Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 532 total)
  • Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Done some cardboard mock ups here. Blimey the 6 Plus is quite big, a good inch and a half longer than my 4. Having said that it seems ok in jeans pockets, and it is a lot slimmer than my old 4 too which somehow makes it feel less bulky (and a lot lighter too.)

Anywhoo’s I’m pretty sure Rapha had a word with the Designers from Apple a year or so ago with this very important situation in mind, dontchathink?

Bikebouy, the 6 Plus appears to be made to fit into the smaller middle pocket on a Rapha jersey 🙂 Also fits into pockets on a Gabba without a stretch. Though no way is it getting in any of the waterproof phone cases I’ve got.

Seriously though, even my 4S isn’t always that comfortable when I’m sitting down in jeans. A massive phablet thing would just be a pain.

Not much of a problem as if I’m sitting down I’m usually dicking about on my phone anyway 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

the 6 Plus fits snugly into the smaller middle pocket on a Rapha jersey

Yes but a phone is supposed to fit in the zipped waterproof pocket, to be fair I struggle to squeeze the 5 into the zipped pocket on rapha jerseys. Rapha need to rethink their waterproof pocket size.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The waterproof pocket on a rapha jersey will just about fit an iPod shuffle! I don’t think I’ve ever owned a phone small enough to fit in that pocket.

Gary_M
    Free Member

A 4s fitted in fine.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm maybe a different size. Mines a long sleeved Country jersey and the waterproof pocket is tiny.

Edit… just been for a look and it’s bigger than i thought! The smaller 6 will just about fit in there, though not as nicely as the 5.

jam-bo

it is a telling point about the demographic that the biggest point of concern seems to be if it will fit in your rapha jersey pocket.

i’m off to see if the apple store have started stocking rapha.

Jamie
    Free Member

it is a telling point about the demographic that the biggest point of concern seems to be if it will fit in your rapha jersey pocket.

It’s more about the demographic of this place, TBH.

dragon
    Free Member

Jesus wept nearly £1000 worth of kit on you if you have the phone and watch, just so you can work out your Heart Rate and see what b*llocks Michelle Cound has said on Twitter.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Now there’s a skewed statistic.

slowoldman

Done some cardboard mock ups here. Blimey the 6 Plus is quite big, a good inch and a half longer than my 4. Having said that it seems ok in jeans pockets

How thick and stiff is it? Erm, the cardboard that is.

bikebouy
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

i’m off to see if the apple store have started stocking rapha.

Awe, C’mon iT’s iMportant, ferchiSts sake!! i’M not alone here am i? Clearly not.. or folks wouldn’t be making cardboard mockups..

i’Ll check iT out toniGht when i get home, i’M not keen on all this siZe upscale horsecrap, iT upsets me. 😳

Looks liKe i’Ll have to do a mock up too 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

How thick and stiff is it? Erm, the cardboard that is.

Stiff. Several sheets of card to get the thickness right 🙂

mogrim

Well you may have five inches spare at the crotch of your jeans, but I certainly don’t

Seriously though, even my 4S isn’t always that comfortable when I’m sitting down in jeans. A massive phablet thing would just be a pain.

Weird pockets you have – in the crotch of your jeans? 😯

In normal pockets it’s perfectly comfortable, although I will admit there’s no way to get it out of a jeans pocket if you sitting down.

Now more concerned about the blatant anti-left-handers-racism displayed by Apple, that stupid button/wheel thing on the side of the watch 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Weird pockets you have – in the crotch of your jeans?

It’s where he keeps his rolled up sock. 8)

jam-bo

left handers rejoice…

Also of note is that Apple Watch does support left-handed use. Apple didn’t offer specifics, but it appears as if left-handed use will be supported via a setting. This was a concern because of the amount of interaction via “Digital Crown”, the crown on the watch which is usually on the right of the face, making it difficult for left-handed users.

Cougar

… like almost every other wristwatch since the Big Bang.

mogrim

Also of note is that Apple Watch does support left-handed use. Apple didn’t offer specifics, but it appears as if left-handed use will be supported via a setting. This was a concern because of the amount of interaction via “Digital Crown”, the crown on the watch which is usually on the right of the face, making it difficult for left-handed users.

How are they going to do that? It’s asymmetric, with the windy bit just above (on a left arm wrist) a button. Put it on the other arm and either you’ll be reaching across the watch face to use the controls, or if you turn it upside down the strap will be wrong, and the controls the other way up…

mogrim

… like almost every other wristwatch since the Big Bang.

Yeah, but with most watches the crown isn’t an integral part of day-to-day operation, just something you need to adjust or wind up once a week.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Who let the LefiEs iN ❓

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How are they going to do that?

By telling you it’s fixed and any issue is yours not theirs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The iPad wasn’t the first tablet, in many respects it was evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Likewise with the Watch, this is going to develop further.

I admit I am a finance/”profit and loss” type person but the most significant announcement yesterday was ApplePay.

zilog6128

The iPad wasn’t the first tablet, in many respects it was evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Likewise with the Watch, this is going to develop further.

It was the first tablet that convinced “the masses” it was a good idea though, which is pretty significant! With this sort of thing it really doesn’t matter who did it first; just who did it best. Same with the portable mp3 player, the smartphone, and (I have little doubt) the smart watch. If the other major players don’t bring out something very similar very soon I’d also be pretty surprised.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If the other major players don’t bring out something very similar very soon I’d also be pretty surprised.

from 2013

zilog6128

sorry, should’ve added “… that isn’t shit and people have actually heard of/want to buy” 🙂

It’s pretty obvious that the existing options have either been made by startups with limited resources or as minor projects from big manufacturers, whereas the Apple device has clearly been a major project for some time. I expect Samsung, Sony et al will be making these a bigger priority now.

Cougar

Yeah, but with most watches the crown isn’t an integral part of day-to-day operation, just something you need to adjust or wind up once a week.

Good point. Is it finger-scrollable (rather than requiring finger and thumb to twist)? That’d probably get round the problem.

I’m left handed, incidentally. I dodged this bullet back when I was still in short pants by simply wearing my watch on my left wrist. (I’m more concerned about damaging my engagement / forthcoming wedding ring TBH.)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@zilog agreed I was just trying to point out that every Apple product doesn’t have to a first.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hasn’t it become accepted that Apple is just a refinement company?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cougar – yes you can “roll” the crown with one ringer, at least that what I believed I saw in the video

Cougar

So it’s a non-issue anyway then.

stumpy01

I haven’t seen the press release video thing, but what does Applepay do? Are there not already NFC payment solutions out there? I don’t use anything that can do this (although my phone does have NFC) but I assume ‘virtual wallets’ do exist? Or not? Google Wallet rings a bell.

Is Applepay just using NFC to pay for stuff? Presumably it requires tie-in from banks and/or shops?

zilog6128

Basically. It’s tied in with Passbook (their digital wallet) and I believe it will require TouchID (fingerprint recognition) on iPhone. They have plenty of banks/shops on board already in the US (it launches next month); no word on UK yet though.

jfletch
    Free Member

Is Applepay just using NFC to pay for stuff? Presumably it requires tie-in from banks and/or shops?

This is what makes Apple so successful.

Google built an OS that can comunicate with an NFC chip. Android hardware manufacturers put NFC chips in all their phones. Whoop Whoop. They have a line on a spec sheet that helps them sell their phones.

But they forgot that people actually needed a way to use the thing.

For Apple putting the NFC chip in the phone was only a tiny piece of the puzzle. They’ve also developed a way use it. At launch Apple Pay will work with loads of banks, all the major credit cards and 220,000 retail stores (in the USA). So at launch a large slug of users will be able to buy the phone and then imediately pop to Target, Walgreens, McDs or Starbucks and pay with the thing.

Being apple they have done this in a walled garden kind of way that will piss some people off but the it’s the fact that they have done it at all that makes things actually work. This means that both Android and iPhone users will have NFC chips in their phones but a much higher proportion of iPhone users will actually use them.

The same is true of apps. In theory Android offers so many more possibilities and freedoms to app developers but iPhone users actually buy and use a much higher number of apps because Apple put the extra effort into ensuring they are good.

nemesis
    Free Member

In a sense it’s nothing new (though it does have some good security features and the tinfoil hat brigade will like that Apple don’t actually sees what you’re buying, compared to say Google’s system) as usual but again as usual, Apple have the clout to make it happen and that’s what’s key. Shops will actively want to have Apple Pay as an option. The interesting part is kind of what will eveyrone else do as I assume android won’t play with Apply Pay (iPay?) so will there need to be multiple payment options, a little like Visa and Mastercard but maybe with non-compatible hardware…

muggomagic

This is what makes Apple so successful.

Google built an OS that can comunicate with an NFC chip. Android hardware manufacturers put NFC chips in all their phones. Whoop Whoop. They have a line on a spec sheet that helps them sell their phones.

But they forgot that people actually needed a way to use the thing.

For Apple putting the NFC chip in the phone was only a tiny piece of the puzzle. They’ve also developed a way use it. At launch Apple Pay will work with loads of banks, all the major credit cards and 220,000 retail stores (in the USA). So at launch a large slug of users will be able to buy the phone and then imediately pop to Target, Walgreens, McDs or Starbucks and pay with the thing.

Google wallet is compatible with MasterCard pay pass system so is available in most of the stores you mentioned.

nemesis
    Free Member

Isn’t google wallet US only (for physical payments at least)

jfletch
    Free Member

a little like Visa and Mastercard but maybe with non-compatible hardware…

NFC is the same as the contactless chip in your credit card. Lots of retailers already have the hardware.

Google wallet is compatible with MasterCard pay pass system so is available in most of the stores you mentioned.

Weird that more people don’t use it then. If I had an adroid phone could I just download google wallet, input the details of my mastercard and start paying for things with my phone instead of my contactless master card?

muggomagic

It is. So will apple’s new payment service at 1st. Hopefully google will roll it out to other territories now.

stumpy01

jfletch & nemesis – that’s what I thought it might be. Apple having the clout to push something through and get people on board.

I have to say that I am not convinced it is massively useful in the UK at the moment (and perhaps the rest of Europe?). I have an NFC payment thing in my bank card, but rarely think to use it and then when I do think about it, the place doesn’t have the readers to accept them anyway so I just use Chip & Pin.

But perhaps in a year or two it will become more widespread now Apple have jumped on board.

kimbers

google wallet is US only at the moment, it does visa too but its been around for a few years
    my nexus 4 sometimes makes an nfc noises when its next to my credit card though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Wallet

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stumpy Apple Pay is more than just the Near Field part. Its also a way of encoding your credit card details securely into the special chip (including by pointing the camera at the card) and then paying for things on multiple websites/apps. Its a “total” payment system.

FWIW I have started using NFC payments where I can after barman in pub pointed out that it’s more secure than chip/pin. I will definitely use it on my phone. Apple is very smart as for each payment they will get a fee from the card company and perhaps even from the app provider. Big $$$ potential.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 532 total)

The topic ‘Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?’ is closed to new replies.