…

Still, not a problem – there’s no way I’m getting an iPhone, far too happy with Android to be bothered changing. And if the new watch forces Samsung et al to up their game – so much the better. (Although currently I think Apple are still playing catch up, the Android offerings are still at least as good or better).

mogrim

That was indeed a wet fish slapped around Googles monetisation practices

My bank has an NFC app that avoids any need for Google services (beyond the Play Store), not sure what the issue is here. I’m sure they’ll have the Apple iOS version out in no time at all.

footflaps

Still, not a problem – there’s no way I’m getting an iPhone, far too happy with Android to be bothered changing. And if the new watch forces Samsung et al to up their game – so much the better. (Although currently I think Apple are still playing catch up, the Android offerings are still at least as good or better).

Burn the Heretic!

jam-bo

Expect queues longer than an iPsters satchel strap.

Never really understood the queuing thing. I phoned O2 upgrades on the launch day of the five and had one delivered by 9am the next day.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I like Windows Phone 8.1 that I received two days ago for free 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sado here watched the launch coverage again tonight, I think the way the camera and video is advancing is really impressive, double shutter speed hd slo mo vs 5S which was already pretty good plus all the image stabilisation

Cougar

Never really understood the queuing thing

“I’ve got it, who wants it for £1500?”

WackoAK
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Well I like Windows Phone 8.1 that I received two days ago for free

Windows 😳
    😆

Wheres the “pointy finger smilie” when you need it? 😆

GrahamS

Dear WackoAK: Welcome to the Joke from Page 5!

😆

(By the way, I love the “We’ve had this stuff for years bit, when the release dates pictured are actually only 22 months apart)

footflaps

Anyone going to get an iPhone 6? I’ll probably do so as my 4s is a bit long in the tooth and out of memory….

molgrips
    Free Member

Best thing about Windows Phone? Not being part of the endless geek bitchfight between Android and iPhone 🙂

Cortana? Teach these guys a lesson…

GrahamS

I’ll probably do so as my 4s is a bit long in the tooth and out of memory….

Radical suggestion: have you considered deleting some stuff??

The missus iPhone 4 ground to a halt recently. Turns out she had less than 500Mb free after taking a gazillion photos and cutesy videos of the kids.

She wanted to keep those on the phone so I deleted her music instead (which she never listens to anyway). 8Gb free and now it runs like new.

Moral: iPhones, like PCs, don’t like getting low on storage.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Dear WackoAK: Welcome to the Joke from Page 5!

Arse! I did check, honest guv!

mrblobby
    Free Member

So orders in tomorrow. People going for the big one or mahoosive one? I think I may go for the latter but still undecided despite having been “living” with my mock up for a day 🙂

Clobber
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the watch does… did someone say it has to be connected to the phone all the time? If so you may as well just use your phone…

Am I being thick?

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone going to get an iPhone 6? I’ll probably do so as my 4s is a bit long in the tooth and out of memory….

Nope. Going to pick up a 5S cheap, hopefully.

Coming from an iPhone 4, it should be a reasonable improvement.

See that cutting edge? That’s me several steps behind 8)

somouk
    Free Member

So orders in tomorrow. People going for the big one or mahoosive one? I think I may go for the latter but still undecided despite having been “living” with my mock up for a day

I’ve struck a deal with a pal for his 5S as he’s going to the 6. Not too sure how popular the mahoosive one is going to be in this country, I think it’s mainly for the asian market.

mogrim

I’m not sure what the watch does… did someone say it has to be connected to the phone all the time? If so you may as well just use your phone…

I think the main reason for having the watch is to use it as a remote for your phone – caller id, messages, control the music etc without taking your phone out of your pocket or bag. Siri also needs a net connection to work – and the watch doesn’t hold a sim card.

Given that, it doesn’t make much sense for it to exist without the phone itself.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 532 total)

The topic ‘Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?’ is closed to new replies.